JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought 500 Russian made .22 LR rounds at a gun show a couple years ago for something like $5. It was stored in a locked and sealed ammo can in my shop. I finally got around to trying it a few days ago. The first 3 rounds didn't ignite, though the firing pin strike was nice and deep. The 4th round was a squib that was nearly inaudible, but cleared the barrel (whew!). At that point I quit using it and went to some Remington .22 LR I had. All was well. The rifle functioned perfectly.

So I have a question. What's the best way to get rid of this bad rimfire ammo?

Drop them into a mature camp fire, stand back 20 feet and allow em to pop. Or, soak them in a coffee can with warm soapy water for a day, then bury them. Rimfire ammo is much less resistant to water then centerfire. The rimfire bullets don't seal as well and will leak with a bit of soap added to the water.

How ironic - I had the same thing happen last night, but with a CCI CB cap. A couple years ago I found a 100 round plastic box of CCI CB caps in a traded in RV and wanted to see what they would do so I dropped one into the chamber of my Bersa 644 and shot at a wood block in my shop and the primer wet pop and that was it and the bullet stuck in the barrel about a 1/2 inch. I don't know how long they were in the RV but they sat for a couple years on a shelf of my loading bench before last night.

All joking aside, pulling the bullets with pliers is a good idea. If you don't want to do all that work, you could take them to your local range and drop them in the "dud" can.

Pulling 22LR bullets with pliers is trivial, I had a bunch of .22LR that managed to have a bottle of hoppes spilled on it (not by me mind you), but somehow I ended up with the bag. I ended up just ripping all the bullets out, dumping the powder into a coffee can. The bullets were melted down, and are a good source of pure lead for bullet casting, the cases got washed and cleaned and I plan to use them for making .223 jackets one of these days, and the powder got burned up for new years.

I would suggest looking to see if your county or municipality has a "Household Hazardous Waste" event. If you are more rural, try contacting Or. DEQ, hazardous waste section to see if they are having a regional collection event. These are inexpensive ways of properly disposing of all sorts of things we don't want in the environment.

1. Save them for the mandatory, Federal turn in that is on the way and tell them it's all the ammo that you have. 2. Leave them with the cheap, decoy .22 you should have out for the crack heads who break into your house. 3. You could probably get $50 for them at the next Tacoma buy back. 4.Dump them in a dud can at the range so a re-loader can get the lead 5. Toss them out in the mud at low tide.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top