JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So considering the nonsense out of Washington, I've surveyed our silencer situation, and think we have the main bases covered (.22 rimfire, centerfire pistol, 5.56㎜ rifle, etc.). However, I could see adding a couple into the supply line in the off chance there is even more brain-dead governmental action.

On that point, would are you recommendations for:

1. A "do everything" can that can handle rifle calibers of at least .30-inch. I'm heavily leaning towards the SilencerCo Hybrid 46 on this one, but am open to ideas.
  2. An ultra short, ultra light, 9㎜ for pocket pistols in .380 ACP / 9㎜ Corto and .32 ACP / 7.65㎜SR. Really not sure on this one, though I know they exist.
Thanks much. :)

The Hybrid is a good option, but mounts can get expensive. You might also look at the Liberty Mystic-X and Cosmic, though the Cosmic is somewhat limited with bigger .45 rifles.

Rumor has it Dead Air might be working on a big bore suppressor, too.

For 9mm, what you seek is the Dead Air Odessa. ;)

Hybrid is OK. It does pretty much everything up to 45 caliber, but does not do any of them as well as a "dedicated" can. The mounts to do all this get very expensive as mentioned above. If you only need up to 30 caliber rifle like you mentioned then get a good 30 caliber rifle can. A few I like and have shot and would recommend are below.

Dead Air Nomad, lightweight (comparatively) not to bulky or long, very quiet compared to other cans of the same length. The Nomad is also configurable to quick detach mounts of several companies (Q, Dead Air, SiCo) but comes as a direct thread. You can also get different front caps to fit your caliber needs.

Q Trash Panda/Thunder Chicken/Half Nelson/Full Nelson, super light, super quiet, super accurate with minimal impact shift on precision rifles.

Thunderbeast Ultra series, generally the benchmark used to judge other rifle cans. Excellent quality, lightweight, accurate, quiet, but pricey.

Sig Sauer SRD 7.62, extremely good value for the money, available in direct thread and QD configurations.

Thanks friends. Much appreciated. I'm about to put another SBR in the pipeline, but I do believe it would be a good idea to put a can or two in the queue as well.

Hybrid 46 is probably the best modular/multi-caliber can out there right now.

For a 9mm short can, the Omega 9K is extremely popular. I am pretty confident that this would be the most suggested option if you polled experienced NFA people. It will handle supersonic 300 blackout under certain conditions, which most 9mm cans won't (according to mfg specs).

I do like the Obsidian 9 because in short confirmation, it is really short enough and quiet enough for a short can. I don't personally think the Omega 9k suppresses enough for me to wait the year for one.

So considering the nonsense out of Washington, I've surveyed our silencer situation, and think we have the main bases covered (.22 rimfire, centerfire pistol, 5.56㎜ rifle, etc.). However, I could see adding a couple into the supply line in the off chance there is even more brain-dead governmental action.

1. A "do everything" can that can handle rifle calibers of at least .30-inch. I'm heavily leaning towards the SilencerCo Hybrid 46 on this one, but am open to ideas.
  2. An ultra short, ultra light, 9㎜ for pocket pistols in .380 ACP / 9㎜ Corto and .32 ACP / 7.65㎜SR. Really not sure on this one, though I know they exist.
I use SilencerCo mounts(flash hiders & brakes) as my go to so that I can move cans from one host to another. The largest I have is a SS 300 Chimera which covers all of my 7.62s but nothing past that. The Hybrid 46 will do 45-70 and 338 and more. Look at the link and scroll down to the chart at the bottom.

SilencerCo Hybrid 46 - Capitol Armory

AS far as a 9mm capable can there are plenty but look for a modular one that can be long at 6" or shorter at say 4". That will give you the best of both worlds. They will all be direct thread and handle .22 all the way to 5.7 x 28

I like the prices at Capitol Armory too.

Capitol Armory is a decent source.

I got my Obsidians through silencershop.com and it was an easy transaction.
I went the modular route with an Obsidian 9 and Obsidian 45...and hopefully they will get approved soon. I am 10 months in.

Unless you have a pressing need to suppress a rifle >30 cal don't get the Hybrid, it's a bigger Omega that's less effective. The "multi-purpose" cans like that were pre-41F bait. Rifle cans for rifles, pistol cans for pistols.

Also, add a nice rimfire can to your list. They are small, effective, and designed to be easily cleaned. 22 cans are NFA crack, they're cheap and highly effective, quickly making you want another.

Do everything. I've shot the Hybrid via others, it sounds ok on 30 cal, it really shined when I shot it on a 45/70. Dedicated 30 cals sound better on 30 cals in my opinion. From what I've shot out their so far at least.

Little bitty nine. I've only got experience with the Omega 9k and my Obsidian. My Obsidian is nice on long barrels in short mode. It sounds as good using subs in short mode as it does in long. IE that Marlin CST with subs sounds great in the short configuration over lugging the extra seven baffles around. The Omega sounded great. It's fatter, but it's not serviceable so more room inside vs my Rugged. I like being able to clean my Rugged. That and I can put more baffles on it. Look into Dead Air. They have a two length Wolf and a screw on to desired length Odessa. That telescoping one by Odessa looks like a decent fit, though it's just an Instagram whore when using it with only one or two baffles screwed on I think. I'm guessing you won't get too good of results with only a handful of baffles screwed on vs it in longer configurations.

I'm a little late in following up on this, but have a few more things to add on the Dead Air suppressors.

The Odessa seems to have three sweet spots; 4 baffles, 7 baffles, and 11 baffles. Reno is right, anything less than 4 baffles is pretty much just for looks.

The Wolf has been replaced with the Wolfman, which is now capable of handling up to .35 caliber rifle cartridges like the new .350 Legend, and both subs and supers for 300 Blackout. It's a much more robust version of the original Wolf.

Another interesting teaser was a prototype of the Nomax, which is basically a Nomad L, and it put out sime impressive numbers in recent testing. If you don't mind a little extra length and weight, it might be a good one to keep an eye on.

i cant tell ANY difference between my hybrid and a couple of my friends 30 cal cans when shooting 308

....except i can use it on pistols and bigger rounds than .308:)

heres my hybrid on a 308 and 300blk both shooting subsonic handloads

300blk
lol yeah i missed the last shot

it is a bit big for handguns but i dont care. i like it. i'll take some 30 cal and 6.5cal supersonic videos soon

I'm looking at buying a G19, gen 5 MOS with a threaded barrel for my when I get the NFA paperwork done and the tax stamp in so I can mount a can.

All of that said, I was told each suppressor has to be dedicated to one gun.

Apparently that's not correct...or is it?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

I'm looking at buying a G19, gen 5 MOS with a threaded barrel for my when I get the NFA paperwork done and the tax stamp in so I can mount a can.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
A suppressor can go on any gun you choose. does not have to be dedicated to one gun

I just got my SRD45 released and still waiting on the Hybrid and SRD22X. You could also do a form 1 and save a bunch of wait time. I bought a 45 kit from quietbore and while it's not made of titanium like the SRD, I don't think it will matter much. I'm planning on putting the paperwork in this week for it. Turn around times are running about a month for a trust with e-file. Better than the 18 months and counting for my 22X....

Anyone know?

Thanks!

I will explain: one of the reasons why you have been told to have a dedicated suppressor for each gun is that you can experience a point of impact shift when mounting a suppressor. So after you zero it, if you remove it and put it on another gun, your original gun's POI will have shifted and it will no longer be zeroed. If you are like me, you probably want your guns to be sighted in and ready to go if you find you need it.

Another reason people will tell you to buy dedicated suppressors, is that a suppressor that is meant to take supersonic larger caliber rifle rounds will be too bulky to be practical on a pistol, and pistol caliber cans can blow up if used on a powerful rifle. Pistol cans are often user-serviceable, meaning that the owner can disassemble and clean them, whereas rifle cans are usually welded shut.

Another variation is that semiautomatic pistols tend to need a nielson device, which is a spring activated isolation device which prevents a barrel mounted in a moving slide from damaging a suppressor, while a rifle can will need to be direct threaded or have the spring from the nielson device removed and replaced with a sleeve.

So, people will often get a pistol can to run on 9mm pistols and maybe a 45ACP can, and then will get a rifle caliber can. If you get a 7.62 can you can typically run it on either 5.56, 7.62 and 300 blackout.

Hopefully that helps.

For you 32acp/9mm can i have been real happy with my Dead Air Wolf. It can be screwed into one long one or use just a very short one. I use the short on my MP5 clone. Certainly not as quiet as when it is long, but not bad.

Short cans mean fatter cans usually. 32acp have real short height sites and are usually mounted in such a way that you will not be able to get a tall enough site. You will have to look through the suppressor, certainly be a two eyes open shooter.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top