JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a fool for an inexpensive gun. I bought my fair share of 100 dollar Mosins, NEF shotguns, as well as anything else in the 1-2 hundred dollar range.

Low and behold Sportsmans Warehouse starts carrying CVA single shot rifles, since H&R called it quits and their market is jumping into the 3-4 hundreds, so I finally found a 223 single!

Adding it to the collection of singles wasn't too hard. However, they are gaining in numbers!!!

So, who else has a thing for the little light guys that go bang one at a time?

One good thing, I doubt these are on any politicians radar :s0001:

I always thought a Handi would fit well into the collection. There was a .300blk listed here a while back and I kick myself for not jumping on it!

My dream rifle is a single shot.

Winchester model 1885 Hi Wall in 45-70 gov. 30" octagon barrel, Checkered deluxe Walnut pistol grip stock, Crescent butt plate, Double set triggers, Lee Shaver long range Vernier sights, as well as a William Malcolm 6X long tube style scope and adjustable mounts.

A good Uberti Reproduction would do me just fine.

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/1885HighWallSpecial32_L.jpg

Hi Walls are beautiful rifles.
I'd like one in .30-40 Krag.
Right now the only single shot centerfire rifle I have is a 1883 dated Springfield "Trapdoor" Infantry rifle.
It is as issued except for the front sight.
I took out the issue sight and put in a taller front sight for 100 yard and less shooting.
Andy

I have two single shot rifles. One is a BSA cadet training rifle from WW1, made for the Australian military that was chambered in .310 Rook and rechambered to .32-20. Had to have it to go with my BSA motorcycle.
The other is a .308 handi-rifle that I had the barrel threaded; I shoot 220 grain subsonics with a suppressor. The handi-rifle sounds like a pneumatic nail gun.
My dad has a few Remington rolling blocks, black powder rifles and a Sharps by Armi Sport.

I picked up a Chiappa little badger .22 mag because it was cheap enough that I could tuck it under the rear seat in my car, and not worry about it. Anywhere I go I have 12 rounds that could mean 12 meals, or 12 fewer threats. It's also threaded for my Spectre 2. I grew up running around with an H&R Snake Charmer .410 as my first gun. Every soda can in my life cowered in fear.

Was given a Remington Model 6 single shot .22 when I was much younger. Unique features (to me) were the rolling block "ejector" and a thumbscrew to remove the barrel. It was in fine well-used shape with plenty of patina and a little cardboard pad squeezed under the slightly crooked rear sight. I saw that and thought "I'll have to replace that shim and zero the sights." No need, it was still dead on.

I can't tell you how many pleasant hours were spent with friends (after all the noisy semi-auto stuff was exhausted) sitting on the back of my pickup on a desert hill, no earplugs required, passing that gun back and forth, picking insanely distant targets and saying "Okay, watch this..."

Taught my son how to shoot with it. When the original owner became a grandfather, I gave it back to him to pass down in the family.

Just found this picture online.
remington model 6.jpg

I'm a fool for an inexpensive gun. I bought my fair share of 100 dollar Mosins, NEF shotguns, as well as anything else in the 1-2 hundred dollar range.

Low and behold Sportsmans Warehouse starts carrying CVA single shot rifles, since H&R called it quits and their market is jumping into the 3-4 hundreds, so I finally found a 223 single!

Adding it to the collection of singles wasn't too hard. However, they are gaining in numbers!!!

So, who else has a thing for the little light guys that go bang one at a time?

One good thing, I doubt these are on any politicians radar :s0001:

Don't lie to yourself, they all are on their radar.

I had a Handi rifle in 500 s&w, as a companion to the handgun, it was pretty fun. It was easier to manage the recoil, and less difficult to aim at and hit farther targets. Ended up selling it when I sold the revolver, but looks like I should have held on to it as replacing it now would cost twice the amount for which I sold it. Danger of cheap guns is treating them cheaply, you never know what will grow in value monetarily or sentimentally. I feel like I learned that lesson too well, now I have trouble selling even one of my 10 Mosins.

My favorite gun of my own to shoot is a single shot by the way. Armalite AR-50 50bmg, one round of 50 gives me more satisfaction than 1000 rounds of 22lr. Thankfully I've been lucky to the ammo from $2-.2.50 a round consistently so I don't have to pay the same price as 1000 rds of 22.

I have a single shot.

Each shot puts more lead down range than thirteen trigger pulls from a 5.56.
And there's more than 13,000 Foot Pounds of energy behind it.

Sometimes one shot is just better.
Like when the Bad Guy thinks he is hiding behind a 4' diameter tree. ;)

Darn 50 guys. Making me feel inadequate about the singles I own!

I have one BP rifle, a Hawken clone - still waiting to get out and shoot it, just been pressed for time.

I also have have a break-barrel 12 gauge that I pair up with a set of Chiappa X-Caliber adapters, that allow me to shoot any of the following from that same gun - accurate to at least 50 yards+ with the rifled adapters: 20 gauge, .410, .45 colt, .45acp, .44mag, .357, .38, 9mm, .380 I found the set used on Ebay and paid half the new price. The adapters are a ton of fun to shoot. X-CALIBER GAUGE ADAPTER SET, 8 PCS - Modern - Accessories

And, if it counts, I do have a BP revolver too - since each round has to be individually hand loaded, maybe that fits in?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top