JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi troops

With the scorching weather here for the summer, the art of carrying concealed gets tough, especially if you carry in an OWB holster.

In the winter I have always carried a medium sized Glock in a serpa holster on my strong side.

With the hot weather I have been carrying a 380 auto in a bulldog pouch on my belt, but with more and more BS going on I'm going to carry my Five seven

Now comes the toughy, trying to hide a full sized blaster in an OWB HOLSTER

My current thoughts are a light weight CCW vest that will hide it well.

Concealed carry clothiers makes a vest called the tropic concealment vest

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...zL_QAw&usg=AFQjCNHNXF4wFNaBEw3ngg4KiA2UEFjGSA

Still sorting this out.

Any ideas or input

Try an good IWB holster. They're easily accessible, don't slow the draw much, if at all. I can easily carry my Glock 23. I have one that works with my 17 almost as well.

Lol if you wear one of those carry vests you might as well OC. Everyone knows what's up when you see a guy wearing them but I suppose the masses or the bad guys dont.

To me, those things just look like gunny sacks. I'd go down to like REI, see something hip and cool and drop the coin. Whatever you get has gotta be less money than those, probably much more useful too.. and you'll like it.

I always wore carhart vests, carrying or not... but nowadays, whenever I see a vest, I pretty much automatically assume CCW. I don't ever carry anymore (life circumstances are a little different these days), but if I did, I'd go tuckable IWB in non-jacket weather. In fact, I'd probably go mouse gun... I know, I know - nothing less than "full size." But screw all that hassle anymore.

Great comments guys

Sadly an IWB is not in the cards for this old beotch.

Wide butt and the way girl jeans fit the IWB just does not work COMFORTABLY
I am still looking.

Been training folks in CCW for years, but all my own good advice starts with easy access and comfort.

If it's not comfy, it will soon be laying home on the shelf.

Still looking.

Gotta be comfy in hot weather.

As long as the gun does not show, I'm good.
I see the fanny packs all the time, yup its got iron in it most likely.

Keep the thoughts coming.

:):):D:):)

Since IWB is not an option for you...you still have a few choices but you're better off with a more compact gun:
1) concealed carry specific purse
2) ankle holster
3) shoulder holster designed to be worn under clothing
4) underwrap
5) holster shirt

Well now.

Comfort has many meanings. If the blaster is chewing a groove in my side, that's not gonna cut it.

My carry is always comfortable enough that I don't really know it's there, other than it's there when I want it.

It's like shoulder rigs, if they don't fit, then the are just miserable.

Poorly fitting pair of boots is another example of things that need to be right or your gonna be very unhappy.

Another biggy is the fact that guys can dress with far more variables and make stuff work.
Us gals have things that just don't work for us when it comes to carrying guns.

And no, I ain't interested in a bra carry :eek: :D

I'm near 6 foot tall and a bit pudgy in my old age.

Not a real pretty picture if I do say so myself :eek:

Ease of access and comfortable enough that it can ride all day and not cause me issues.

My Glock 32 in a serpa paddle is a sweetheart and hides nice under my jacket. The Summer cover is the issue.

I grew up when shirts were tucked in and ladies wore skirts.

A T shirt left hanging loose is just sloppy looking, and unless a gal wants to look like trash from the other side of the tracks it's in poor taste me thinks.

I have seen several of the nice safari vests and other tactical gear that look nice, but are just toooooo hot this time of year.

The tactical gear also looks to cop like, and is definately a give away IMHO

Still thinking.

I was a trucker for 20 plus years and daddy taught this girl to carry a wallet in my jeans back pocket.

Me and purses are like oil and water. :rolleyes:

I own one nice one for use when I gotta gussy up, and it's a gun purse, but I hate purses.
I want my blaster on me.

I knew a cop that used to wear those vests in the 80's. He stopped after a guy he arrested let him know everybody knows what those vests are for. Cops and people carrying.
And trust me, everybody knows what those vests are for. Lol.
I routinely CC a p226 combat iwb.
For owb consider something in kydex with a low ride option. The low ride is helpful for pudgy folks as it helps seat the gun just below the excess body tissue.
I've been looking at raven and this guy:
http://www.jmcustomkydex.com

I always wore carhart vests, carrying or not... but nowadays, whenever I see a vest, I pretty much automatically assume CCW. I don't ever carry anymore (life circumstances are a little different these days), but if I did, I'd go tuckable IWB in non-jacket weather. In fact, I'd probably go mouse gun... I know, I know - nothing less than "full size." But screw all that hassle anymore.
+1 for a carhart vest.
Way more durable and more functional.

To the OP:
Summer is nearly over. What, 2 months?
Id get a winter vest instead.
You could try a 5.11 concealment shirt.

my thought process has always been this. If you're too big to conceal carry IWB you have a better chance of dying of heart disease than being killed by bullets. Sometimes the biggest threat to your life is yourself.

DO SOME PT

Ignore him.

In the fall and winter I do wear something similar to the carhart vest. It's an arbor wear vest lined with fleece.
I've got my eye on a carhart though. I noticed they have a longer cut in the back. That could aid in concealment potentially.
That style of vest is durable and comfortable.

Maybe we should be asking our wives this question. They're going to have better insight into what a female would like to wear.
What kind of style are you looking for? Is there a specific material?

My wife never could conceal on her body. Too petite, too curvy. IWB cut into her side and was impossible to draw, plus she wears her pants too tight. AIWB kind of worked, from a concealment standpoint, but she couldn't bend over, and draw still wasn't clean. OWB was completely out of the question with her womanly figure - better luck concealing a rifle.

Some chicks just can't do it. Small, booty-having chicks especially.

So she went Maxpedition. Sub-optimal from a tactical readiness standpoint, but better than carrying nothing. Sometimes "better than nothing" is truly better than nothing.

Maybe check out some Secret Service women. I think they come in all sizes but rest assured, they's packing some serious iron under that whatever.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top