JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up an old RCBS Junior press today for a good price, and would like some suggestions for cleaning and restoration, especially the cleaning part. I'd like to go over it well and get all the dirt and grease off it and prep it for repainting.

What say you??

Aluminum or plastic primer catch tray?
Wipe the entire down with xylene or mineral spirits.
The old green paint is probably more in the mint spectrum. As such, doesn't much need prep for a new coat of paint.
Test first to determine whether it's lacquer or enamel.

It's a pretty simple mechanical device. Cleaned up with paint thinner or similar, re-painting may not be necessary. Painting won't make it work any better. Pay close attention to getting the ram clean and then oiled. Also the moving pivot parts that operate the ram. You may have to use a spray cleaner to get the primer drop slot in the ram cleaned out. Spray like Brake Kleen or similar. Getting that ram cleaned and oiled can make a lot of difference in how smoothly and easily it operates. I've seen some pretty dirty single stage presses over the years, in use, and they develop some amount of friction when dry. The user doesn't notice this occurring over the years, they just get used to it. Also, a dry ram will wear more quickly than an oiled one. But don't go overboard with the oil, just use it sparingly but often.

Similar comments apply to dies. You can't use reloading dies indefinitely without taking them apart and cleaning them out. You'd be surprised how dirty they get inside.

You would be amazed at how chunky an RCBS can get and then be restored to near perfect working order! I git one from a neighbor that had a pretty rusty ram and linkages, mostly surface rust, but some pitting, a good once over with auto trans fluid and steel wool was really all it took, aside from cleaning up after ward, it was pretty strait forward! The reason for using auto trans fluid is that it works like a solvent and it will creep EVERYWHERE, helping to clean out things you didn't even know were dirty!

Disassemble, scrub painted surfaces with simple green, rinse with very hot water, blow dry, go after bare metal parts with WD40 and fine steel wool, wipe dry, lightly oil. grease pivot points and reassemble. Load some ammo, if you can find primers.:s0164:
Do not use solvents on paint without testing first.

Dillon rebuilt my 550 a couple years ago. I was helping a friend set up his new 550 and noticed
how smooth and tight it worked compared to mine. Contacted Dillon and sent my press back to them.
Completely rebuilt new bushings and painted it for free! Just like a brand new press. I bet RCBS
would do the same for your press.:rolleyes:

Aluminum or plastic primer catch tray?
Wipe the entire down with xylene or mineral spirits.
The old green paint is probably more in the mint spectrum. As such, doesn't much need prep for a new coat of paint.
Test first to determine whether it's lacquer or enamel.

You're correct, it's sort of mint green.

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I'm going to start taking it apart tomorrow!

I just picked up an old RCBS Junior press today for a good price, and would like some suggestions for cleaning and restoration, especially the cleaning part. I'd like to go over it well and get all the dirt and grease off it and prep it for repainting.

What say you??

Leave it as it is. HIgh end RCBS press collectors prefer the original press patina (gunk, rust, wear marks and other abuse) and you will only cause it's value to plummet.

Ahhhh, what am I thinking? That's Lee press collectors, but they come that way new. I say take that sucker apart and give it the works. Full resto. Make Your Press Great Again!

I like Kroil a lot for degunking mechanisms, because it penetrates really well and rapidly dissolves the dry, gooey mess you find in old machines. ATF would work well, too, but I don't like the smell. Then you can clean it all off with gun cleaner, or brake clean ( mind the paint, some brake clean will eat it) and re-lube.

So, where do I get my MYPGA hat, anyway?

FWIW, my 40 year old Rock Chucker prefers wheel bearing grease about twice a year on the main press part. As someone who worked with metal once told me, oil is for rust prevention, grease is for lubrication.

I use grease on the ram, also. Figured that's probably why it came with grease zerks that feed the ram and the handle pivots. :) ( LnL press)

I like Kroil a lot for degunking mechanisms, because it penetrates really well and rapidly dissolves the dry, gooey mess you find in old machines. ATF would work well, too, but I don't like the smell. Then you can clean it all off with gun cleaner, or brake clean ( mind the paint, some brake clean will eat it) and re-lube.

So, where do I get my MYPGA hat, anyway?
YaP it !

1606230629219.png

I rebuilt and repainted an ancient Kitchenaide mixer and I used Rustoleum's hammered green.
It came out super nice.

Edit add.. I forget which green, I think it was the above but they also have a deep green. I got it at Home Depot.

Last Edited:
Before & after shots would be nice... I've restored a lot of different things and it's always great to see things come back to life.
My boys have been amazed that old stuff & junk can be given some attention & effectively brought back to new & useful...

I bought a vintage RCBS RS press over five years ago. It was kind of dingy when I pulled it out of the box, it still had good paint so I left it as is. Knowing it would need a thorough cleaning, I took pics before getting started tearing it apart, that way I knew how it supposed to go back together. It was a fun project and find myself a bit anal about keeping all my presses "Clean" and "Lubed" so that they can reside in "The Room"...:D

looking forward to seeing the relic afterwards.;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top