JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You'll shoot youre eye out. Or maybe your junk. I don't know. I carry appendix style, but I also pretend I'll end up married to Michelle Viscusi.

:rolleyes::D

54D50054-4748-4446-A1B8-61110C7B33BB.jpeg

Each manufacturer can use the title for whatever specific holster they offer that goes IWB.

Some have some specific atributes that lend toward being used at appendix, but any IWB holster generally could be positioned up front and carried appendix. T. rex arms has a appendix rig that seems to have gotten popular, but it really depends on body type for what works best.

I used to carry that way using a Glock 29 and a bladetech about 8 years ago when I was about 180 and had a six pack, I'd position it slightly to the right of my junk between my leg, then cant it a bit. Method worked very well and had many interactions with people who never had any idea, even officer friendly during a traffic stop. My ability to conceal a Glock without printing appendix has diminished as I'm now 230. Six pack is gone, and shoulders are broad enough that carrying OWB at 3:30-4 is more concealable under a T-shirt than trying to do appendix these days. Sig 938 has taken over the appendix role for me, but only when I'm trying to be very very discreet.

A good AIWB holster will usually have features that a regular IWB holster does not. These feature may include:

• An AIWB holster may have a narrower, more streamlined profile since there is a greater chance of rubbing at the appendix position. In this position, less is usually more
  • A claw. The purpose of the claw is to apply force to the belt. In this manner the force helps to rotate the holster to tuck the butt of the gun in along the body line so that the gun prints less. This may not be a big deal with a small sub compact gun that has a very short grip. But it's critical when trying to conceal a larger gun and mandatory for, say, a full size 1911 or similar. At least I think it is. YMMV
  • A wing. This could be in the form of added, protruding plastic at the bottom of the holster (where the muzzle is) or a neoprene wedge that attaches via velcro. The purpose of the wing is two-fold. First it helps push out the muzzle of the gun, thereby forcing the grip into the body so it prints less. Secondly, a sponge wedge can provide added comfort so the holster doesn't rub
  • AIWB holster will often have a single means of attachment...one clip or one soft loop...or at least the option to only use one. In the appendix position it's often better to have a little more mobility in the holster so that it can shift a bit when going from standing to seated and vice versa. But this is largely personal preference.
  • AIWB holsters are almost all universally kydex. Kydex generally lends itself better to adding things like wings and claws. This isn't to say that there aren't any leather AIWB options. There just aren't a ton. And the leather ones I've seen are almost always a lot more expensive. Regular IWB holsters run the gamut from leather to kydex to everything in between (hybrid holsters).
  • A good AIW holster will also usually offer some adjustability for ride height as this seems to matter more in the appendix position...at least it does to me
With the above said, you can certainly use a regular IWB holster in the appendix position. However, it may or may not conceal the pistol as well as an actual appendix rig might. But much can depend on the holster, the gun, and the body type of the wearer.

Similarly, one can use an appendix rig in an IWB position but you may find things like wings and claws troublesome in a traditional IWB position. Again, much can depend on the specific holster, gun and body type of the wearer.

A good AIWB holster will usually have features that a regular IWB holster does not. These feature may include:

• An AIWB holster may have a narrower, more streamlined profile since there is a greater chance of rubbing at the appendix position. In this position, less is usually more
  • A claw. The purpose of the claw is to apply force to the belt. In this manner the force helps to rotate the holster to tuck the butt of the gun in along the body line so that the gun prints less. This may not be a big deal with a small sub compact gun that has a very short grip. But it's critical when trying to conceal a larger gun and mandatory for, say, a full size 1911 or similar. At least I think it is. YMMV
  • A wing. This could be in the form of added, protruding plastic at the bottom of the holster (where the muzzle is) or a neoprene wedge that attaches via velcro. The purpose of the wing is two-fold. First it helps push out the muzzle of the gun, thereby forcing the grip into the body so it prints less. Secondly, a sponge wedge can provide added comfort so the holster doesn't rub
  • AIWB holster will often have a single means of attachment...one clip or one soft loop...or at least the option to only use one. In the appendix position it's often better to have a little more mobility in the holster so that it can shift a bit when going from standing to seated and vice versa. But this is largely personal preference.
  • AIWB holsters are almost all universally kydex. Kydex generally lends itself better to adding things like wings and claws. This isn't to say that there aren't any leather AIWB options. There just aren't a ton. And the leather ones I've seen are almost always a lot more expensive. Regular IWB holsters run the gamut from leather to kydex to everything in between (hybrid holsters).
  • A good AIW holster will also usually offer some adjustability for ride height as this seems to matter more in the appendix position...at least it does to me
With the above said, you can certainly use a regular IWB holster in the appendix position. However, it may or may not conceal the pistol as well as an actual appendix rig might. But much can depend on the holster, the gun, and the body type of the wearer.

Similarly, one can use an appendix rig in an IWB position but you may find things like wings and claws troublesome in a traditional IWB position. Again, much can depend on the specific holster, gun and body type of the wearer.
That's as good and thorough of a breakdown as I've seen. Well done.

I'll add that oftentimes an AIWB holster has the clip mounted off-slide. This slims the profile a bit... I have a few AIWB holsters that I use at 4 o'clock because I like the lack of bulk. This Eclipse from G-Code is a handy example:
20200725_133513.jpg
Also, hybrids like CrossBreed, AlienGear, and RawDog suck at appendix carry... the backer adds bulk in all directions and will painfully squish yer jimmies when seated.

I've tried AIWB and didn't care for it. It's great when standing up, fast and smooth. But I'm a trucker so I spend the majority of my time seated and it just didn't work for me although sometimes, like today, I was at Freddy's and moved my gun from side to front while I was shopping (barbecue'd chicken and corn on the cob today. I'm very excited) because my shirt wasn't concealing very well at 4 o'clock... maybe a little "form fitting(?). I can suck in my gut enough to make a gun carried at 1 o'clock disappear, nothing I can do about my waist but wear a bigger shirt.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top