JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With all the latest hype on bolt action rifles and big objective lenses.

What do you consider "long range"

I've shot with lots of different folks, many from here and many not.

The phrase always gets thrown around.

"I want a long range rifle"

Or

"This here is my long range rifle"

I always smiled hearing it.

What the hell is "long range"?

Is it past 100 yards? Or is it a mile?

What's your definition?

It would seem that a dedicated long range gun would be in the 1000+ yard range.

Most would be lucky to find anywhere with that kind of range to safely shoot for target practice.
I'd be happy to find a spot to get out to 500 yds.

For me nowadays....I'd say 200 plus yards.
Where I live and hunt 150 yards is a "long shot" ....but I hunt in timber and heavily wooded areas.

I think long range can mean many things depending on :
The skill of the shooter...
What firearm and cartridge used...
Optics or iron sights...
Where you are shooting...
Whether its a target , game animal or if necessary a human...
Andy

I don't have the course I used to teach handy but I had the breakdown by caliber.
its close for conversation sake until I can find it;

Mk262 Mod 0/1 500m
M118LR 800m
Mk248 Mod 0/1 1200/1500
Mk330 Mod 0 1500 and beyond

ETA: Long range is anything beyond the skills of the shooter and limitations of his equipment and training.

ETA Pt. 2
LR Chart.png

Last Edited:
ETA: Long range is anything beyond the skills of the shooter and limitations of his equipment and training.

Best so far in my opinion.

Well then, what's tactical long range?;)

Lol! Kind of the point of this thread.

I personally think "long range" is a marketing term. Created to sell you a rifle you probably don't need. Just like "tactical".

I get all sorts of crap for constantly recommending 223 to folks when they start asking about distance shooting, yes for target and hunting. (Insert the ya'but here)

I'll even recommend 22lr for distance shooting, target only, maybe squirrels. Because it's damn difficult that's why. And a hell of a lot of fun. Set a target at 200 or 300 yards (10-12 inch variety) and practice calculations for wind holds and elevation with a brick or two of ammo is an amazing day shooting.

Keep it going guys! This is an enjoyable read!

I think that when someone says "I'm buying a rifle for long range" or "I'm shooting a long range match this weekend", in that context, the assumption is 600+. That's 95% of what people are talking about when they say "LR". Other posters are also correct when it can mean pushing the limits of whatever you happen to be shooting.

My view is the same a Reacher's entry. The furthest I have shot with my Remington 40X 308/7.62X51 Rifle is 1400 yards at a long range sniper school in Texas. But what is long range to one person is not what another would consider. So for me is 600 yards on out.
I been with he Seal Team Sniper School students and we shot the McMillans and Barrett 50 BMGs way over 1000. On one outing it was at 2200. WOW what a Rush!:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top