JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Essentially, the trap is gun free zones such as schools (must be outside 1,000 feet to be legal unless have permit/license) Previously, these laws would have exceptions for carry licensees/permit carriers.. but with Constitutional Carry/permit less carry, there may not be such exceptions and now one has to consider all the "gun free zones" and their restrictions in the 26 States that have Constitutional/Permit-less carry laws..

"Trap" implies intent on the part of someone to put another in a negative position. I think it's more like an unintended consequence at the state level of having a constitutional carry system where federal law doesn't take that into account. This and reciprocity are two big reasons why many states with constitutional carry still offer and maintain a concealed carry permit system.

If logically, the SCOTUS takes the Bruen decision to the maximum end, and Congress manages to somehow agree with 50-State Constitutional Carry; there is a great chance that Oregon, Washington, other anti2A State governments will try to pull what California, NY, NJ are trying to pull by removing State preemption, and allowing localities to impose extreme prohibitions as well as expanding "gun free zones" :rolleyes: this is the real danger; even if a State passes Constitutional Carry, there isn't an exemption written in those gun free laws that allows for permitless carry citizens to legally exercise their 2A rights. That is likely where the big local fights will be playing out barring any more State/Fed court lawsuits relating to Bruen.

Civil rights protected at the Federal level apply to all levels of government. That was settled a long time ago. "under color of law" is specifically mentioned.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/242
Thar hasn't stopped States and local govts from infringing on any rights :rolleyes: Sec 241 also applies (conspiracy to violate civil rights).. have the DOJ ever prosecuted any State or local govt officials for violating Secs 241 and 242 since the 1960s? :rolleyes:

This isn't new. I learned this years ago when I started traveling out of state every summer to a state that honored my states permit... except I didn't have that states permit. So if you get pulled over inside a school zone, your committing a felony.
If you think its no big deal dont speed yada yada you probably arent aware of just how many school zones there are. Note: Some states require you to inform the officer your carrying.

It's not a trap. You need to be aware of the laws that govern your activities.
I agree this is a good way to look at this. I've brought this up before. Some reps from Utah tried to fix this a few years back but it appeared to die. Depending on how one interprets gun free zones act(s), reciprocity is actually useless; as I understand it your permit has to be from that state. Currently, it seems to be a non issue for the most part. For how long remains to be seen.

To @Koda 's point, I have heard you literally cannot traverse San Francisco lawfully with being in a GFSZ.

as I understand it your permit has to be from that state. Currently, it seems to be a non issue for the most part. For how long remains to be seen.
that is correct on the state issued permit. Even in states that honor your states permit. The only place your permit excepts you from school zones is the state you got the permit from.

the only reason it "feels" like its a non issue is because the majority of patrol officers dont know this law. You show them your CHL and they are are cool cause they just dont know about the school zone exception.

Its virtually impossible to drive across most cities without crossing a school zone.

A lot of "Watch our channel and click on the button to win a prize." and "check my website". Think that video might only be 45 seconds long w/out that sell.

I've had a CHL for a long time. Constitutional Carry (CC) is fine for those who do not travel out of state. But people think if my state has it its OK if I cross a state line. Not true, even if the neighboring state has authorized CC. You are not a resident of that 2nd state. If you have a CHL and both states have reciprocity you can carry in that state if you follow their rules of carrying. Getting your CHL is not a difficult procedure.

Big news from this movie......Don't speed thru school zones.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top