JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hmmm. Seems that John Rigby has joined in the popular stalking rifle production crowd with their latest rifle, made, they say, specifically for the hill. Starting at just under $8000, it's a real beauty -

The Highland Stalker - John Rigby & Co.

Add some decent glass from Schmidt u. Bender or Hensoldt, Swarovski, IOR or Zeiss to bring it up to around the 10K mark, and you are ready to go!!!

I bet it wouldn't fall to pieces too quickly, even in the USA.

Makes my 1912 7x57 Mauser look like a goodwill store hand-in. Mind you, my old rifle had a hard and useful life in Africa for over 75 years before I got it.

tac

Shirt - that strike-through again.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Anybody know how to get rid of that?

tac

tac, you should be able to remove that by opening the edit function for your post, highlight the text you want to remove the strike-through on, then click the + symbol in the post toolbar - you'll see the strikethrough option listed - click on it and it should go away.

5BA476FD-44F8-4E39-9161-90F2176FEE46.jpeg
Hmmm. Seems that John Rigby has joined in the popular stalking rifle production crowd with their latest rifle, made, they say, specifically for the hill. Starting at just under $8000, it's a real beauty -

Add some decent glass from Schmidt u. Bender or Hensoldt, Swarovski, IOR or Zeiss to bring it up to around the 10K mark, and you are ready to go!!!

Makes my 1912 7x57 Mauser look like a goodwill store hand-in. Mind you, my old rifle had a hard and useful life in Africa for over 75 years before I got it.

tac
I am sure that is a nice rifle buts looks pretty boring for 10K. I will have about that in a rifle similar to this. I generally find British guns overpriced. You must have lived in a British area in Africa, the German colonies have Suhl built guns.

Here, I'd guess that about 25% of the 450-or-so members of my gun club are also game shooters of larger animals - deer of all kinds, and maybe 50% regularly shoot vermin or birds

Pardon the tangent, but how common is varmint hunting over yonder? What species? For that matter, how about in continental Europe? As you undoubtedly know, it is a very common practice here in Oregon, for a variety of reasons.

Parenthetically, I've been working on a built for a coyote rifle for about a year now. It is all done except for one last piece: that component being a .223 / 5.56mm silencer. It is bought and paid for and the paperwork submitted. Alas, as of this writing, it is still held up awaiting approval from the ATF. It is close to the ten month market now. Gah!

In Germany, we would commonly shoot foxes but the most prized varmits were feral cats. They made the German hunters crazy mad. They are considered the largest poachers on the revier costing the owner thousands of euros a year. I have seen good hunting dogs put down that encountered one and didn't kill it.

View attachment 396778

I am sure that is a nice rifle buts looks pretty boring for 10K. I will have about that in a rifle similar to this. I generally find British guns overpriced. You must have lived in a British area in Africa, the German colonies have Suhl built guns.

There was only one German colony, and they lost that back in WW1, and that is why most people in Africa speak English, not German.

As for guns, you get what you pay for. I live in England and regularly shoot English-made guns that were made in the 1800s that look just like new. Many have had literally millions of shots down them, like the Powell and the Evans guns I shoot with great lack of success at various venues in the county. I expect that Germans shoot German-made guns that have the same kind of history, but one never hears about them. In the world of shooting, whenever anybody discusses double rifles, they usually mean an English-built double rifle.

Apologies for thread drift, and now back to suppressors and who can have them, and who can't.

tac

Last Edited:
Pardon the tangent, but how common is varmint hunting over yonder? What species? For that matter, how about in continental Europe? As you undoubtedly know, it is a very common practice here in Oregon, for a variety of reasons.

Parenthetically, I've been working on a built for a coyote rifle for about a year now. It is all done except for one last piece: that component being a .223 / 5.56mm silencer. It is bought and paid for and the paperwork submitted. Alas, as of this writing, it is still held up awaiting approval from the ATF. It is close to the ten month market now. Gah!

Here in UK, an island, just as a reminder, there are NO predatory 'varmints' apart from the fox. They cause immense amount of damage to sheep in lambing time, to game bird stocks as well as poultry stocks, so they are the numero uno target of game wardens, keepers and leisure shooters alike. There were a few mink, 'set free' by a bunch of tree-huggers a while back, but most of them seem to have been eradicated.

Recently re-introduced feral hogs are no danger to livestock, so they are hunted as a matter of sport, not because of their predatory lifestyle. The Romans killed all the bears about 2000 years ago and most of the wolves, too.

Rabbits are real pests and can be shot all year round, but deer have seasons, just like you do over there, as do game birds.

tac

Here in UK, an island, just as a reminder, there are NO predatory 'varmints' apart from the fox. They cause immense amount of damage to sheep in lambing time, to game bird stocks as well as poultry stocks, so they are the numero uno target of game wardens, keepers and leisure shooters alike. There were a few mink, 'set free' by a bunch of tree-huggers a while back, but most of them seem to have been eradicated.

Recently re-introduced feral hogs are no danger to livestock, so they are hunted as a matter of sport, not because of their predatory lifestyle. The Romans killed all the bears about 2000 years ago and most of the wolves, too.

Rabbits are real pests and can be shot all year round, but deer have seasons, just like you do over there, as do game birds.

tac
So, do you keep the meat or sell it in the market?

tac
That sir, is a beautiful rifle.

So, do you keep the meat or sell it in the market?

I eat it, but then I rarely get anything more than about 80 - 90 pounds undressed weight. What I don't eat I share with friends. Most serious shooters sell to the local butchery who sells game - we live out in the rurals as you may have guessed. What folks who live in the cities do is go to the supermarket, and pay about ten times what we do for the same thing.

tac

Last Edited:
I eat it, but then I rarely get anything more than about 80 - 90 pounds undressed weight. What I don't eat I share with friends. Most serious shooters sell to the local butchery who sells game - we live out in the rurals as you may have guessed. What folks who love in the cities do is go to the supermarket, and pay about ten times what we do for the same thing.

tac
In Germany, the meat is all sold to the butcher. Game meat is by far the most expensive meat in the country. The hunter keeps the "trophy" usually consisting of the head/horns fur or feathers. Off course.....in the US there is no commercial meat hunting so any game bought or served in a restaurant has to be farm raised. Fish and game is serious about it too.....I have seen people sent to prison for long stretches for it. Even fish caught without a Commercial licence is strictly controlled.

Everybody here who shoots game is qualified under the British Deer Society Scheme, that all those who undertake deer stalking here in UK are required to undertake. Take a look at the BDS website and you'll see what I mean. Stage 1 covers the basic shooting skills required of a humane deer stalker, the complexities of the laws of conservation and how to prepare the animal you have just shot for transportation. The next two stages go on from there. The BASC, British Association for Shooting and Conservation is also a must membership for field shooters of any kind, rifle or shotgun. They have special rate insurances for members, and lots of stuff on the sidelines, like better prices for X-country vehicles, as well as running game fairs and young shooter tutorials. Membership of this particular organisation also provides legal advice with regard to shooting matters, and many shooters have retained their guns as a result of their intercession in a court case that would otherwise have cost them their shotgun or firearms certificate from the heavy-handed police authority.

tac

tac

Thanks for the details. Much appreciated.

Foxes are a problem here as well. There is a small scale poultry farm that is next to our acreage and I see them down in that general area and am pretty sure I know what they are up to. I haven't hunted them, but I have coyotes many times. Some counties, including the one I reside in, have put bounties on the 'yotes at various times.

There are now wolves in Oregon, but they are a protected species, so dispatching them is very illegal in most, though not all, cases.

Some years back I had a business contact in the United Kingdom that mentioned he hunted rabbits. I think he said with some kind of .22LR, but I forget the model. In the Beaver state, at least three species of rabbit can be hunted year round, provided one has a valid hunting license. I don't have the time to hunt them now, but I did in years past.

Anyway, thanks again, @tac. :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews