JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thankful for the Off Topic section here, because this certainly is.

I'm hoping to find out how other NWFA participants have cut the cable - more specifically, gotten rid of Comcast, Dish, Frontier, Direct TV, etc., etc., along with their trademark spotty service, binding contracts and rapacious billing increases.

I know the simple answer is to swear off TV altogether, but that's not my objective. Mrs. Teflon and I enjoy relaxing together in front of the tube, especially when it's too cold or wet (or smoky) to go for a brisk walk (and we usually watch while we work out).

I've heard of various gadgets that pull in a basic live TV signal for free, but aside from the "news," we seldom watch anything live. We like to pre-record shows to watch later at our convenience, and "zoom" all the loud, insulting, repetitive commercials.

Then there's internet for surfing the web, participating here at NWFA, and email, most of which we use daily, Comcast is a handy single-source provider, but those substantial bills and inevitable increases sour my stomach.

Some of you have already been where I think I'm trying to go. What are some viable alternatives if I want to continue using the same sort of services without paying so damn much? Appreciate advice.

Last Edited:
Cut everything except internet. We stream youtube, netflix, amazon prime. Netflix and amazon equal about $10 each per month, and youtube is free and surprisingly decent for news and documentaries.

We cut cable 3 years ago.
Paying an obscene amount of money for tv with horrible programming
which is 30% commercials finally got to us. We do not miss it at all.
One surprising affect it has had is the atmosphere in our home
is more relaxed now without the talking heads bringing death, destruction
and mayhem into our home, all with a huge smile on their face.
When news media personalities became "stars" they all became irrelevant.

I love my dish and dvr.
It's kind of funny when people start getting 3, 4, or 5 different subscriptions and end up paying around the same.
To each their own I guess.
As far as over the air...that really depends on where you live as to what channels you can pick up.

We run an external antenna on a pole about 40 feet high We get about 35 channels but many are duplicates. As they are the same channel just on different repeaters. 35 free channels and still nothing to watch. LOL

I had Frontier/Verizon Fios in the city and I really miss it. I have literally cut the cable because where I live the choice is 1.5 mbps DSL or 3.5 mbps wireless thru Upward Access who provides long distance WiFi to us hill billys that can't get real broadband.

So I use Amazon Prime with FireTV/Netflix/Starz. Occasionally I subscribe to HBO to get Game of Thrones.

Amazon, Netflix, YouTube and unless you need local/live a lot of network shows are available online 1-7 days after they air that you can get to with any browser. We also have a Roku so that we don't use a PC for streaming/watching and that also lets us get some additional stuff.

We cut cable 3 years ago.
Paying an obscene amount of money for tv with horrible programming
which is 30% commercials finally got to us. We do not miss it at all.
One surprising affect it has had is the atmosphere in our home
is more relaxed now without the talking heads bringing death, destruction
and mayhem into our home, all with a huge smile on their face.
This here is gospel. Seems everyone feels this way. Cut ours 5 years ago. Heck of a move for us with 5 kids.

I have my phone and internet (work) but have been cable free for 3-4 years now.

Im a little out of a loop as far as shows go, but aside from that Im not missing much. WAY too much political pandering and virtue signaling on modern TV these days. So much so I just find it all too obnoxious to watch.

Of course the "mega" must see shows that avoid all that nonsense Ill read about and pick up later when/where I can.

Im a movie person anyway so its never bothered me.

I have this antenna mounted on top of my fence after the wife cancelled the cable TV. We still have comcast for the internet but you have to pay someone for it unless you just want to run off of your phone. Got it on Amazon.

81Q-ZPoMx-L._AC_SX200_SY200_.jpg

I'm hoping to find out how other NWFA participants have cut the cable - more specifically, gotten rid of Comcast, Dish, Frontier, Direct TV, etc., etc., along with their trademark spotty service, binding contracts and rapacious billing increases.

I know the simple answer is to swear off TV altogether, but that's not my objective. Mrs. Teflon and I enjoy relaxing together in front of the tube, especially when it's too cold or wet (or smoky) to go for a brisk walk (and we usually watch while we work out).

I've heard of various gadgets that pull in a basic live TV signal for free, but aside from the "news," we seldom watch anything live. We like to pre-record shows to watch later at our convenience, and "zoom" all the loud, insulting, repetitive commercials.

Then there's internet for surfing the web, participating here at NWFA, and email, most of which we use daily, Comcast is a handy single-source provider, but those substantial bills and inevitable increases sour my stomach.

Some of you have already been where I think I'm trying to go. What are some viable alternatives if I want to continue using the same sort of services without paying so damn much? Appreciate advice.
Punch in your address and see what is available to you for free.
Use address over zip code for more detailed results.
AntennaWeb.org - Antenna Signal Prediction

Last Edited:
We dropped cable TV about four years ago. Only thing I miss is the Sponge Bob. Kept the Internet and got Prime and netflix. Unfortunately, the content on both is really lacking these days. Most of the movies stink and the the series shows don't interest me (get off my lawn). Once all the kids are out of the house I will drop netflix altogether.
I recently picked up a small DTV antenna at the Goodwill for six bucks. I figured I would try it and what do you know it works great. From inside my house I can pull in about 20+ channels.

IMG_20181229_104936.jpg

WORD!

What!? Say yes to the dress and My 6000 pound life and My big fat gypsy wedding for hours on end don't keep you and the wife entertained? You guys must be hard to please. o_O

I'm in the same boat as you. Disgusted! I don't have a lot of knowledge how the streaming thing works. We have an old ROKU, and I get the idea that you don't need that little box IF you have a newer smart TV. Our TV is fine, though 9 YO.. We pay netflix $9.95/month to run through the ROKU. Can a person use the plain old router that we've been using for somewhere around 7, maybe 8 years. Or would the router need to have a higher output/be more powerful?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top