JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It was bound to end sooner or later, but it looks like the CMP has sold out of the Field Grade M1 Garands as of Nov. 3rd. All that they are currently showing available is a "Expert Grade" for $1000 and "Special Rack Grade" for $750 which are refurbished rifles with new production stocks and barrels. Still not a bad price, but if you were hoping to order a unmolested original M1 from the CMP those days may have passed.

Their disclaimer at the start of the page sounds like they definitely plan to open more grades again. Grain of salt of course.

"We hope to open up rifle types again once we have restocked our inventory and processed the majority of our backorders."

I believe the CMP has enough rifles for a few more years, and thats barring any more from coming back from places like Korea. A main reason they are currently out of stock is the huge backlog created by all the lockdowns.

They're still auctioning unissued specimens on their store/auction site. They got quite a mountain of rifles from the Philippines. Everything from unissued in original foil to mountain folk "customized" monstrosities. Have my hopes up still for a WWII receiver/stock with forged trigger guard. (Yes, I know the late war stamped guards are better)
I'm not wanting to have 10 of em, just want one like my Dad used in New Guinea.

I wouldn't worry. The CMP is frequently running out of different grades. This usually lasts a
few months and the guns are back. The more rare guns like Winchesters and International
Harvesters are scarce and expensive, when available. The FG and SG always come and go.
I have always got Service Grades in the past but I like the authenticity of the Field Grades.
Been shooting a SA SG for 20 years, runs like a champ and still groups. It's a 53 SA barrel
that I thought would wear out years ago..

You can't lose with any of the CMP Garands. Shoot them, enjoy them. The value does not go
down.

Spambo

I wouldn't worry. The CMP is frequently running out of different grades. This usually lasts a
few months and the guns are back. The more rare guns like Winchesters and International
Harvesters are scarce and expensive, when available. The FG and SG always come and go.
I have always got Service Grades in the past but I like the authenticity of the Field Grades.
Been shooting a SA SG for 20 years, runs like a champ and still groups. It's a 53 SA barrel
that I thought would wear out years ago..

You can't lose with any of the CMP Garands. Shoot them, enjoy them. The value does not go
down.

Spambo

Sounds like a field grade is my best bet for a GI stock, WWII receiver?

But Ammo. I guess there might be one more batch of HXP possibly. I didn't get in on this Garand thing when I should have.

Sounds like a field grade is my best bet for a GI stock, WWII receiver?

But Ammo. I guess there might be one more batch of HXP possibly. I didn't get in on this Garand thing when I should have.
A FG would be more collectable than a SA, IMHO, since the SG tend to have new wood
and refinished parts. The last SG I got in 2011 looks like a new gun. A WWII gun will have
a serial number under 4M but the barrel will probably be from a later date and the parts
from different vendors. The FG and SG are all mixmasters now so YMMV. To assume that
a Garand was actually used in WWII is a stretch. Since CMP Garands are from the
US Govt., all these guns will have collector value. Some day the CMP will run out Garands
so get one or 2 while you can.

Shoot them, enjoy them.

Spambo

I have a Field Grade pending on the CMP estore and two more in the works that I ordered in August. I also have a Expert Grade ordered in .308.

I had read that the majority of the Philippine returns had unusable barrels, which would explain the Specials and Expert Grades having new barrels.

-E-

I have a Field Grade pending on the CMP estore and two more in the works that I ordered in August. I also have a Expert Grade ordered in .308.

I had read that the majority of the Philippine returns had unusable barrels, which would explain the Specials and Expert Grades having new barrels.

-E-

Looking forward to you getting the 308 Expert. I'm seriously tempted to order one, since I have at least two boxes of 7.62nato saved and locked up.

I have a CMP special in 308. It's beautiful. H&R receiver and SA bolt..... however the trigger control group is SA and dated to 1940! I couldn't believe I got a pre-war part.

I have a CMP special in 308. It's beautiful. H&R receiver and SA bolt..... however the trigger control group is SA and dated to 1940! I couldn't believe I got a pre-war part.

The Specials has Criterion barrels. They're not stating what kind of barrels they're putting in the Experts. Which is why I'm hesitating.

The Specials has Criterion barrels. They're not stating what kind of barrels they're putting in the Experts. Which is why I'm hesitating.
First report of a .308 Expert in hand today on the CMP forum. Criterion barrels and walnut CMP stocks on both rifles ordered.

-E-

Pics are up. 2X Expert Grade in .308 Win. Not too shabby.

CMP 308.jpeg

CMP 4.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews