JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No further explanation required

image.jpeg

That is curious, isn't it?

But my first question is, what what do the creators of this graph consider to be a 'school shooting'? We've already seen that they are lumping in shootings near schools as well as shootings that are off hours, such as a drug deal gone bad in a parking lot at midnight. Hardly qualifies as a school shooting.

However your question does make a good point, and should be addressed. Why haven't hope and changed lead to happiness and joy??

That is curious, isn't it?

But my first question is, what what do the creators of this graph consider to be a 'school shooting'? We've already seen that they are lumping in shootings near schools as well as shootings that are off hours, such as a drug deal gone bad in a parking lot at midnight. Hardly qualifies as a school shooting.
Because the media and the people that count such things were given their marching orders when obama/holder/emanuel took the White House.

Help us make the case for gun control!

And no, that's NOT a joke.

Because the media and the people that count such things were given their marching orders when obama/holder/emanuel took the White House.

I figured that much, I just don't know the source of this chart, so I'm curious whose bias is behind it. Was it put out by a pro-gun group? If so, did they use the same distorted numbers that Obama and his cronies do, to try and make their point?

I figured that much, I just don't know the source of this chart, so I'm curious whose bias is behind it. Was it put out by a pro-gun group? If so, did they use the same distorted numbers that Obama and his cronies do, to try and make their point?
I'm rather curious about the source of the chart, and the data used to create it also.

Seeing as the chart seems to show a strong relationship between school shootings and the "Obama gun sales spike".... It would appear that this chart is put out by an anti-gun organization. Really ?? 39 school shootings last year?? 2015 isn't over yet (2.5 months to go) so is that figure a guess-timate, or an actual count with foreknowledge that there will be no more shootings this year??

There is no attribution, no definition of what a "school shooting" is, or even a clear statement of it's being published or reviewed...
...and exactly who is the "MY" in "My Life"?

It was cobbled together to appeal to the "redneck, uneducated, racist, bible clutching " stereotype, that the rabid anti-gun lemming has of gun owners.
The assumption being that we will use it to crow about how Obama caused school shootings, because we're too stupid to figure out what it's real purpose was.

As eTrain pointed out, any shooting that happens within a block or so of a school gets logged as a "school shooting" now, so it's imperative that we see the actual incidence data before anyone draws any conclusions.

When rival gangs go at it at 2:00AM over a drug deal gone bad within shouting distance of a culinary academy, it's important that it not get logged as a "school shooting."
But y'all know how those antis are.

Seeing as the chart seems to show a strong relationship between school shootings and the "Obama gun sales spike".... It would appear that this chart is put out by an anti-gun organization. Really ?? 39 school shootings last year?? 2015 isn't over yet (2.5 months to go) so is that figure a guess-timate, or an actual count with foreknowledge that there will be no more shootings this year??

There is no attribution, no definition of what a "school shooting" is, or even a clear statement of it's being published or reviewed...
...and exactly who is the "MY" in "My Life"?

It was cobbled together to appeal to the "redneck, uneducated, racist, bible clutching " stereotype, that the rabid anti-gun lemming has of gun owners.
The assumption being that we will use it to crow about how Obama caused school shootings, because we're too stupid to figure out what it's real purpose was.

Exactly. And that's why it's important to know the source of the numbers before we try to draw a conclusion. As much as I would LOVE to have those numbers reflect our current president's reign, I think it's even more important that we use accurate numbers and facts. And then, remind people how the current administration distorts the idea of "school shooting" to include events that really aren't.

For example, the "shooting" down in Bend this week - where the 3 nutbags shot at a school building after hours. I would expect the anti-gun crowd will include that in the "school shootings" list for 2015.

In reality, let's consider this. Let's say that, given actual facts, we find that real "school shootings" really are about the same as they have been for the last few decades. Maybe not as impressive, but perhaps more accurate. AND, it's something we CAN use against them. So what is that?

If the graph actually remains largely unchanged, it say that we DO NOT have an 'epidemic' of school shootings - which is their lynch pin argument for more gun control. We can show that the number of shootings have remained relatively stable, in direct contrast with what they keep telling us. Therefore, no school shooting crisis, no need for immediate and severe gun control measures.

Fight them with the facts, not hyperbole. Let them use those tactics, and call them on it at every single opportunity.

Yeah, but that was probably one of them fancy high-capacity fully auto pellet guns. And really, who needs that kind of military firepower :rolleyes:

If you look at the chart on the bottom (school attacks, not school shootings) there is no trend upward.

we should be referring to school attacks different than a shooting that occurred on school grounds.

If you look at the chart on the bottom (school attacks, not school shootings) there is no trend upward.

we should be referring to school attacks different than a shooting that occurred on school grounds.

100% agree. The terminology is critical here too. Good point.

This list seems to be a good source on what is being counted
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

You can see the most recent one counted was a pellet gun shooting. And many of them are counted because they were in the parking lot after hours.

They're also counting shootings in the school zones....
Widipedia said:
A police officer was shot outside a school in a school zone while he was directing school buses into J.B. Martin Middle School

and when LEO do the shooting
Widipedia said:
A 17-year-old boy was shot in the wrist after attacking police officers with a kitchen knife at President Theodore Roosevelt High School.

Pathetic.

Ray

Another issue on these types of reports, of which I expect to see more during the election cycle, is that the reporting agencies, the FBI - BAFTE - Scotland Yard - Interpol, have changed how they count over the years.

What counted as a child involved shooting in the 60's / 70's is expanded now.

Caution urged.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads