Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cleaning rod for 6 7/8" mark II pistol?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by dehamma, Nov 20, 2013.

1. dehamma

dehamma portland Member

I'm looking for a good one piece cleaning rod long enough to clean a 6 7/8" mark II .22 from the chamber end. It would need to be about 10" long. I would prefer a carbon fiber one, I've been using my rifle length rod but it's a bit unwieldy. Thanks

2. Whaler

Whaler Sequim, WA Well-Known Member

3. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of Tipton rods and have 3 of them, 2 for rifles and one for pistol. Take a look at this.

Tipton 12" 22-26 caliber rod

I find them worth every penny.

4. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

I use an old Hopps aluminum rod on my pistols. It was a three piece rod that I quite using in my rifles, however the first section with the handle works ideal for pistol barrels.

I own Tipton rods and agree with DieselScout. Very good rods. (I would avoid the 17-20 caliber rod though as it flexes too much and I'm always worried it will break while using it - certainly not an issue with a pistol of course.)

Not a fan of pull through devices other than for a quick field cleaning. You have to pull it through so many times to get a barrel really clean, and I consider it a hassle. A rod is far more efficient. If you think one pass will get a barrel clean, try it, and then see how much crud you can get out afterwards with a real cleaning with a rod, patches and a brush.

5. dehamma

dehamma portland Member

Thanks for the replies, I think the Tipton is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks

6. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

A high quality stainless rod is best. It will not pick up grit to harm your bore.
    Abrasives can embed into softer and coated rods. In time it is like running a file down the bore.

7. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

The carbon don't embed either and I am very happy with mine as is the friend who recommended them. He was however unhappy with there 17-20 caliber rod as it had too much flex. I realized after my initial post stainless was his solution and will be mine for my 17.

8. aasbra

aasbra Portland Active Member

I like the Pro Shot 12" stainless .22 cal cleaning rod for this application. I can even clean the 10" MK II with this rod, in addition to those with the shorter barrels.