JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Define your parameters. 100 yards with a 22lr is long range. The right Indian can slap steal all day long with a 556 AR @ 600 meters with a few beers him. Over mile shots have been made, multiple times.

For me in my practice, long range =
Scoped or iron sight .30 cal "high power rifles" - n/a. Never been able to go someplace with longer range than 250 yards with 'em :-( but 300 to 400 would probably be my long range
AR - 400 yards
.380 and micro 9mm pistol - 50 yards
Full size 9mm and .40 pistol - 100 yards
Pistol caliber carbine with irons - 150 yards
Scoped 10/22 - 200 yard golf balls or 300 yards 10" plates
12g shotgun (not very good with a shotgun still, sadly) - 60 yards stationary target 12"

I know a lot of my numbers are low, and just shooting at 10" plate or bowling pins/tennis balls with most things at distance, so not great. But always working on getting better!
-Mike

I hit a 2'x2' plate at 1000 yards before with my Glock 19.

I will exercise my 5th amendment rights when asked how many rounds I fired before I got my hit.

Define your parameters. 100 yards with a 22lr is long range. The right Indian can slap steal all day long with a 556 AR @ 600 meters with a few beers him. Over mile shots have been made, multiple times.

True. I popped steel at 800 with an AR in 5.56. Hit with the force of a rock thrown. :D

True. I popped steel at 800 with an AR in 5.56. Hit with the force of a rock thrown. :D
I enjoy the challenges of getting 223 to 1000 yards. I found after finding a good load for my 308 that it wasn't all that difficult. I could imagine a round like 300win or 338, probably even stuff like 6.5 creed makes it even easier.

One of my favorite things to do is set clays on a berm at 500 and go at then with a 223/556.

Or 200 yards with the bolt action 22.

Lots of fun with the last one. Man a day with my bolty 22 and a target past 150 yards is the bees knees.

Back around the 2009 time frame the Marine Corps was still using iron sights for our ranges. At the 500 yard line it was pretty easy to go "F*$% that is far..." but hitting the target turned out not to be too difficult with a little patience, good position, and knowledge of sight and wind adjustments.

I'd agree with the majority of posts on this thread that 600 yards would be considered long range shooting. Given that I live on the west side of the Cascades there is almost zero chance of me finding a range over 200 yards....much less shooting at 600.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top