JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These CVAs come with a threaded hammer spur and extension. Kind of a nice little plus over the H&Rs.

View attachment 318334
Actually, H&R used to offer those as an option on their rifles, at one time, too.
I watched the video again and I see what you're doing now.
Mistake on my part.
Sorry about that.
I went back to the site and noticed that they do indeed offer a 20 ga. shotgun.
I may need to look into this a little closer.
Would be cool to have a rifle/shotgun package that uses the same receiver.

Dean

I just bought a single shot 12 gauge Rossi shotgun (it's being cerakoted right now) and ordered some adapters from gunadapters.com. When I went to a local-ish gun shop to find muzzle loading supplies to use with my adapter (which hold a 209 primer in the chamber) the guy behind the counter said, "don't do that!" I'm wondering what others might think about this. There are a few videos of people on youtube using this adapter in their shotguns. The gun shop guy said black powder is an explosive, whereas the smokeless powder in a 12 gauge shell is a propellant. And that black powder could damage my gun and possibly blow up in my face. Does he know what he's talking about? I bought some Pyrodex R/S to use for this, and some zinc coated steel bbs, but now I'm hesitant to use it!

So, if I understand you correctly, you're converting a break action single shot shotgun, into a muzzle loading shotgun, correct?
So the adapter is a plug for the chamber that features a nipple to put a primer on, correct?

So, if I understand you correctly, you're converting a break action single shot shotgun, into a muzzle loading shotgun, correct?
So the adapter is a plug for the chamber that features a nipple to put a primer on, correct?
That's right! I've seen videos of people using it this way, and it seems to work great. the employee in question did admit that he knew less about Pyrodex R/S, which is the powder that was recommended to use with the adapter (and which was used by the folk on youtube).

Regarding the black powder adapter...
While I do not have one...I have shot a shotgun that used one.
And yes Black powder is a explosive , while smokeless is a propellant.

With that said...
black powder and Pyrodex burns with less pressure than smokeless...
You and your shotgun will be fine with this adapter.
As much as I love pure black powder ...I do however suggest that Pyrodex be used here.

Be warned that Pyrodex is much more corrosive that black powder...
Be sure to clean after shooting...using warm soapy water , your favorite BP solvent or Windex W/ ammonia .
Dry...then clean like you would a "regular" gun....be sure to check in a day in case of rust.
Andy

Regarding the black powder adapter...
While I do not have one...I have shot a shotgun that used one.
And yes Black powder is a explosive , while smokeless is a propellant.

With that said...
black powder and Pyrodex burns with less pressure than smokeless...
You and your shotgun will be fine with this adapter.
As much as I love pure black powder ...I do however suggest that Pyrodex be used here.

Be sure to clean after shooting...using warm soapy water , your favorite BP solvent or Windex W/ ammonia .
Dry...then clean like you would a "regular" gun....be sure to check in a day in case of rust.
Andy
I'm feeling better about this. Thanks for your response. It's really more of a backup option. And I couldn't pass up a good deal on this shotgun. I'm wondering how it would do for kayak hunting (with shells, not muzzle loading), but that's for a different thread!

I have few single-shot rifles, but since we are talking about traditional stuff, howsabout this?

1595363079568.png

.45-70 Govt. Uberti - nasty stock though....................:oops:

tac Those Uberti's are a nice rifle....they do make one with a "Shotgun" butt....makes shooting a rifle in .45-70 a bit more better....:D Neat that you have that one though...Andy

It was more by luck than choice. I've been jonesing after a High Wall since I shot a buddy's .38-55 in a competition and cam third out of forty-eight. None in that calibre this year Mr tac, the importer told me. About a week later I went to my LGS to get some powder and this was on the rack - a local old boy, who somehow manages to change his guns two or three times a year [here in UK it often takes that long to do just one] had put it on the rack ,as you see it, with a half-used box of .405gr FMJs. At half-price.

Fifteen weeks later it was mine.

I've never figured out how to get more than 45gr of 3Fg into the case, or I simply stick with 4198 and 405gr lead flat-nose. The great thing about the design is that you can clean the barrel through after every shot.

It really is a lovely thing - such elégance, eh? I've had a x6 Winchester 5B scope on order for a while now, and hoping to see it sometime this year.

I've never figured out how to get more than 45gr of 3Fg into the case,
The brass .45-70 cartridges of today are thicker then the ones of the 1870's - 1890's...
So you will be lucky to get 45gr- 65gr in a modern case.

I'd like a Hi-Wall ( original or replica ) in .30 - 30 wcf....well all its takes is money...:eek: :D
Andy

A couple more pics for you, since you seem to like it...
1595364945929.png
1595365025346.png
YOM is CH - 2011.
1595365081246.png
This little clip always make me smile - his very first time shooting ANY rifle- he insisted on shooting something that was going to leave a lasting impression!

My pleasure, Sir. Next time I take it out I'll make one of my little 'walk-round' movies. The only thing missing is the three-piece cleaning rod usually stowed in the butt compartment. The OO lost it. Pillock.

The only Single shot I have is a Competitor Single Shot. Chambered in 444 Marlin, it is capable of launching a 300gr .429 bullet at 2150 fps or so. Have not yet chronographed it. This is not one that you take to the range with 200 rounds....

EDIT: I also have 14" .223 and 16" .25-06 barrels. The .25-06 is much more fun to shoot.

IMG_2460.JPG

Last Edited:
My old pal John had one of these, but with a slightly longer barrel, in .223 Rem. It was, I recall, a hoot to shoot. I've got a movie somewhere of him shooting it - I might put it on YT.

Another maker, here in UK, was Paramount, who built made a bolt-action in any medium cartridge. Me, I had a Remington XP100 in .221 Remington Fireball but it was just SOOOOOO loud I had to move it on to somebody else. Then I had it in 7mm BR, and the axe fell......

I've never figured out how to get more than 45gr of 3Fg into the case, or I simply stick with 4198 and 405gr lead flat-nose.
Sorry, but I had to do the math on this one.
So according to Andy, a modern .45-70 case is thicker than the originals, so you'll be lucky to get 45-65 gr's. of 3FG in one.
If we average that to 55gr's., we could say that the modern case only has 78.57143% of the capacity of the originals.
If the same holds true "across-the-board", then a modern .45-90 case should have a capacity of 70.714287 gr'.s.
...of course, you'll have to have the gun rechambered for the longer case, but its a means to an end.

...or just use 4198 over an 405 gr LFN bullet in the .45-70 case. ;)

Dean

I don't believe this is entirely true but I do believe it is AS corrosive as BP.

Having used both I have not found Pyrodex to be any more corrosive than BP as long as the gun it is used in is cleaned in a timely and proper manner.

There has been a lot of discussion over the years about Pyrodex being 'more corrosive' than BP but most of this was probably due to users thinking it was less corrosive because it was sold as an 'alternative' to BP and many probably thought this equated to it not requiring the strict cleaning as BP - which it does without question.

Last Edited:
I don't believe this is entirely true but I do believe it is AS corrosive as BP.

Having used both I have not found Pyrodex to be any more corrosive than BP as long as the gun it is used in is cleaned in a timely and proper manner.

There has been a lot of discussion over the years about Pyrodex being 'more corrosive' than BP but most of this was probably due to users thinking it was less corrosive because it was sold as an 'alternative' to BP and many probably thought this equated to it not requiring the strict cleaning as BP - which it does without question.

In my experience with Pryodex...both using it and seeing others use it ....
I have found it to be more corrosive than pure black powder....
Hence my statement.
I do not like to suggest its use...unless it can be avoided.

The above does include when the firearm was cleaned in a timely and proper manner....
Again I do not like to suggest for others to use it...as it did not live up to its claims , for me and others.

If someone else has had a better or different experience...then that is great for them...
But that was not my experiences with Pryodex.

I do agree that far too many folks think that one can be "lax" when cleaning after using Pyrodex...
And that can cause issues and misunderstandings about it.
Andy

If we average that to 55gr's., we could say that the modern case only has 78.57143% of the capacity of the originals.

The original 1873 "Trapdoor" carbine load was with 55 grains of black powder....
This was done , because the recoil with the "Infantry load" of 70 grains was a bit much with the lighter Carbines.

So 55 grains of black powder in a .45-70 cartridge , was not unheard of , and not without a track record.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top