JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Remember when Net Neutrality went around?

I'm not sure what happened with that but it appears that we are getting backhanded now with our home internet providers.

Starting November 1 2017 the bastards (Comcast, from here forward will be referred to as bastards) will be limiting your household internet account to 1TB worth of data transmission.

We're writing to let you know that we will be activating a new XFINITY Internet Data Usage Plan in your area. Effective November 1, 2016, your XFINITY Internet service will include one terabyte (that's 1,024 GB) of data usage per month. With a terabyte of data you can stream between 600 and 700 hours of HD video, play more than 12,000 hours of online games, or download 60,000 high-res photos in a month.

For the past three months, your average data usage was only
147 GB. Based on your usage history, you can still stream, surf, game, download and do whatever you want to do online, worry free.

horizontalbar.php?value1=147.png

One terabyte is a massive amount of data – less than 1% of our customers use that amount in a month. However, we still want to make sure you understand your options and choose the Data Usage Plan that works best for you. If you believe you will need more data, an Unlimited Data option is available. Our data plans are based on a principle of fairness. Those who use more Internet data, pay more. And those who use less Internet data, pay less.

One Terabyte Plan and Unlimited Data option:
One Terabyte (TB) included/month If one TB is exceeded, $10 is charged for each additional data block of up to 50 GB/month $200 overage charge limit - no matter how much data is used
Unlimited Data Additional $50/month No overage charges — no matter how much data is used each month

You can also track and manage your usage so there are never any surprises about how much data you use. Here are a few tools you can use:
  • Data Usage meter – Monitor how much data your household has used with our <broken link removed>.
  • Data Usage Estimator - Estimate your data usage with our
    <broken link removed>. Simply enter how your household typically uses the Internet and the tool will estimate your monthly data usage.
  • Notifications - If you approach, reach or exceed one terabyte of data usage, we will send you a courtesy "in-browser" notice as well as an email. You can also elect to receive notifications at specific usage thresholds and set up mobile text notifications. Learn more about notifications <broken link removed>. Usage notifications will not be sent to customers who enroll in the Unlimited Data option.
For the less than 1% of customers who do exceed one terabyte of data usage, we're offering two courtesy months, so customers will not be charged the first two times they exceed one terabyte while they are getting comfortable with the new plan.

If you have any questions about the new Data Usage Plan, please visit<broken link removed>.

Thank you for being an XFINITY Internet customer.

I'm not a user of that much data, it will not have any impact on my life BUT what I do find irritating and pisses me off is that they are putting this cap on there.

They are straight going for the throats of those who stream videos, movies and the like. Since they cannot issue a pay-per-use on the sites you visit they will treat you like a cell phone company.

Bastards can suck my *#&#(

My average is what's shown in the image linked. I copied from their email.

Click here: https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter
for your personal data usage meter.

Got the same email today.

There was actually a 250gig max before but wasn't enforced.

The 1 terabyte increase is because of people streaming or gaming in 4K vs 1080p now are blowing the 250gig out of the water I'm sure.

I stream a lot but barely hit the 200's.

Agreed though it will suck for some folks and they will get hit with that $50 'overage penalty'.

So you didn't understand what was meant when they explained the term "Common Carrier" and how it would apply to ISPs in the new order of things?

Now you know. Now they compare to other "common carriers" like trucking companies, who charge by the mile and reserve the right to a surcharge for additional load, size etc.

It's not like no one tried to put the warning out. But this is what happens when the government hires massive numbers of PR people. They come up with catchy terms like "Net Neutrality" and direct a noise program that drowns out dissent.

Rule #1. If the Gooberment wants a law/rule put in place that allows them or their cronies to screw you, that's the reason they want it.
Never mind all the reasons they'll give you beforehand. That's all white noise designed to hide/obfuscate the real goal(s). Ignore them when they tell you they would "never do that" and this rule/law is designed to make things "fair."
There is no altruism where government and big business overlap. One or the other wants something of yours.
Your money, liberty, free will etc.

Lawyers, lobbyists and corporate execs love "regulatory capture," (look it up) and know how to use it for their benefit and against you, and get you to beg for more.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fkirinjirafa.files.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F04%2Fthank-you-sir-may-i-have-another.jpg

Last Edited:
I checked mine, seems I average around 450-600gb per month. We are a stream-only house.

I phoned those same bastards the other night and ranted about trying to watch a recorded show - with a big splash screen in the middle of the picture instructing me to "click here" (WTF... it's a TV!) for some sort of Xfinity jive that costs more money and doesn't interest me even slightly!

Told them I pay WAY too much for their lowest level of TV service to be pimped for MORE money DURING the show itself! (Actually, I was barely paying attention while I was doing other stuff, but it was annoying.)

Kevin in India was cool, though, so I ended up with a $10 credit for my inconvenience.

When this contract ends, I'm done with them. I'm ditching the land line (fake IRS is the only caller on that number anyway), finding a much cheaper Internet provider and watching only what I can see on one of those free HD TV antenna things.

I only stream for all my video and audio! I hate cable dry raping and have no need of a land line, so I ditched them several years back, and don't miss them at all! I checked my usage, the two od us use about 300 to 450 Gb a month!

I phoned those same bastards the other night and ranted about trying to watch a recorded show - with a big splash screen in the middle of the picture instructing me to "click here" (WTF... it's a TV!) for some sort of Xfinity jive that costs more money and doesn't interest me even slightly!

Told them I pay WAY too much for their lowest level of TV service to be pimped for MORE money DURING the show itself! (Actually, I was barely paying attention while I was doing other stuff, but it was annoying.)

Kevin in India was cool, though, so I ended up with a $10 credit for my inconvenience.

When this contract ends, I'm done with them. I'm ditching the land line (fake IRS is the only caller on that number anyway), finding a much cheaper Internet provider and watching only what I can see on one of those free HD TV antenna things.

I need the high speed internet too much. DSL sucks:(

So you didn't understand what was meant when they explained the term "Common Carrier" and how it would apply to ISPs in the new order of things?

Now you know. Now they compare to other "common carriers" like trucking companies, who charge by the mile and reserve the right to a surcharge for additional load, size etc.

It's not like no one tried to put the warning out. But this is what happens when the government hires massive numbers of PR people. They come up with catchy terms like "Net Neutrality" and direct a noise program that drowns out dissent.

Rule #1. If the Gooberment wants a law/rule put in place that allows them or their cronies to screw you, that's the reason they want it.
Never mind all the reasons they'll give you beforehand. That's all white noise designed to hide/obfuscate the real goal(s). Ignore them when they tell you they would "never do that" and this rule/law is designed to make things "fair."
There is no altruism where government and big business overlap. One or the other wants something of yours.
Your money, liberty, free will etc.

Lawyers, lobbyists and corporate execs love "regulatory capture," (look it up) and know how to use it for their benefit and against you, and get you to beg for more.

View attachment 316134
Thank you!

Seriously? Just my day's email is a couple gigs... and that's not even looking at data packages to and from clients, or scans from various museums, libraries and archives in support of same. (Seriously, if you're a good woodworker looking to build your own old-school wooden Ship of the Line I can probably hook you up with all the plans you need for construction from scratch, between my own data and the various archives I've tapped. All of that data does not come on light bandwidth...)

Molalla Cimmunications. Publicly owned Co-op, 125/125 fiber with no data cap for 74 a month.

Also, Net Neutrality has nothing to do with data caps, it has to do with charging more for access. So, Comcast who's anti-gun can't throttle or charge you more to access this site or others.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top