JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
[/IMG]This post is to share what we fear!

The close call... The attached pic is of a nine sided Ricochet that hit an inch from my left temple, while during a live fire with the Seabees. I was the Corpsman standing by, leaning up against a door structure 50 Ft behind the firing line. There was a wooded area behind the targets, which deflected this round to the door frame just left of my Left eye. I heard something hit the frame, I looked down and picked up the round pictured. It was extremely warm and made me bounce it in my hand.:s0131: Let's share what we have to increase the safety of others.

Last Edited:
I don't have a picture but I found a 22 round perfectly mushroomed on my deck one time. I never heard it ricochet though. The thought that crossed my mind was the possibility that one of my neighbors that lives on the high ground actually shot at us :eek: I'm pretty sure it was a ricochet though. FWIW I often shoot into my hillside off my back porch. I can not see my neighbors but I know people live beyond the hill on high ground. I've heard them grumble once or twice when I was testing 45 Super rounds. "Cheese and Rice!!!" etc. If they belong to this board let me know. I'd like to meet you. I don't wish to bother my neighbors and if I met them and got their phone number I could at least let them know when I was planning on shooting since it seems to have caught them off guard once or twice.

Anyways I have heard a ricocheted 9mm once shooting into my hillside. The previous owner had extra bricks it seems and he buried them randomly on the property. It must have been some sort of weird hobby. Ask me how much fun it was to dig fence post holes!?!?!? Nothing more fun then digging and finding a brick or two you have to excavate out so that you can continue digging or better yet lawn mover blade, bucket handles, bottles, car parts. Yep the previous owner loved to bury things...

This is embarrassing.. But I did learn a very serious lesson from it. So, I'll share it. Please don't criticize me for what you are about to read, I took what happened seriously and handle guns much more carefully now.

I was trying out bump firing for the first time, and was only firing five rounds. Well less than a second of firing, I'm pretty sure that the guns empty. I think because of the bump fire, it threw me off, and I didn't do proper checks. But as I was turning around and walking back towards the car.. I mindlessly pulled the trigger. I heard a loud bang, and dirt hitting my face, as my rifle jumped in my hands. I stood there for a couple seconds, in a sort of shocked state. (my dad was too.) I looked down, looking at my foot. It was intact. But just about 3 inches from me, I could see where the bullet had hit the ground. After this, I checked the gun several times, making sure. The only thing that kept me from having a bullet go through my foot was the fact that I naturally hold the gun properly, aimed at the ground and away from anything that might feel pain.

I learned a couple things, all of which I already knew. But I was very well reminded of them. Check your gun when you're done firing. In the past I had loaded more than I intended to shoot, and I cleared rounds from the chamber when i thought I was done. After this little lesson.. I always drop the mag, and cycle the action four or five times, to be extra certain.

Also, don't have your finger on the trigger until you're ready to fire, and, don't bump fire. It's dangerous.

I just got back from elk hunting and a guy from another camp we know shot his foot off at about 2" above the ankle.He was carrying the rifle loaded no saftey and slid on some mud and you can imagine the rest.It was a stupid move and easly avoided but happened any way becuase he didn't want to be bothered by the saftey.

I was hit with a 9mm ricochet once during a live fire exercise at the CCSO range a few years back. We were training using constructed walls and we were training using a mock hallway. Shortly after the last round was fired from my MP5 I was hit just below the web belt and above my manhood with a 9mm ricochet. It hit me pretty hard and left a nice purple mark.

when i was 12 i had a .22 ricochet and hit me in the chest.

I was shooting a wooden target about 25 yards away, when i heard what sounded like metal hitting metal. I watched the board flex a little and a glinting thing heading for me really fast. The round had flattened out completely, when i hit me it knocked the wind out of me. I think i cried a little as i was quite the wussy in those days. I do remember my dad and brother coming over in a hurry to make sure i was ok.

After that I always check what i target i am shooting, because that hurt like ****.

Two years ago I went out to Bend with some friends for a couple days of shooting. I was shooting my Mosin-Nagants, and the others had AKs and a CETME. Well, they decided to take a plink at my steel target. I was using steel cored x54 and was punching neat holes in the plate, but CETME boy ends up with a round coming back at him, hitting in the left abdomen area. Didn't penetrate him though, oh no. Went into the box of .17hmr he had in there, the head of the ricocheted bullet setting off three of the rounds in the box. He was peppered with hot brass all up his side, left arm, some shrapnel was in his neck. Nothing too bad and no hospital visit was needed.

The previous owner had extra bricks it seems and he buried them randomly on the property. It must have been some sort of weird hobby. Ask me how much fun it was to dig fence post holes!?!?!? Nothing more fun then digging and finding a brick or two you have to excavate out so that you can continue digging or better yet lawn mover blade, bucket handles, bottles, car parts. Yep the previous owner loved to bury things...

That is most commonly done to defeat LEO agencies from using ground radar to discover secret caches of...whatever. money, family jewelry, guns, drugs, family members. You name it.

That is most commonly done to defeat LEO agencies from using ground radar to discover secret caches of...whatever. money, family jewelry, guns, drugs, family members. You name it.

Well that's a scary thought... Thanks for that I guess. :s0131:

For the record so far I haven't found anything but maybe I should get to digging random large holes. :s0112:

My friend and I were testing out some steel targets we had made. Immediately after firing the first shot from my 709 at the target, I felt something hit me in he head. Turns out the casings were bouncing off a post and hitting us, but that was a pretty frightening thing at first.

A little off, but close call non the same. I was helping a buddy built cedar fences, aand was putting on a top cap to finish it. As I put the nail gun up on the top cap and fired a nail into it...OUCH! The wood split aiming the nail center mass down to my sternum. I felt it hit hard and all I could do was take a breath and drop the gun.

I lifted up my shirt, looking, looking, looking and waiting for blood! Whew...Nothing came as I saw that the nail tip hung up on my shirt when it hit at a 45, twisted downward the nail head hit my chest.

I haven't done another top cap since :s0131:

Here is my negligent discharge. Ten or so years ago I had a Glock 26 and had been cleaning it while surfing the net (distracted). Was dry firing it after I reassembled it. Loaded it but did not put it back in the pistol safe (mistake). Surf the net some more and then went back to dry firing the Glock... BANG!

Round went through a closet door and came to rest on a shelf. I seem to remember the round being a Federal 124gr Hydra Shok as that was my carry load back then. Cat dived under sofa and then wife was covering ears and saying "what happened" with me feeling like an idiot with good reason for it.

Don't get distracted when handling firearms and if you didn't just check it, its LOADED...

I kept the bullet and casing all this time as a reminder to myself. Hopefully someone else can learn from my mistake.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top