JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The biggest thing I see with the guys with big 4wd trucks is their speed and their tires. Mud tires are shiiite on the ice. Not enough contact points to keep traction.
And I notice the guys that are driving too fast for the conditions are typically younger, and just don't understand how their rigs are going to handle on the packed snow and ice. Their experience driving in conditions like we have now are from wheeling with buddies on snow covered forest service roads, bombing through fresh powder or crunchy untraveled roads, not packed snow or sheets of ice.

I run Goodyear Duratracs on my 4runner. They are one of the very few beefy off road tires that are snow rated, and have the mountain/snowflake symbol. They are really great in deep snow off road, and still work well on the snowy/icy streets. I also use the power shifter gears instead of the brakes whenever possible.

That is what I have on my excursion also. They work great! We were up at the zoo today, amazing people watching as folks got their fwd appliances stuck in the parking lot.
I run Goodyear Duratracs on my 4runner. They are one of the very few beefy off road tires that are snow rated, and have the mountain/snowflake symbol. They are really great in deep snow off road, and still work well on the snowy/icy streets. I also use the power shifter gears instead of the brakes whenever possible.

Lol I drive across snoqumie pass 4 time's a week and every time I have to chain up my truck lol when I say truck I mean 18 wheeler well actually my truck has like 24 wheels but lol but chains required for all except All wheel drive and guess who I see crashed in the ditch or crashed into the center wall yep almost always a 4X4 or all wheel drive car and when they close the HWY BECAUSE OF MULTIPLE ACCIDENT 'S THATS WHO CAUSED IT SOMME IDIOT IN A ALL WHEEL DRIVE THINKING THEY ARE INVISIBLE

I run BF-Goodrich Mud Terrain XT's and these do awesome in snow, I air them down to 20 psi and am practically unstoppable! I also know my limits and those of my Waggy, so I don't have problems!

I have a Subaru outback limited I have no snow tires just what it came with and snow ice mud what ever the conditions never a problem , but I'm not blazing any new trails either slow and easy will get you there plenty of following distance
(uncommon sense) my friends uncommon sense, I say that because you don't see much common sense anymore

I got out and up the private road this morning - as long as I got some momentum going and didn't stop going up the hill, I was fine.

Then I came home and I was going to park in my usual place which involved slowing way down and turning a tight slight uphill corner in my driveway and I just slid sideways in the foot deep snow. So I had to backup and turn around and park - pointing out - in the flat part of my driveway near its mouth so I can leave again tomorrow.

Not sure yet whether I will leave tomorrow - came home too tired and sick short of a full day, and tomorrow they say there may be snow and/or freezing rain in the morning before it melts somewhat. Depends on how I feel and what happens. Freezing rain in the valley may be more snow here on the mountain.

I like the snow, I just wish I wasn't sick and I could get out and enjoy it.

I noticed more deer tracks, but again, too sick to look around and see just what is out there (besides the stupid dogs tracking up everything).

2005 Honda CR-V. It goes fine in this very cold snow. The VSA, Variable Steering Assist, is a pretty neat feature. I prefer the side roads as they are fluffy, chopped up snow. Easier stopping and not so much worry about hitting a reall hard pack/icy spot. That ultra hard pack stuff is what scares me a little more. I don't care what fancy AWD car you got, if it's ice with a sheen on it nothing stops no matter how many wheel drive you've got! But when that hard pack is 24 degrees it not nearly as slick as 31-32 degree stuff.

What's been killing me is the people in the AWDs going 8mph. From what I've noticed, it must be 70% of the vehicles on the roads are SUVs, Subaru's, Honda's, Rav-4s. Dammit people learn your vehicles! You need to hit your brakes on occasion and FEEL if it's slippery/how slippery. Learn your vehicle! Punch the throttle to spin the tires a bit,(just a bit, you don't need to peg the tach), so you know what the road condition is! I've not been out a lot, I don't trust others. Plus, due to the idiots the traffic crawls every where.

I'll be ecstatic when this mess is gone. I'm too far passed my playin' in the snow days! I don't know how them Minnesotans deal with this garbage!

Snoh?

What snoh?

mcv_80_warrior.jpg

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show