JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As of this morning it is officially cold!

I work outside year round, in a job which requires a high level of dexterity (including some keyboard use). The dexterity part is more important than warmth, but both would be awesome :)

Bonus points for posting your favorite breathable underlayers!

Costco had a big stack of thermal gloves with reactive tips to work with smart phones.

If you don't need that, Homedepot has a good selection of handyman/summer or winter gloves that can be cut off at the knuckles or not depending on your needs.

If they need to be water resistant then spray them with water repellent once a week.

Mountain Hardware Plasmic OutDry, smartphone enabled (Stimulus), REI, $70. Stupidly expensive but worth it if you need something with those requirements. I keep a pair with me when I travel. They are not for heavy working with tools.

For my general use (which is outside most of the time too) I use the thin leather gloves from fred meyer. I think Quality Glove Company is the brand. They are $10 a pair. They last longer than harbor freight cheapies and pride me with the dexteriry to use most tools. They dont do smart phones well but i dont use my phone when operating the truck or tools anyway.

When it gets nasty cold ala snow / ice days I upsize from medium to large gloves and wear liner gloves underneath. I dont like waterproof gloves because my hands get sweaty and that kind of defeats the point.

I keep 2-3 pair in the truck, and buy a big bag of the cheapy harbor freight glove liners. IIRC it was $5 for a dozen of the liner pairs last i bought em.

When the gloves get soaked and cold i remove em wring them outvand switch to my driest pair.

I have the benefit of keeping the truck running pretty much all day so in wet cold weather i switch heat to split floor/defrost and keep the wet pair near the floor vents to warm and dry. Heater in thw truck works way too well and if i run three pairs and switch out every call I almost always have a warm dry pair to wear.

The nice thing about cold weather golf gloves, is they don't hurt your feel or dexterity. I can still hit the lake at 100 yards with em on.

OR Backstopper .... single most versatile handwear I have in the arsenal, and I have a lot of gloves/mittens/liners, and experience using them in extreme environments. I'm usually active enough that they're all I wear down to mid-teens, but if it's colder or super windy, and I need intermittent dexterity, I'll combine the Backstoppers with a mitten shell for wind protection or insulated mitten for extreme cold.

If it's mid teens and up, and I don't need a ton of dexterity, I'll sport MH Hydra EXTs - wind proof, waterproof, decent dexterity, lightly insulated.. really good all-around glove.

I usually just wear a lightweight pair of the thin fabric / rubber gloves. Pretty much covers all the cold exposure I need. I have a few pairs of slightly heavier gloves for the drift boat, or if I have to run equipment or when we are moving equipment for any reason.

I got into the thin gloves when the boys were wearing them all the time when we were shooting. That is the types they wore in Afghanistan all the time, and that habit came home with them, makes sense to me, I have been shooting with them all the time, especially my carry piece since time to take off the gloves is probably not happening.

Draw, present, fire, hot reload all feels a bit different with gloves on.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top