JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For SHTF purposes, you could use the LI-ion battery from the light to start a fire if needed. It wil work in any weather. Advantage: rechargable.

Either way, always carry spares.

I've used rechargeables for about 8+ years now, they don't last as long, but if you use your lights a lot, the money savings is quite a bit.

Stay away from the cheap China batteries, they don't measure up to their advertised specs, and some can have disastrous problems.

I use Surefire, KeepPower , and Eneloop...you're going to pay a bit more for them, but peace of mind is well worth it. The better batteries will hold their charge longer as well.

With fresh charged batteries, they'll last very well for a 2 day NVG class...that includes all lights, weapon, helmet, and IR/Laser.

Every time we'd go on a recon, new batteries were always handed out, and current batteries handed in...regardless of age.

Our group consisted of multi jurisdictional agencies, so unknown the age and use of each team member current batteries...so to be safe and smart, always install fresh batteries in every battery operated item before heading out...and carry plenty of spares.

The streamlight products I've been buying are dual fuel. 123As or their rechargeable double cells.

Streamlight-ProTac-90X-Right-Angle-Flashlight_5.jpg Streamlight-ProTac-90X-Right-Angle-Flashlight_3.jpg

I'm more worried about the construction/quality/durability/output/candela/lumens of the light over rechargeable/replaceable forms of energy.

Just have spares for whichever direction you go and swap them out on a regular basis which will be dictated by how often the light is used.

@Cerberus Group - what are your thoughts on rechargeables like Olight?
Am not familiar with Olight products. I've ran Surefire for well over 20 years, haven't seen a need to change.

If some of the products are what @titsonritz is describing, then that would be a hard no for me.

There has been discussions around about lights having reduced lumen/candela with rechargeable batteries. I've ran different light types (white and IR) using both Surefire and Modlite, from 0-200+ yards under both eye sight, under nvg, and through LPVO, and haven't noticed a difference enough that it reduced the ability to PID anything.

I prefer dual-fuel type lights, meaning able to use both 123 and 18650 batteries. The reasoning...more people still have 123s than 18650s, should you fail to plan ahead and your batteries run low.

The light you choose needs to be as capable as the firearm it's attached to. Meaning, for some applications, a pistol light won't do well on a rifle...especially at longer ranges. Pistol lights generally have a different beam pattern...throw and spill, than rifle lights.

Lastly, don't buy into the...the light is too bright for indoor use, or in small rooms etc it'll be too blinding...ugh. There are ways to tone down a powerful light, but you can't make a dimmer light brighter...and I've never heard anyone ever say...wow, with this level of brightness, I can see too much.

The reason to go with rechargeable lights is because it's a high use light that gets used often...so recharging the batteries...or remembering to recharge the batteries is a no brainer.

The reason to go with primary cells is for a low use light that has to work when you need it. Rechargeable batteries tend not to have a very long shelf life. Primary lithiums will stay charged for 10 years...give or take.

Also in a SHTF gun, will you have access to be able to charge it...and will the grid be up to do so?

Note that there are lights out there designed to run on both types of batteries. If you can find one that will work for your given application, it may be the way to go.

That's what I mean, rechargeables for while the grid's up or if I have solar/alternate generator and primary cells in the ready rack and the Lights Gone Out For Good deep-stack.

I actually keep a 15,000-mAh solar cell in my EDC bag as a failsafe in case the phone or tablet need an emergency charge and I can't plugin.

I've experienced many failures with rechargeables on the job, especially in cold weather. If you must use them, put spares in your parka pocket with a hand warmer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top