JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My front door opens to my stair case, which leads up only 12 stairs directly to my bedroom door. So it's a straight line from door to bedroom, leaving just moments to ready my firearm once the door's been breached.

What I need is a safe I can conceal under my bed, only needs room for 1 or 2 pistols but I need it close bc I need to have access to it in a moments notice including ability to enter it. Can I get some recommendations on a small safe that has quick entry? I'm new to the world of safes and am overwhelmed by the offerings! Thanks for any advice!

Last Edited:
I've had a pistol safe from SentrySafe for at least five years. It fits in my nightstand drawer and provides very safe but readily accessed storage and security for my home defense pistol.

Unlike some other bedside safes that are just a thin metal box with cheap locks, the two SentrySafe pistol safe models are real safes made out of substantial heavy metal that also have a safe and reliable lock mechanism. Both have digital locks. One has a four button configuration that allows you to set your own push button combination. That's the one I have and it works amazingly quickly and well, allowing access in just a few seconds. The newer model has a biometric device that reads your fingerprint and opens. It has the same very secure locking mechanism as the older push button digital model.

One nice feature is that the lid is spring loaded and pops fully open when you unlock it, giving you ready access to the gun. But the lid also has a pneumatic damper on it that lets the lid open smoothly and quietly instead of springing open with a clunk or bang like many pistol safes do. That means you can open it and access your handgun without tipping an intruder off that you're arming yourself or letting him know what room you're in. Both of the models also have a conventional key slot that lets you use a key should the lock fail for some reason. They won't, though, if my experience is any indication.

It only holds one pistol (the newer model advertises two, but I think that's probably for very small pistols), but is large enough to accommodate any gun I know of. My current home defense pistol I store in it is an S&W M&P 2.0 9mm Compact with an attached TLR-4 laser/light combination. Even with the light/laser, it easily fits in the safe with room to spare. I've kept everything from a full-sized 5" 1911 to a bulky Glock 20 10mm in it with no problems storing it or extracting it.

It uses very cheap conventional alkaline batteries, not the expensive flat ones, but there are no problems with battery life. I just set a prompt on my phone to change my batteries every six months. But I have had mine in my nightstand drawer before for almost a year, opening it nightly or even twice a day, without ever having the batteries show any signs of running out.

We have a nine year old granddaughter who stays with us every weekend. I feel completely comfortable with the gun in my nightstand knowing there is no way she could accidentally access it. Thanks for being concerned enough to go that extra mile for your kids.

They aren't the cheapest or the most expensive safes, but they consistently make the top five lists of reviewers' choices in the category. The older push button model is available on Amazon for $114.00. The newer version with the biometric lock is running $140. My own preference is for the push button model. Biometric technology is neat, but something as simple as oily smears on the fingerprint reader or lotion on your hands can cause it to fail to open. No review that I've ever read of a biometric reader has been problem free. It's your choice, of course.

The push button model is the SentrySafe QAP1BE. The digital version is the SenteySafe QAP2E. Both are available on Amazon as I said before.

Sorry nobody else has chimed in here. Good luck with your search and I hope this helped. Here's a link to the SentrySafe website for the models I talked about. BTW, I noticed there are now three models, but one is just the biometric lock model with a light to help you see your gun when it opens. I personally think that might be enough light to tip someone off when you open it, but it may be a feature you'd actually want. Gun & Pistol Safes | SentrySafe

Last Edited:
I'd cut a 2 x 4 to lay on the floor between your closed entry door and the wall so the door can't be opened quickly or quietly even with a key. However, if there are other occupants in the house, they must be able to remove it so they can get OUT if they need to in a fire, etc. Put the end by the wall against a stud, or something solid. Also, you can replace the short screws in the door jamb strike plate with longer screws - maybe 3 or 4" long; ditto one screw in each door hinge where it's attached to the door jamb.

If there are no kids in the house, you could open your safe when you get home, and leave it open until you are ready to leave the house the next morning; then lock it. I'd put a note on the inside of the front door to remind me to lock it up or else I'd remember that I didn't do it 1/2 way to work. ;) If you have kids in the house, this may not be a good idea.

I have no experience with quick-opening safes and would not want to depend on it working quickly in the middle of the night when I'm 1/2 asleep. Basic Gun Vault brand pistol safes can be opened with a round key similar to this:
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1rVix...Switch-lock-Round-key-Electronic-Lock-Key.jpg

They also have a push button system that, I think requires batteries. I prefer just using the key.

One-gun vault:
MiniVault Standard - GunVault

This one looks large enough for at least 2 guns:
MultiVault Standard - GunVault

More:
Firearm & Weapon Safes | GunVault - A Safer Way of Living

Good luck.

EDIT: Another option posted by @ATCclears in another thread - it gets good reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...tg-20&linkId=5093e1f529e29d302eb5b4f91e73af15

Last Edited:
My front door opens to my stair case, which leads up only 12 stairs directly to my bedroom door. So it's a straight line from door to bedroom, leaving just moments to ready my firearm once the door's been breached.

What I need is a safe I can conceal under my bed, only needs room for 1 or 2 pistols but I need it close bc I need to have access to it in a moments notice including ability to enter it. Can I get some recommendations on a small safe that has quick entry? I'm new to the world of safes and am overwhelmed by the offerings! Thanks for any advice!

Pistol safe is one option. The other option you don't speak about is defending the door or slowing down entry. Don't know the type of door but something like the following product can stop or slow down entry and cause a lot of noise if someone is trying to breach it:

https://www.amazon.com/Nightlock-Re...ocphy=9031984&hvtargid=pla-569452618259&psc=1

I forgot to mention something about the SentrySafe I have. When my granddaughter isn't here, I can close my nightstand drawer with the safe lid slightly ajar. That way when I pull the drawer open, the safe lid pops up and the pistol is instantly accessible. I keep my hearing aids in the safe at night, so I always have to check it and close it in the morning. Yes, I'm old and somewhat deaf. :) Alternatively, I can leave the nightstand drawer open with the safe closed at night so I can access it more quickly. If you have kids there constantly, though, I'd always have the sale lid down and locked. Better safe than sorry.

I second the Nightlock. I haven't bought one yet but I've only seen good things.

As for safes, I have a FAS1 which is combination, key, or combination and key. Made of very thick steel and you can use the key to lock out the combination when you're not home to prevent kids or others from tampering with it. They sell several sizes with several options and often have discounts. A lot of other safes are very easily bypassed if you look on YouTube.

Here's the link to their site: FAS1 Safe - Home

There are a number of good solutions and you're planning ahead which is great. Good luck!

%< cut
Thanks for any advice!

I recommend buying at a local gun shop. Ask nicely if they can demonstrate the fit a firearm similar to yours.

Can you get a solid grip on the weapon in the safe?
Can you easily pick it up?
Will it close properly with your setup ( light / laser / optic ... )

Based upon the username only, if your children are not in the home, you might also consider a solid core locking door for your bedroom.
If they are at home, time to start planning how you will protect them.

Also, considering your living situation, is a handgun best for you? Carbine / shotgun better? Having a place to put down your EDC handgun makes sense. But if you fear home invasion where you have to make a stand - your bedroom - have enough firepower.

None of these are easy decisions. Welcome to NWFA.

If you go to Google Images and google "Pistol lock box" you'll get tons of pictures of just about everything on the market. And you can trace the box to its source from there.

I've got a version of this one...
Fort Knox PB1 Original Pistol Storage Safe - View All Handgun Safes

It's gotta be 20 years old at this point and works like a champ. Note that I'm a huge fan of Simplex Locks for quick access gun safes. Anything that is electronic can fail or the battery can die.

I also use this one in my car. It's smaller and much cheaper. I'm not quite sure I would call it "quick access" since you have to dial in the combination. But if you're ok with doing it each night right before you go to bed, it could work. Note that this safe is sold by a ton of people under a ton of names. So you can probably find it cheaper with a little searching. I just grabbed the first one I found.

https://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Security-Pistol-Lock-box-Travel/dp/B078ZKSFMW

I like the suggestions others have posted, especially the low cost solutions like 3.5" screws in hinges and the strike plate.
I encourage you to look at the Master Lock 265D Door Security Bar as another inexpensive way to add protection for you and your family. I've used them on my doors and they work well on a variety of flooring surfaces - carpet, tile, and wood. So simple the kids can use them - just in case.
One on the exterior door(s) and one on the BR door will give you time to secure your weapon and call 911 for help. Keep 911 on the line so you have a recording that you warned the intruder you have called the police, that they should leave now, and the you are armed and ready to use deadly force. Hang up only after the police have arrived.
Your gun should be your last line of defense - not your only one. Doors are one way into your house, but you need to consider the windows too. There are cheap fixes for the windows no matter what type(s) you have in your home. Just closing the blinds, interior shutters, or curtains can slow down a home invasion. Do you and the kids have a "Just-In-Case" action plan? If not, sit down with them and create a plan.
Kathy Jackson has some great information for armed mothers on her blog - corneredcat.com - that we all would benefit from reading.
Oh, I have a Hornady Rapid Safe for my S&W Governor loaded with .410 double ought.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top