JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for someone who can make me a custom tool roll for the items pictured. I'd like it to be waxed canvas, but regular canvas or heavy duty nylon would be fine as well.

Any suggestions? I know @CamoDeafie dabbles in nylon gear, but not sure if this is in his wheelhouse.

1687548228753.png

This will be used so it can't be just a decorative rig.

You looking for something like this? but smaller and for blades.
1687552420917.png I watched my Dad wax canvas. He heated kerosene and melted the paraffin (I think) in it. I don't know the proportions, brushed the mixture on and let it sun dry till the kerosene evaporated.

I'm looking for someone who can make me a custom tool roll for the items pictured. I'd like it to be waxed canvas, but regular canvas or heavy duty nylon would be fine as well.

Any suggestions? I know @CamoDeafie dabbles in nylon gear, but not sure if this is in his wheelhouse.

View attachment 1441981

Be better if you could find someone local to your AO . that way you could drop the items off, for a one-off, for good fit for measurement/dimensions .
Another option.. if you wanting someone doing a pattern blind . If you take all your items, and then lay them out on a sheet of heavy paper the size/shape of the Roll you want . Then trace around all your items in the way you want them to lay . Then postal/send that off to the guy you having the sewing done .

Probably for outdoor, minimum should use is a Heavy denier weight oil or wax canvas, or Heavy denier poly or nylon.
Another outdoors waterproof choice . 'super high strength' flexible material, that also rip-stop is a ( heavy vinyl-fabric ) called .. RexTex . This product I used over several years, is about the most badass strength plus waterproof I ever seen.

Closed cell bed roll?. axe head will be left poking out, all tools separated by one layer of foam from each other. Cinch with nylon buckled straps.

View attachment 1441981

Upholstery shop, or sail maker.
👍👍

View attachment 1441981

You can get real shmancy, but there are a lot of off the shelf options available that may fit your needs.. or at least give you some ideas. This one is fairly versatile with multi compartments. Most are usually just single with an exterior wrap type securing flap for an ax. Personally... I prefer to keep it simple. A bowsaw and ax carrier and blades and related elsewhere. The main reason being that I don't always sling along an ax and bowsaw, but I do always need my blade gear. Why pack what you don't need(?)

If you're set on custom, rather than an upholstery or such shops, I would be looking more at canvas sidewall tent or farm tack shops. You might end up doing the oiling yourself, but that's hardly a complicated process. It's good to know how to do it anyway so you can properly maintain your oilskin kit.

You looking for something like this? but smaller and for blades.
View attachment 1442043I watched my Dad wax canvas. He heated kerosene and melted the paraffin (I think) in it. I don't know the proportions, brushed the mixture on and let it sun dry till the kerosene evaporated.
2:1:1 for beeswax to boiled linseed oil to turpentine. For example, if you have 1 pound (or 16 ounces) of beeswax, you will need 8 ounces each of boiled linseed oil and turpentine. You can make as much or as little as you'd like.
I add a touch of pine tar at the end— a little bit goes a long way.

2:1:1 for beeswax to boiled linseed oil to turpentine. For example, if you have 1 pound (or 16 ounces) of beeswax, you will need 8 ounces each of boiled linseed oil and turpentine. You can make as much or as little as you'd like.
I add a touch of pine tar at the end— a little bit goes a long way.
This is closer to how I do it, apologies for cluttering up the thread

You can get real shmancy, but there are a lot of off the shelf options available that may fit your needs.. or at least give you some ideas. This one is fairly versatile with multi compartments. Most are usually just single with an exterior wrap type securing flap for an ax. Personally... I prefer to keep it simple. A bowsaw and ax carrier and blades and related elsewhere. The main reason being that I don't always sling along an ax and bowsaw, but I do always need my blade gear. Why pack what you don't need(?)

I've already looked for off the shelf options. They all suck, which is why I'm looking for a custom setup.

If you're set on custom, rather than an upholstery or such shops, I would be looking more at canvas sidewall tent or farm tack shops.
Good idea.

You might end up doing the oiling yourself, but that's hardly a complicated process. It's good to know how to do it anyway so you can properly maintain your oilskin kit.
I have plenty of Filson and other waxed cotton gear. I'm not scared.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top