JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I haven't hunted since I was a teenager, and it's about 20 years now... Been going out this season, and so far no luck. But I get it.. that's how it goes.

I'm curious though, excluding boots. If you had $500 to spend on your mid layer and outer layer. What (specifically) would you get? Lets say temps down to 25 degrees with typical Willamette Valley October weather. Meaning lows between 25(maybe)-35 degrees and (like today) rain, more rain, some hail, some wind, fog, and then more rain.

I have a decent base layer. I say decent because I've not been cold so far. flannel long sleeve button up, and a camo fleece. I wanted to be water proof so I bought a camo parka from Bi-Mart. Also got some waterproof pants from bi-mart. Not the greatest stuff, but when buying your entire set up in one season, it can get expensive and so I was on a budget.

They worked fine and kept me dry. Only problem is that they were noisy as hell. Felt like I was 8 years old again wearing corduroy pants. Ended up opting for just wet, quiet, jeans.

So.. looking forward to next year, I'll be regearing over the next 12 months.

So I'm asking some of the more seasoned hunters. What would you recommend in that range.

Links would be great.

And please don't just say "Wool". I know wool. but there are a million different varieties, brands, models, products, etc...

Thanks in advance.

And Good luck to the rest of you. I still got one more week to go.

I have found that the Field and Stream clothing from Dicks works very well. I watch the sales following hunting season and have purchased quite a lot of gear for a third to 50% off. Great clothing for a super price. The Gamehide clothing from Bi-Mart works well too but you want the soft water proof material not any hard shell stuff.

I will also shop BiMart to catch their low ball sales on Gamehide clothing.

Fisherman's Marine runs some good sales from time to time on Riverwest clothing and other brands. You just need to stick your head in their every few weeks until you catch the sales.

Shop right and you will save about half of the retail price. Hunting clothing is something they will stock up on and dump quickly following the season end.

I like the Field and Stream Bibs for fishing in a boat or hunting late season. Very comfortable and warm. Danner Pronghorn boots are warm and comfortable.

For August/Sept hunting lighter weight hunting coats and fleece vests work super well. Don't forget waterproof gloves for both seasons.

For the warmer weather hunts I will buy a pair of Hi Tech high top boots that are waterproof from big 5 at sale pricing. They work well also. No blisters, hold up well and are warm enough with smartwool socks.

Note: On sale at Dicks I see the warm field and stream stuff for $39. Thats half of what you pay for the Columbia clothing or at other locations. Watch their sales very closely if you want to save some major dollars. Most comfortable coats I own.

go find a columbia outlet store i was in the one in lincoln city last weekend they had some amazing deals on gear or take a look on craigslist around march and hunting gear at great prices will pop up, bi mart has riverswest pants and jacket on sale right now 89.00 for the jacket 79.00 for the pants also sign up on camofire and sign up on cabelas and bass pro shop and sierra trading post they have some great deals from time to time

I've been running around with a pair of Rivers West waterproof fleece type pants for the last few seasons. the literature bragged about how durable they were. they have held up very well & I will buy another pair when these wear out. my last 2 hunting jackets have been browning hydro-fleece parkas. If I was on a budget I would consider some new gen. army surplus gore-tex jacket & pants. I bought a jacket off e-bay a while back & am impressed with how tough & well built it is. the only complaint would be that It's a little on the noisy side. Mike.

Bought my rain coat from a garage sale for $25, normally $125. Wear my old carhartt loggers and a pair of work boots. The indians used to kill the elk wearing a pair of leather underwear and used a pointy stick. Didn't cost them much and they were more successful hunters than any Cabelas clad white guy.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews