JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just received a roll of uncirculated George Washington $1 Gold Coins (no gold content at all, these are the new $1 coins from a few years ago)

After doing research I read these are worth just that $1.. Unless they are the batch of screw ups that went out without the inscription on the rim of the coin. Those are said to be worth $50-$60 each, that means my roll of coins would be wroth $1250 :D

What should I do rip them open and check it out or keep them in the coin wrapper just store them away? Or are they even worth it to store them away, maybe I should just rip them open and check for the inscription on the rim, and if its there then just spend the coins :huh:

That has been the problem with many similar coins, the Susan B, the Sac, even the $2 bill. In the end your better off to spend them and buy real gold or silver. Those have a better chance of increasing in value. A $2 bill is still just worth $2.

Coins of any type with mint errors are generally valuable....some extremely so.....Even if regular, error free Washington dollars were worth a lot, keeping them in a coin wrapper won't increase their value any. Actually they'd be more likely to depreciate, as being stacked together in a wrapper can cause abrasion and aesthetic damage. Were they valuable, the best bet would be to open the wrapper & store each separately- coin shops have various types of storage / display containers available that will keep them in excellent condition....might as well go ahead & open 'em anyway since the wrapper won't make them worth more, plus you just might find you have one or more rare variants or a one with a mint error.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top