JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This really is a fuster cluck like I've not seen in a while. Not sure how any organization could make something this difficult and stung out. So if I ever get a chance to use my number and pay for a rebuilt pistol, then wait another 90 days to see it? Its just comical now. Of course I would never re-sell it...right?

How exactly is CMP cluster bubbleguming anything? They've been perfectly transparent and have explained everything they have done and have intended to do. That included how to apply, what the wait would be, why things take time, how the process is working, what the expectations are, what sorts of issues they are having, etc. I found the process to be as they said it would be and relatively painless.

Honorably discharged veterans should have first priority on those, then CMP can have what's left via lottery for their members.

My number is in the 7000 range too, looks like I am only about 100 or so ahead of you.

Someone called into gun talk saying they already got theirs in the 3000 range.

Here is hoping we get ours this year :)

I saw a 1911 in a museum at the coast and it just made me drool in anticipation. Can't wait to have a piece of history to cherish. Will go nicely along side my Garand.

I put in my paperwork towards the last day they were accepting the applications. Waited until they generated the random numbers, and was informed of my number (1973 or so as I recall) on 11/13/2018 via email. A buddy of mine was closer to 1000, and received a call from the CMP, placed his order, and then received one within a week or so. I received a call from the CMP early January 2019, placed an order, and received a 1911 at me FFL on January 17, 2019.

A1B19B33-10F2-435D-BACB-151B2994041C.jpeg C2D81249-A15B-464C-B45B-4702BE8B958E.jpeg

Last Edited:
I put in my paperwork towards the last day they were accepting the applications. Waited until they generated the random numbers, and was informed of my number (1973 or so as I recall) on 11/13/2018 via email. A buddy of mine was closer to 1000, and received a call from the CMP, placed his order, and then received one within a week or so. I received a call from the CMP early January 2019, placed an order, and received a 1911 at me FFL on January 17, 2019.

I guess in this case the early bird does not get the worm. I actually didn't fully read the post and turned in my paperwork early and it was shredded, had to do the whole process again on the correct date range. :oops:

So I had to do all the notary crap and everything twice. And turned it in early in the window... I just hope I don't miss their call. With the Garand I missed their call and called back. It was like a month before they got back to me again.

Which really sucks because I get like 5 spam calls a day. The process is definitely more of a pota then a normal purchase, but still worth it. :)

Well that's a fine looking gun! SG = Service grade I presume? Top of the three grades?

Personally that's not something I would go for at a K note. I'm happy for you though and enjoy seeing one.

Yes, the process included quite a few hoops to jump through, and is kind of a crapshoot on whether or not you are successful, but I'm glad that I did it. I have other 1911s, but none that are US Property marked.

Also did an M1 Garand from the CMP, and a couple Kimber K82G Target rifles earlier. Have been pleased with all four of them.

My number was 3810 and I got a really nice service grade about a week ago (pics are in Show Your Guns) . I missed the call but they left a message and I called back. If you are worried about the process, check the CMP website and the CMP 1911 forum. Lots of info on how the process is working and some of the folks on the forum are tracking and forecasting shipment dates based on your RNG. Those have been pretty darn accurate. CMP is doing a pretty good job of notification and is trying to get the guns to the folks who get through the process. I got an email from them when the gun shipped. They don't charge your card until they are ready to ship. The don't hold any money while you wait. If you don't get the message from them, it's on you, not them.

To purchase from CMP you have to sign you are using it for personal use and have it notorized. This is horribly abused. Sellers are listed M1's on gunbroker within weeks of the CMP hang tag armorers date. Locally the is a gunbroker seller in Corvallis doing just that. Rifle sales to youth clubs are also abused, just to a lesser extent.

I am ok with CMP banning people from future purchases for lying on the purchase application.

Thanks saread...thats a very good update. I've kept a close eye on the website but IMHO their information and delays aren't explained well at all.

The CMP Forum has a lot of information and the CMP uses it to communicate. If you have a question, post it up there and they do answer. There really isn't a delay in the system (see the tracking info on the 1911 forum) it's just that they are working through the 18,000 applications and inspecting and prepping the 8,000 guns. As near as I can tell, they are shipping about 40 guns per work day. It's not fast, but it's steady. One thing you can be sure of is that when you receive your gun, it will be safe, it will work and is usually something more than you expected. The CMP has a long history of over delivering on their products.

To sell the 1911's, CMP created an entirely new program to deal with pistols. CMP 1911 isn't connected to the normal CMP store and works as a completely separate entity (albeit under the overall CMP umbrella). That means all new paperwork, all new procedures (selling pistols is way different than selling rifles, ammo, parts, etc), and a new shop with qualified armorers and support staff. Without another allotment of pistols being disbursed from the DoD, they may not even exist when this batch is sold and delivered. That all means that CMP 1911 doesn't have a lot of staff. So, after they spent the time to get the infrastructure in place, they don't have unlimited resources to push through the demand. All of this means, we get to wait. That's OK, I have a lot of 1911's to shoot.

To purchase from CMP you have to sign you are using it for personal use and have it notorized. This is horribly abused. Sellers are listed M1's on gunbroker within weeks of the CMP hang tag armorers date. Locally the is a gunbroker seller in Corvallis doing just that. Rifle sales to youth clubs are also abused, just to a lesser extent.

I am ok with CMP banning people from future purchases for lying on the purchase application.

I think there's been a lot of wink, wink, nudge, nudge, with the Garands. You are allowed to purchase 8 per year from CMP, and as long as you kept a low profile, they haven't been too concerned about the secondary market. As long as Garands are plentiful, they probably won't be too uptight about how they move around. The pistols are different, those are 1 per lifetime right now. Because they are selling handguns, they have a vested interest in not seeing them in the general market. The CMP doesn't need one of these showing up in the hands of a mass murdering dirtbag. I also think they are aware of the collectability of these guns and want to see them in the hands of folks who will appreciate what they are and the history they represent. Everyone knows that their value is not as a shooter, there are much better 1911's available on the market for much less money. And, they are definitely not interested in lining the pockets of speculators. I am with you being OK with banning the speculators from the CMP program.

I didn't even apply for the 1911s, but have M1s from the CMP. The qualifications and process for purchase doesn't bother me, I just couldn't justify spending the money. I'll probably regret it some day. I do regret not buying one of the Italian return M1 Carbines a few years ago.

As to the debate over pricing and reselling, those issues have been the subjects of controversy and arguing for years and years on the CMP forums.

It was nice to buy an M1 Garand for $300 when I got my first one (though I'm sure some of you older guys got them for a lot less), but from a business perspective it makes sense to sell them for close to market value. Too much under attracts the resellers who want to make a quick buck. If they wanted to do that they might as well wholesale them to dealers through normal retail channels.

I'm not terribly interested in paying what they're asking for the 1911s, but clearly a LOT of people are, so I guess that's the market price.

Nothing against those who bought them. I have to say I am a little jealous. :)

Contacted with random number: November 29, 2018 #2707
Contacted by CMP (First time): March 13, 2019 (didn't answer or call back)
Contacted by CMP (Second time): March 29th, 2019
Called back CMP: April 1st 2019
Credit Card hit: April 10th, 2019
Shipping notification via email: April 11th, 2019
Ffl recieved: April 12th, 2019
Picked up April 13th, 2019
Recieved: Remington Rand frame and slide
1942-43 manufacture, arsenal refurbished
Service Grade

15551814518271973029408.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events