JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got excited when my hunting buddy said we could use pistols for deer hunting in modern firearm season in firearm restricted areas, but it's only revolver type pistols?! WTF is that about?!

I mean I don't mind a reason to go buy a new pistol, but what does it matter if your shooting a revolver or semi auto?

I got excited when my hunting buddy said we could use pistols for deer hunting in modern firearm season in firearm restricted areas, but it's only revolver type pistols?! WTF is that about?!

I mean I don't mind a reason to go buy a new pistol, but what does it matter if your shooting a revolver or semi auto?

.357 or bigger pistols are rare in simi autos. Most hunting rounds I've seen were meant to be for revolvers.

Firearm restricted would give me pause about hunting there though...

Unfortunately I know first hand about allergic reactions, they suck.
It can turn into a life and death battle quickly.
When hunting/fishing I carry two of the "hyper expensive" EPI pens due to a reaction to wasps and bees.
I don't let it stop me though and I tell my hunting partners that if I die out there doing what I love to do to just cut off and pack out my grinning head and hands,,,,,
That's all that's needed to fill a suit in a casket:D

Unfortunately I know first hand about allergic reactions, they suck.
It can turn into a life and death battle quickly.
When hunting/fishing I carry two of the "hyper expensive" EPI pens due to a reaction to wasps and bees.
I don't let it stop me though and I tell my hunting partners that if I die out there doing what I love to do to just cut off and pack out my grinning head and hands,,,,,
That's all that's needed to fill a suit in a casket:D

No testicles to verify sex?:p

Have a mild bee allergy that could turn real bad if stung many times but I'm carful not to go looking for honey in the woods:D.

If I could afford to keep an epi in my kit I would - i was under the impression they are only good for so long and need to be replaced.

If I could afford to keep an epi in my kit I would - i was under the impression they are only good for so long and need to be replaced.

you can make your own for under $20...
the generic drug is about 10 bucks and then a syringe and needle. You need to know how to do it the old fashioned way is all and fill the syringe with the correct dosage amount and squirt the air bubbles out. Thats the only advantage to the epi-pen.

you can make your own for under $20...
the generic drug is about 10 bucks and then a syringe and needle. You need to know how to do it the old fashioned way is all and fill the syringe with the correct dosage amount and squirt the air bubbles out. Thats the only advantage to the epi-pen.

I'd be more than good with that Koda, I suppose the doc can just write a script for that?

I'd be more than good with that Koda, I suppose the doc can just write a script for that?

I imagine thats how it would work. Im not at a computer at the moment but its something I saw in a couple of news articles on the epipen scandal. Since Im not allergic to bees etc. I didnt study the generic route in more detail but I have observed in conversation like this one that many are unaware of the generic route, my guess is the epipen is great for those that dont want know how to stick themselves properly which is understandable. Too bad a lifesaving device is being monopolised like that.

Not sure about OR but I think it takes a doctors script to even get a needle for a syringe. Tried to get a few for an art project for the kid at a medical supply store and they kinda freaked about it until they realized I didn't need or want the needles for them.

Don't forget that in Washington you can get a special tag if you are unfortunate enough to whack a deer or elk with your vehicle. Not the best way to do it and bumper placement is extremely important for the best results!:cool:

Back when I worked at JPL, the place is overrun with unusually tame deer. To the point that they would just walk around the roads on the lab campus. Occasionally the guys who worked at one of the mechanical areas would "whack" one with the forklift which would just so happen to be loaded into his vehicle and taken home for disposal.

Over-all, if you're a new hunter, I highly recommend small game first. It takes a while to build up the skills to take and dress large game. If you walk in 3 miles, and take a 150lb deer, you're probably going to have to quarter it there on the spot. Which also means, you're going to need to field dress it, and find a way of hanging it so other critters don't get to it while you're walking chunks back to your car, and you're going to need your gun the whole time in case a bear takes a shine to your kill. So 4 round trips, that's going to be about 20+ miles of walking to get everything back to your vehicle.

If you go out and shoot your limit of quail, rabbit, or squirrel you can carry all of that with you, and you can dress it all with a pocket knife a pair of scissors and a pair of rubber gloves with about 5 mins each.

First time I took a feral hog, it took me about 45 mins to dress it, I had friends so we carried it down the hill whole (on a pole, like the cartoons), and then I spent the next 6 hours skinning, quartering and butchering.

You'd be surprised what you can buy at a general feed store. Hypo's of all sizes, antibiotics and other stuff for treating wounds and illnesses. No questions asked.

You'd be surprised what you can buy at a general feed store. Hypo's of all sizes, antibiotics and other stuff for treating wounds and illnesses. No questions asked.

Yes Sir. The old school EPI shot was just a syringe pre loaded.

I've given myself plenty of injections over the last five decades after the first reaction.
It's so easy-even an old lineman could do it.

The last 2 years I spent the $117 for the group tags and small game permit.

To do one extra season for deer and elk is $139+$182.

dang it seems expensive to hunt there. no wonder I saw so many Washington plates over in eastern Oregon this last week while I was archery hunting for elk.

(being somewhat sarcastic. its expensive for non resident here)

dont think its a good as the article I skimmed the other day but here is one...article… you ask your doc for a prescription of epinephrine and buy a syringe needle and do it yourself. Again there will be some training involved to do this correctly like a nurse would but I don't think it would be that complicated except that under pressure you'll need to have the training down in your muscle memory… (sounds familiar).

EpiPen alternatives exist, and they may be cheaper | Fox News
scroll down to the bottom of the article...

dont think its a good as the article I skimmed the other day but here is one...article… you ask your doc for a prescription of epinephrine and buy a syringe needle and do it yourself. Again there will be some training involved to do this correctly like a nurse would but I don't think it would be that complicated except that under pressure you'll need to have the training down in your muscle memory… (sounds familiar).

EpiPen alternatives exist, and they may be cheaper | Fox News
scroll down to the bottom of the article...

well if your life depended on it you should teach and show whoever is around you how to do it. Friends, wife, kids, etc.
Never know how fast it will hit and you may not be able to do it yourself.

And I was apparently incorrect. You can hunt with a semi auto, over a certain caliber. My friend and I were looking at using our G20s.

There's a guy on youtube with a couple videos on hunting with a G20. One video he knocks down a bull elk. Dropped that beast quick.

You can hunt with a semi auto, over a certain caliber. My friend and I were looking at using our G20s.
you can hunt with pistols in Oregon too, during the rifle season. Im curious what would be the best 10mm round for deer and black bear? I dont think I would hunt elk with a 10mm...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews