JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After putting it off WAY too long I'm getting ready to go get my Oregon CCW. However, as a non resident, I must provide a latter stating my reason for wanting an Oregon permit, and that reason "must be compelling in nature."

I live in Vancouver and from what I've seen Columbia County is the way to go without a five hour drive. I've heard they're pretty good about issuing to nonresidents and they hold appointment free registration days a few times a month...one of which happens to be this coming Saturday in St. Helens.

So can anyone offer any tips on my letter? Or any other aspect? I have taken an NRA basic pistol course already and have held my WA CPL for almost ten years now. I also have my reference letters being filled out as we speak (type?). Anything I'm missing?

Unfortunately this is a new license not a renewal, and Multnomah County says on its website that it is currently not processing any out of state applications. My friend is getting his resident CCW and had a six month wait for his appointment to get in and get it done, so I imagine they're swamped.

Compelling Reason...

Do you have a need to drive into Oregon on a frequent basis, like for work?

Do you ever go to a shooting range in Oregon?

The US Supreme Court ruled in DeShaney v Winnebago County that: "A State's failure to protect an individual against private violence generally does not constitute a violation of the Due Process Clause, because the Clause imposes no duty on the State to provide members of the general public with adequate protective services. The Clause is phrased as a limitation on the State's power to act, not as a guarantee of certain minimal levels of safety and security; while it forbids the State itself to deprive individuals of life, liberty, and property without due process of law, its language cannot fairly be read to impose an affirmative obligation on the State to ensure that those interests do not come to harm through other means."

As a result of this ruling, we are left to our own devices for protection. The US Supreme Court said in Heller v DC that the handgun is "the most preferred firearm in the nation to
‘keep' and use for protection of one's home and family," so I'm guessing that we must arm ourselves...

If you are a non-resident applicant “Legitimate demonstrated need” examples may be for: self defense, constitutional right, travel, isolated rural roads, travel late at night, camping, elderly, lack of police coverage etc.....

Or you could just give Sheriff Palmer at Grant County a call. http://oregonfirearms.org/pdfs/grantcochlapp.pdf
It is quite a drive to John Day/Canyon City, but he is very pro-2A. If I didn't have to apply in the county of my residence, I would have gone there for my Oregon CHL instead of having to wait 5 months for an appointment plus another 3 months for it come in the mail (still waiting).

The US Supreme Court ruled in DeShaney v Winnebago County that: "A State's failure to protect an individual against private violence generally does not constitute a violation of the Due Process Clause, because the Clause imposes no duty on the State to provide members of the general public with adequate protective services. The Clause is phrased as a limitation on the State's power to act, not as a guarantee of certain minimal levels of safety and security; while it forbids the State itself to deprive individuals of life, liberty, and property without due process of law, its language cannot fairly be read to impose an affirmative obligation on the State to ensure that those interests do not come to harm through other means."

As a result of this ruling, we are left to our own devices for protection. The US Supreme Court said in Heller v DC that the handgun is “the most preferred firearm in the nation to
‘keep’ and use for protection of one’s home and family,” so I'm guessing that we must arm ourselves...

Citing this is as compelling as it gets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top