JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know the other thread was shut down.
But had some info for newer hunters.

Where I put in tags for, I don't have the confidence to use a regular old scope and gun outfit.
If I draw the tags I want, I need a good setup, or it's a wasted tag. A very expensive tag in my book.

40mm vs 50mm isn't a big deal. The tube size is more important. I'm tired tonight, but I believe the 30mm tube is bigger than 1 inch. Get the 30mm tube.
Brings much more light in.
I'm a die hard Leupold fan!

Also. Buy VERY GOOD rings. Strong ones. Leupold make nice rings. So does Warne. Cheap rings and bases are common mistakes.

Don't let just anyone bore sight and set the scope. Just anyone at cabelas won't do.

Get some decent covers. Flip up ones are best. Keep the scope covered always.

Usually big animals get shot early or late in the day. Especially big bucks.

I'm a great shot with open sights. One day I will shoot a big animal with one. I like the Browning BLR .348

Tube diameter doesn't dictate light intake.
I guess your right. Somewhat. There are some light advaywith 30mm. I forgot to mention, cause I'm sick I think, that the 30mm has more internal magnification options or power. 30mm is better for longer range shots. My VX-6 seems to be much better than my other VX-3 scopes.

I guess your right. Somewhat. There are some light advaywith 30mm. I forgot to mention, cause I'm sick I think, that the 30mm has more internal magnification options or power. 30mm is better for longer range shots. My VX-6 seems to be much better than my other VX-3 scopes.

The larger the objective diameter, the more light gathering capabilities. The larger the scope tube-body diameter, the broader the holdover and windage adjustment range.

Yes, 30mm is larger than 1".... and there's also 34mm diameter tube-body rifle scopes as well, but the ranges that's designed for... just how far away is one willing to competently and ethically shoot a game animal from, let alone spend that kind of money on a scope for those purposes?

The larger the objective diameter, the more light gathering capabilities. The larger the scope tube-body diameter, the broader the holdover and windage adjustment range.

Yes, 30mm is larger than 1".... and there's also 34mm diameter tube-body rifle scopes as well, but the ranges that's designed for... just how far away is one willing to competently and ethically shoot a game animal from, let alone spend that kind of money on a scope for those purposes?

Great questions... A guy definitely needs to know his limitations....

I think that many hunters these days are over-scoping their rifles. It makes little sense to me for someone to buy something like a Kimber Montana or Barrett Fieldcraft and then put some telescope on it that weighs 3 pounds.

The OP is right about rings and mounting systems needing to be adequately strong and well mounted. Many a time I've been to the range and seen some goatphuq'd scope mounting efforts.

Its also amazing the physicial discomfort people will go through before they'll grab a torx wrench and move the scope.

My head is all dizzy with sickness.
I think my vx has a 34 tube.
Whatever it is, it's fun to use

I believe the vx6 has a 34mm tube. My boss bought one recently and its a great scope for clarity of glass. However, it doesn't track any better than my $300.00 SWFA SS 16X.....IF you are going to get a good scope for that kind of money, i'd invest in a Nightforce IMHO...

I believe the vx6 has a 34mm tube. My boss bought one recently and its a great scope for clarity of glass. However, it doesn't track any better than my $300.00 SWFA SS 16X.....IF you are going to get a good scope for that kind of money, i'd invest in a Nightforce IMHO...
Give me an idea of what you mean by track?

Leupold scopes track like lame dogs. Do an internet search... A cheap SWFA WILL walk all over it...

Here's a good thread and these guys actually do a lot of shooting:

Has Leupold fixed tracking & zero retention?

The OP to that thread (Jason), used to frequent this forum and lives here locally. However, I haven't seen him post here in quite some time...

Last Edited:
Leupold scopes track like lame dogs. Do an internet search... A cheap SWFA WILL walk all over it...
Ok.
Does swfa make a $1,500 scope? I'm guessing it would walk all over a night force then?
I've never seen night force as awesome. Cause I can't get pasted the size. The clarity on my VX and light is very good.

He's referring to the scope adjustments actually adjusting as they should. If you do a box test on a scope that has 1/4 MOA clicks, moving your point of impact 4 inches at 100 yards should be 16 clicks. My experience with Leupold has been that its not always the case. They hold zero great, but their adjustments are not always consistent. The SWFA scopes are known to be consistent. If you set and forget, not a big deal. If you use your turrets to adjust for range, its a very big deal.

He's referring to the scope adjustments actually adjusting as they should. If you do a box test on a scope that has 1/4 MOA clicks, moving your point of impact 4 inches at 100 yards should be 16 clicks. My experience with Leupold has been that its not always the case. They hold zero great, but their adjustments are not always consistent. The SWFA scopes are known to be consistent. If you set and forget, not a big deal. If you use your turrets to adjust for range, its a very big deal.
My turrets are custom. And I've been spot on. But I will keep an eye on it.
I like Leupold for there rugginess also. I've experienced scopes that get bumped with not much force and it's out of zero.

My turrets are custom. And I've been spot on. But I will keep an eye on it.
I like Leupold for there rugginess also. I've experienced scopes that get bumped with not much force and it's out of zero.

It might be that more attention goes into their custom turrets, I don't know. Oddly enough, I have a Mark AR Mod 1 that tracks perfectly. I also have a VX3 that seems like its more like 1/3 MOA clicks on elevation and 1/6 on windage. But, once I get it where I want to be, it stays.

Horus reticulus, man! ;):D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top