JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have one BP rifle, a Hawken clone - still waiting to get out and shoot it, just been pressed for time.

I also have have a break-barrel 12 gauge that I pair up with a set of Chiappa X-Caliber adapters, that allow me to shoot any of the following from that same gun - accurate to at least 50 yards+ with the rifled adapters: 20 gauge, .410, .45 colt, .45acp, .44mag, .357, .38, 9mm, .380 I found the set used on Ebay and paid half the new price. The adapters are a ton of fun to shoot. X-CALIBER GAUGE ADAPTER SET, 8 PCS - Modern - Accessories

And, if it counts, I do have a BP revolver too - since each round has to be individually hand loaded, maybe that fits in?
I remember when these were just coming out. Originally they had 223, 7.62x39 on the list of adapters too. I wonder why they didn't go through with making them.

I remember when these were just coming out. Originally they had 223, 7.62x39 on the list of adapters too. I wonder why they didn't go through with making them.

I heard there was a problem with those calibers, can't remember what it was - but there is another manufacturer out there that does make them, though that name escapes me at the moment. I do love the adapters though - a great, fun accessory.

I heard there was a problem with those calibers, can't remember what it was - but there is another manufacturer out there that does make them, though that name escapes me at the moment. I do love the adapters though - a great, fun accessory.
I've been keeping my eyes open for a less expensive set. I have s shotgun build I did up that would be perfect for this type of thing.

IMG_1475.JPG

Thank you Medic!
Hard to beat a good lever action rifle or carbine ... As for "primitive" is it primitive to know how to use iron sights and work a lever , to know how to stalk in close and get your game?
Or is it primitive to buy a gadget or gun that allows you to rely on it and its perceived advantages to "shoot better"?
Andy

I'm thinking I'll have to try something like this once I get it scoped.

Still not sure if I want to scope it or red dot it. The 300 black is red dotted.

As it sits it came with an integrated scope mount.

IMG_2155.JPG

Was looking around on google for custom cut single 223s. Came across this and had to share it here.

IMG_2157.JPG

Yeah, I started with Thompson Center Contenders. I have two of those now. Both in 7X30 Waters. One is a carbine. The other is a handgun. A Remington XP100 was next. That is a great little gun. I use it for shooting silhouette. I bought an old 12 gage that doesn't have a firing pin. Still working on getting it put into service. My favorite is a New England Arms carbine in 500 S&W. I really cannot afford to buy ammo for that one, but it digests hand loads with no problem. It is not as accurate as I would like, but out to 100 yards I can keep them in the black. I think a different sight might help my aging eyes.

There's so much to be said about a "beater" single shot. I use the term beater very loosely. Mine were only beaten up prior to me owning them. Haven't stepped into the single shot rifle realm but I've got two .410's and a 20 gauge H&R. Can't beat the .410 for a little brush gun when scoping out hunting areas for opening day and hoping a grouse will pop up. Or with the hand loaded 410 slugs for slightly largely animals.

There's so much to be said about a "beater" single shot. I use the term beater very loosely. Mine were only beaten up prior to me owning them. Haven't stepped into the single shot rifle realm but I've got two .410's and a 20 gauge H&R. Can't beat the .410 for a little brush gun when scoping out hunting areas for opening day and hoping a grouse will pop up. Or with the hand loaded 410 slugs for slightly largely animals.
Once you get one rifle they will multiply.

I want a 357 mag and a 7.62x39 next. I'll keep my eyes open!

I'm a fool for an inexpensive gun. I bought my fair share of 100 dollar Mosins, NEF shotguns, as well as anything else in the 1-2 hundred dollar range.

Low and behold Sportsmans Warehouse starts carrying CVA single shot rifles, since H&R called it quits and their market is jumping into the 3-4 hundreds, so I finally found a 223 single!

Adding it to the collection of singles wasn't too hard. However, they are gaining in numbers!!!

So, who else has a thing for the little light guys that go bang one at a time?

One good thing, I doubt these are on any politicians radar :s0001:
My thing is more single shot shotguns, but if they ever make a 12 ga. barrel that will fit that receiver, I'm definitely getting the .35 Whelen version!
The barrel unlock on the trigger guard reminds me of the old Baikal singles...of course they're no longer available......of course;)

Dean

Last Edited:
I'm thinking I'll have to try something like this once I get it scoped.
Still not sure if I want to scope it or red dot it. The 300 black is red dotted.
As it sits it came with an integrated scope mount.
View attachment 317432
I'm noticing you have to cock the hammer before you settle in and take aim.
That's not always an advantageous situation to be in.
I remember there used to be extensions that clamped onto the tang of a hammer and you were able to grab the thumbscrew that locked the extension onto the hammer, thus allowing you to settle in on the gun before cocking the hammer, without having to deal with a scope that didn't leave you enough room to grab the hammer.
They were real popular with the Marlin 336 crowd that used scopes on their rifles.
I'm sure someone still makes those.
Might help....if you feel you need it.

Dean

I'm noticing you have to cock the hammer before you settle in and take aim.
That's not always an advantageous situation to be in.
I remember there used to be extensions that clamped onto the tang of a hammer and you were able to grab the thumbscrew that locked the extension onto the hammer, thus allowing you to settle in on the gun before cocking the hammer, without having to deal with a scope that didn't leave you enough room to grab the hammer.
They were real popular with the Marlin 336 crowd that used scopes on their rifles.
I'm sure someone still makes those.
Might help....if you feel you need it.

Dean
These CVAs come with a threaded hammer spur and extension. Kind of a nice little plus over the H&Rs.

IMG_2163.JPG

I have a couple 1885's, a couple Handi-rifles and a Contender Carbine. Maybe more, that I've just forgotten about. :) Used to have a Thompson Center TCR but that got sold off. I guess I have the single-shot fever...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top