JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Which of these to lasers would you recommend for a P228 Ellite?

I'm more familar with the CT and know that they are adjustable, whereas the LM is not.
Is this a big problem for the LM?
How well do the CT lasers sighting adjust?

Any comments from anyone who has used one, or the other OR both?

Also the CT are a rubber grip? Seems a same to remove that nice Sig rosewood grip. Any input?

As always your info is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Frog.

I've used each.. Crimson Trace makes very good quality grips..BUT..they do add some width to the Sigs.. Not much..but enough to feel different.. I've used CT's on numerous weapons..and like 'em.. Though they can sometimes be a ***** to adjust..and will often be blocked by your trigger finger..until it's on the trigger..

The Lasermax guide rod laser is in much better alignment with your barrel..and at practical ( read up to 21' in most cases) doesn't require adjustment..

Just my own personal experience..

Thanks Doubletap,

I was not sure if the CT created any 'width' issue. That for me, and my small paws, is a problem.

I like the LaserMax idea a lot better. No bulk to add weight or holster problems. They are a bit spendy, and had been told that they don't alien well to 'line of fire', but 20 feet is reasonable.

Any problem with the LM parts replacing OEM Sig parts?

Thanks,
Frog.

I've had expirence selling both these laser and both are a good product.For the record tho I have had to send back lazermax laser's for repair, which has been a breeze and fast turn around. On the other hand,I have not had to return any Crimson Trace laser yet. My 2 cents worth hope it makes you're decision easier.

i have the ct on my 228 (my carry)
they do ad alittle to the grip from the plastic but are smaller then the wood

i was in the same boat you are
i had 2 reasons for going with the ct's over the lazermax
first was price lasermax is 150ish higher
second when i had someone show me the lasermax it took him 30-40 seconds to get it on
beating on the slide seems to be the trick LOL

Laser Max! I don't know why CT is so popular except maybe because they are west coast made. They will fail if submerged in water. This may not be a problem for you, but I need to trust my equipment. I take my handgun hiking, biking, kayaking, jetskiing, and other. I've fallen into the water while crossing with the bike, been rained on and soaked to the bone. Needless to say my gun has been underwater and wet for extended periods of time. I wanted to buy the CT because they are cheaper but couldn't because they are cheap. Granted, I don't need it to be waterproof all the way down to 66' but nobody else can even go 5'.

Laser Max! I don't know why CT is so popular except maybe because they are west coast made. They will fail if submerged in water. This may not be a problem for you, but I need to trust my equipment. I take my handgun hiking, biking, kayaking, jetskiing, and other. I've fallen into the water while crossing with the bike, been rained on and soaked to the bone. Needless to say my gun has been underwater and wet for extended periods of time. I wanted to buy the CT because they are cheaper but couldn't because they are cheap. Granted, I don't need it to be waterproof all the way down to 66' but nobody else can even go 5'.

my ammo isnt waterproof either :s0077:

If the CT lasergrips replace a non-essential part of the gun that won't interfere with normal operation. The Lasermax replaces you guide rod/ recoil rod with a non factory major part. If the CT fails, the gun will still function normally.

If and when the lasermax fails/ breaks, your SOL. In the middle of a situation, I'd rather not have to ask a bad guy to cease and desist while I repair or replace my guide rod/ recoil rod before he attempts to continue his misdeeds. Just a thought.

Had a Lasermax in a glock once... it was WAY out of alignment. 4" at 10 feet.

Crimson Trace has a LARGE portion of their equipment manufactured in the portland metro area... South of portland, north of oregon city. I would suggest buying from them!

Thanks Weeds,

Crimsom Trace used to be made right here in Beaverton up till a year or so ago. I heard they moved to Woodburn, but not positive.

While I like the LaserMax 'idea' better, I'm now starting to lean towards the CT.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Frog.

Everyone has a persoanl story, if they have had a set of Lazergrips, integral lazer, or external mounted pointing device.
Check out this note: (link) <broken link removed>

If I was wanting another lazer, I would look at what feels good, points, turns on effectively and easily for my use.
The Police and Military use CT, but I am sure they also use other brands.

Replacement of batteries, and battery availability are also important if you use the lazer alot, or store for a long time.

Most Ct's for 1911's are available in many different colors/patterns if looks are important. On my glocks, I was somewhat concerned about the exterior rear mount, but it actually help me with grip and pointing of regular sites.

there is alot to consider.. good luck

Last Edited:
I recommend the Crimson Trace lazergrips. I have the early "boot-grip" J Frame model that really performs well and never turns on inadvertantly. Nothing needs to be switched on--just grasp the gun. I find that the batteries last a LONG time, plus a spare set of commonly available batteries carried right within the grip is a comfort.

I have not used the LazerMax guide rod model, but am concerned about the effect of barrel heat only millimeters away from the batteries in the guide rod. It just seems to me that a HOT barrel could cause the batteries to bulge and weaken the rod? At the least, the heat would shorten the life of those rare, little batteries......................elsullo :s0155:

Thanks for all the info....

I've been moved to the CT over the LM lasers.

My new Sig should be here in about 2-3 weeks and the laser will be the first accessory bought for it. Then a Galco holster!

Thanks again,
Frog.

If you go to the Crimson Trace Factory in Wilsonville for your purchase, you can also get a free T-shirt...and a tour if you want it. Check pricing, many dealers have them higher than the factory price.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top