Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

closest places to shoot near Oregon city?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by finch6013, Nov 23, 2008.

1. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

If anyone would be kind enough to share some shooting spots within a decent driving distance of Oregon city please let me know

2. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

Goat mountain on the outskirts of springwater/dodge is probably your best bet.

3. finch6013

thanks for the info. I dont really know where that is. if you could tell me or I will do a little research

4. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

Get on redland road. Head to the end of it.

Get on springwater road and head to the end of it.

Turn left onto the highway then a quick right onto hillhockburn road.

Stay on that road until it turns into BLM land

5. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

How crowded does it get out there?

6. finch6013

its probably 40 yards wide and about 80 yards long with two gravel piles and I've shot with as many as about 20 other people so it gets to the point that your gettin hit with hot casings all day. But sometimes I go and I'm all alone. hard to say. just depends on the day. its accessible by car if you arent in love with your car. its gravel but gets steep in some places and is washboardy. I've been to goat mountain and just didn't know it. not a bad place to shoot. the place in molalla is about 5 miles closer for me according to my car

7. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

A note for new shooters please make sure you don't shoot at trees, that you have a safe backstop and that you clean up.

shooters are getting a lot of flack in the news because of bad shooters shooting trees not having a safe back stop and not cleaning up

take this info and pass it on or they will close up all these free areas to shoot.

8. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Excellent advice :thumbup:

9. finch6013

I agree. A place I grew up shooting at got closed down a few years back because some guys went out and shot down about four full size fir trees. and left trash everywhere. If we are going to keep our spots and rights as gun owners please keep a good image

10. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

Weebs - I followed the directions on Google maps. This looks like the back way into the infamous Memaloose area (which i have not been to). Are these the same shooting holes?

11. mudslinging79

mudslinging79 oregn Member

if it is memaloose, why not just hit 205 to the estacada exit? 224 takes you there, and its paved the whole way.

12. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

Thats where I go almost religiously. there are couple really long alley ways you can shoot at that have dirt (mostly) backstops. Its where I like to shoot my RRA 24" A4 varminter. and all my other goodies as well. I take my kids there also. never any problems and they get to see what a place looks like when you pack it in and dont pack it out. So it shows them what not to do with your old muffler and stove. other than easy to get to most places by car.

13. mudslinging79

fyi memaloose is closed for shooting the first 7 miles in from 224

14. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

ya someone said they saw some closed signs the other weekend. So is that due to logging going on, or does anyone know. Isnt the gravel quarry up top about 7 miles. this kinda stinks.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  15. sawchain guy

sawchain guy PDX Member

We sometimes drive to Squaw Mtn above Northfork Res.

There are two gravel pits and you can only shoot in the back one. You need to pick a time when the Dirt Bike riders won't be there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=n45 13.37 w122 1.28&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

For some reason I can't save the Google map directly at the gravel pits, but if you look just to the north of the road closer to Northfork you will see the pits

16. mudslinging79

rangers told me it was due to shooting across the highway as well as campgrounds. is the first pit on the left as one heads up from 224 outside the no shooting zone?

17. sawchain guy

sawchain guy PDX Member

Yeah I was shooting in the lower small pit once and was told by the local Sheriff and the Ranger that I had to go up farther to where there are two pits and only shoot in the back one.

18. finch6013

is this on memaloose rd or somewhere else. I was thinking about checking it out in a few weeks for the first time and I dont want to end up shooting somewhere I'm not suppose to.

19. mudslinging79

its on memaloose rd. far as i know fish creek landing strip is still open

20. finch6013

that sucks. I've been wanting to shoot there for a while now but i'm still waiting on ammo to show up in the mail. mabe its just closed temp