JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After all these years of being around firearms, for the first time I got to fire a Dan Wesson revolver. These revolvers are a Holy Grail for me I even have a magazine cover laminated and preserved when the original 445 Supermag was advertised and first hit the market.

Dan Wesson has a long lineage from the 1980's and hold many records even today in metallic shooting. Where shooters were required to knock down life sized often heavy steel targets that mimicked wild life. With increasing popularity in handgun hunting I think it is time for CZ/Dan Wesson to get back in the revolver market.

Unfortunately Dan Wesson has changed hands a number of times and are now owned by CZ. When this transaction originally took place, in my heart I had hoped CZ would resurrect the Dan Wesson revolver line. Unfortunately many years later CZ would also acquire Colt and brought back to life the Prancing Pony on some beautiful Colt revolvers. I am still not satisfied CZ I want, we want Dan Wesson revolvers back. This revolver was a marvel of engineering in the 80's and would be the just as exhilarating today. Now I am truly unsure of CZ's strategy after acquiring two legends in the market. So do this mean one brand was purchased for it's 1911's (Dan Wesson) the other brand was purchased for it's Revolvers and AR15's (Colt)?

I know these revolvers were complex for it's time, someone at CZ I am sure is up to the challenge. Put Dan Wesson Revolvers back on the market for us.

Thumnail-copy6-1.jpg

Northwest Firearms cmon let's send a strong message by replying to this thread and showing your interest in Dan Wesson revolvers. Tell us your favorite Dan Wesson experience.

Can a fella dream is there a new Dan Wesson 445 Supermag in my future? I hope so but until then I guess 44 Mag will have to do.

Thumnail-copy11.jpg

CZ/Dan Wesson if any executives are listening <strong>NOW IS THE TIME</strong> you can apply extreme pressure with your brands Dan Wesson and Colt to others in the revolver market.

I like Dan Wesson revolvers...many that I have seen or shot are of very high quality.

As far as CZ purchasing Dan Wesson....
I wonder.....

When a firearm company purchases another firearm company , if it ain't about bringing back a favorite or keeping something going...
Its more about getting rid of competition.
Or just so the owners , who may not even be "gun guys"...can just make more dollars.
Andy

Andy please let my heart be filled with joy LOL it has to be about bringing them back LOL.
Oh don't get me wrong...
I do hope CZ brings back a well made Dan Wesson revolver.

I have just seen to many firearm companies get bought out and run into the ground..
As they were raided for whatever profit that could be made.
Andy

My first revolver was a Dan Wesson 357 purchased in 1978. Also purchased several barrels and shrouds for it.
Wife worked at Payless in Yakima and I got a discount. Sold it years ago and upgraded to a Smith and Wesson.
I much preferred the Smith. Some of the machining was rough on the Dan Wesson. The barrel was rough
and did lead up easily. I never got the hype about Dan Wesson revolvers I considered them 'B' grade at best.

I have a Dan Wesson 44 mag with 8" heavy barrel. It has had thousands of rounds through it. It is the most accurate revolver I have ever had or shot. It is the only firearm I will never part with. I have killed deer and elk with it. I have had Ruger and Smith and Wesson and the accuracy doesn't compare.

Oh don't get me wrong...
I do hope CZ brings back a well made Dan Wesson revolver.

I have just seen to many firearm companies get bought out and run into the ground..
As they were raided for whatever profit that could be made.
Andy
Oh I know exactly where you were going sir ;) I m just blindly holding out on hope LOL.

A little history. Dan Wesson only made occasional batches of the 715 stainless revolver after 1998 or so and stopped completely around 2005 when they started talking to CZ about a sale agreement. CZ actually brought the 715 back into production a decade later and built them in limited quantities until discontinuing them in 2020 due to high production costs and low interest due their $1,500 price tag. Your request will likely fall on deaf ears. I have a very early Monson built 715 and also an early 15-2. Beautiful firearms and insanely accurate but I wouldn't pay $1,500 for one. Probably more like $2,000 today.

I remember in the early 80's when Dan Wessons were crushing the Colts and Smiths in Metallic Silhouette.
I had to have one.
In 1982 I bought a DW 6" Vent Heavy Stainless .357....my first revolver.
I think the serial # is something 5xxx.
The ol' guy at Shelton Sporting Goods in Grants Pass said that is was one of the first stainless DW's

At the time I was working with a guy that thought he was a pretty good shot.
We made a bet....loser buys dinner.
Josephine County Range....he had a Smith Model 19 6" and I had the new DW.
25 yards....off the bench....best 6rd group wins .

I had been dry-fire practicing as much as I could leading up to the match.
We shot the targets, I think Don went first.
I bore down and shot as clean as I could.
The groups looked pretty even at first glance.
The measuring stick showed Don's group at 2-1/2"......mine was 2-1/4"

One thing I learned that day....revolver side spray.
My left index finger had specks of blood....looked like a tiny shotgun pattern.
Those powder kernels stayed visible under the skin like a tattoo for years.

I remember in the early 80's when Dan Wessons were crushing the Colts and Smiths in Metallic Silhouette.
I had to have one.
In 1982 I bought a DW 6" Vent Heavy Stainless .357....my first revolver.
I think the serial # is something 5xxx.
The ol' guy at Shelton Sporting Goods in Grants Pass said that is was one of the first stainless DW's

At the time I was working with a guy that thought he was a pretty good shot.
We made a bet....loser buys dinner.
Josephine County Range....he had a Smith Model 19 6" and I had the new DW.
25 yards....off the bench....best 6rd group wins .

I had been dry-fire practicing as much as I could leading up to the match.
We shot the targets, I think Don went first.
I bore down and shot as clean as I could.
The groups looked pretty even at first glance.
The measuring stick showed Don's group at 2-1/2"......mine was 2-1/4"

One thing I learned that day....revolver side spray.
My left index finger had specks of blood....looked like a tiny shotgun pattern.
Those powder kernels stayed visible under the skin like a tattoo for years.
How was dinner?

The real reason CZ bought Colt was for US LE contracts. Plus the fact that they were able to buy it for a song. They have been very vocal about that. The revolver market is secondary. The reason they bought Dan Wesson was because they got a bargain on a failing company that would give them a manufacturing footprint in the US. I can tell you with all certainty that the DW 1911's since CZ are of superior quality to the ones DW was building in the early 2000's and prior. The 715 revolvers built in the last years were also more refined than the originals.

One of the very first Revolvers I ever bought was a Dan Wesson Mod 15 Stainless 5 in .44 Mag, and I absolutely KICKED my own arse for selling it! Took me many years to find another, but I corrected my errors once and for all! That Mod-15 shoots extremely well, and gives the Colts a serious run for the money! While I prefer my Anaconda as a carry piece, that Dan Wesson gets to stretch it's legs at the range more often then not, and ALWAYS a pleasure to shoot! I do hope CZ brings the D.W's back, but wouldn't count on it, especially with the Colt Snakes getting the popularity right now!

The real reason CZ bought Colt was for US LE contracts. Plus the fact that they were able to buy it for a song. They have been very vocal about that. The revolver market is secondary. The reason they bought Dan Wesson was because they got a bargain on a failing company that would give them a manufacturing footprint in the US. I can tell you with all certainty that the DW 1911's since CZ are of superior quality to the ones DW was building in the early 2000's and prior. The 715 revolvers built in the last years were also more refined than the originals.
If they truly purchased them for LE contracts they are a day late. Though they still have SOME contracts the majority of departments have long moved away from colt rifles because of the expense I have first hand experience with this. It has become worst because of defunding. This is only a sample of one but directly from the manual, but via conferences I know of many more. S&W has been winning most that come up for bid.

Department Issued Semi-automatic rifles (Patrol Rifles) a. Bushmaster XM15-E2S b. Smith and Wesson Military and Police (M&P15) 1) Authorized ammunition for all patrol rifles is Winchester 5.56, 64 grain bonded solid base

I have no idea of the ratios nationwide but I do know Deschutes County just took delivery of a large shipment of Colt AR's and their retired Colts were donated to Malheur County so they can requisition new ones in their next budget. With CZ taking an aggressive run at this market you may see some movement in contract pricing. IDK.