JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anybody know of a relatively safe place to shoot that's in either Clark or Cowlitz County, Washington and that doesn't charge $15 or try to sell you ammunition for the privilege? By "safe" I mean with no homes nearby and no drug deals or other such activity.

larch mountain at the rock pit--take 119th street east from hockinson it is about 1 mile east of the forestry road junction where you could turn left and go to larch corrections. After april you can take the forestry road past the rock pit that is the skyline to washougal and be 300ft off the road--happy shooting

larch mountain at the rock pit--take 119th street east from hockinson it is about 1 mile east of the forestry road junction where you could turn left and go to larch corrections. After april you can take the forestry road past the rock pit that is the skyline to washougal and be 300ft off the road--happy shooting

Thanks! I'll check it out after the spring thaw.

That's a long drive from Kalama. There has to be some where closer to Kalama.

you can shoot at the rock pit year round- if you want to go above it that opens in the spring. i'm sure there are lots of places to shoot closer to Kalama- it's just where i know.

you can shoot at the rock pit year round- if you want to go above it that opens in the spring. i'm sure there are lots of places to shoot closer to Kalama- it's just where i know.

No. Not really. The town of Kalama, and its outskirts, fills up the entire hillside overlooking the Columbia River. There are some logging roads. But, those turn into mush after the rains start.

My stepson knew of a gravel pit from his four-wheeling friends out way past Longview, just over the Wahkiakum County line. We drove out that way a couple of weeks ago. We never made it to the pit. I wasn't sure I was going to get back out of that place. It's probably 10 miles back in there on gravel roads with snow.

Cowlitz County has no public shooting range that I know of.

They are all over. Just take a forest road. There are thousands of clear cuts and many other places. Wehryhouser (spelling) has millions of acres open. Just get some maps. There are places where no one is around for miles. Just best to take someone incase something happens, flat, lost, gps and maps.

Does anybody know of a relatively safe place to shoot that's in either Clark or Cowlitz County, Washington and that doesn't charge $15 or try to sell you ammunition for the privilege? By "safe" I mean with no homes nearby and no drug deals or other such activity.
I'm looking for the same thing. But as close to Ridgefield as possible. English Pit is the pits. I would rather be out in the woods with an extra box of ammo.

I use to work with a guy that always talked about shooting in Cougar. But I don't know where abouts.

I'm in Kelso, and it's difficult to find a safe place "out in the woods". Weyerhauser owns most of it, but most of it seems to be gated.

I'm in Kelso, and it's difficult to find a safe place "out in the woods". Weyerhauser owns most of it, but most of it seems to be gated.

Gates are so you can't drive. Most are open though. You can park outside the gate and walk but like I said most are open. They close all during fire season and hunting season but other than that walk. Get maps at Arnolds map service in Vancouver. You would need St. Helens Tree Farm map and cost about $8 bucks. Arnolds has every map you could possibly need of the whole state and has the whole state in quads as well. Good luck.

In Ranier oregon is a small pistol/rifle range,right by the Ranier high school.'
'aah,found the link.
<broken link removed>
VERY easy to join.the web page makes it sound fancier than it is,but it's cheap easy to get to,and seldom gets used.at least that's how I remember it from a few years ago when I lived over that way.
Clatskanie also has a range. <broken link removed>
I like shooting up in the woods,but it's hard to find land u can shoot on any more.
about 25 minures east of woodland is my home range,Wolverton Mt. You have to join,and it's kind of spendy,but they used to break the dues up into payments.and it's a neat place to shoot.just a big pasture,but with 3 covered shooting houses,wood stoves,and a pop machine Max range is about 135 yards..No website,but I have the secretaries email for contact.His name is Doug Batchelor.
email is [email protected]. Range gets little use during the week,almost nver anyone there.UP in the hills so might have snow sometimes.

Longview has a range,it's a great one,goes out several hundred yards,300 at least.you can drive to all of the rifle target stands to set targets.:)
they're in a bit of a dispute with a neighbor,so very strict on rules to keep from geting shut down..paper only,no steel or balloons or ANY thing but paper.small pistol range..very small,but it works.
<broken link removed>

hope this helps. I have pics of Lone Oak if u'd like to see them.

In Ranier oregon is a small pistol/rifle range,right by the Ranier high school.'
'aah,found the link.
<broken link removed>
VERY easy to join.the web page makes it sound fancier than it is,but it's cheap easy to get to,and seldom gets used.at least that's how I remember it from a few years ago when I lived over that way.
I like shooting up in the woods,but it's hard to find land u can shoot on any more.
about 25 minures east of woodland is my home range,Wolverton Mt. You have to join,and it's kind of spendy,but they used to break the dues up into payments.and it's a neat place to shoot.just a big pasture,but with 3 covered shooting houses,wood stoves,and a pop machine Max range is about 135 yards..No website,but I have the secretaries email for contact.His name is Doug Batchelor.
email is [email protected]. Range gets little use during the week,almost nver anyone there.UP in the hills so might have snow sometimes.

Longview has a range,it's a great one,goes out several hundred yards,300 at least.you can drive to all of the rifle target stands to set targets.:)
they're in a bit of a dispute with a neighbor,so very strict on rules to keep from geting shut down..paper only,no steel or balloons or ANY thing but paper.small pistol range..very small,but it works.
<broken link removed>

Thank you Throckmorton. This is great info. I was able to find a website for Wolverton MT. <broken link removed>

Gates are so you can't drive. Most are open though. You can park outside the gate and walk but like I said most are open. They close all during fire season and hunting season but other than that walk. Get maps at Arnolds map service in Vancouver. You would need St. Helens Tree Farm map and cost about $8 bucks. Arnolds has every map you could possibly need of the whole state and has the whole state in quads as well. Good luck.

That's funny- I live close to a bunch of these gates, and hunting season is the only time they're open!
I've got some of those maps already- just need time to go scout. Seems like I got them from Arnolds- place looks like a house if I remember.

'aah,found the link.
<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Recently joined the Rainier club, have yet to go there. I was planning on checking out lone oak, but seems hard to get in, apply at the first of the year or something like that. Pistol only?
Thanks for all the info throckmorton

Coal Creek Rd Rock Pit - East of Longview Found a decapitated horse or cow out there once so keep a loaded sidearm.
Mt. Brinyon - Up there a ways
Kalama - Catch the road that goes through to Rose Valley - We used to hunt up there.
Rose Valley Rd - Way out that small road (be careful)
Kalama - Lewis River Road

BrentN
No,not pistol only at Lone Oak,in fact it's very much geared to rifles shooting with a very small pistol rangeThe pistol range house is about big enough for 4 people,it's abouit the size of a very small bedroom,if that big.
the rifle range has concrete 2-sided shooting positions,tons of room behind for racks and such,a wood stove,and even a press mounted on a bench.Here's pics of the lone oak rifle set up................hopefully

now the bad news,my buddy is a member and he says almost no one ever quits,which is the only way they take new members.:( but heck,go to the store and get on the llist,ya never know.

Wolverton range is,as best I know,always looking for new members.they do have some organized shoots..cowboy,bowling pins,and have/had youth training.
Her's a few pics of the place.It's turnkey,just go shoot,clean up and leave.there is a daily range fee,I think it's 6.00.
I set up my steel for lead bullets,and shoot water jugs,so farily lenient that way as long as it's cleaned up and packed out by the shooters.

KevandJeffonthetrapfield.jpg

I've considered joing the range in Rainier. I think it's only $20 a year, and it has covered shooting areas. I usually go west of Longview, about halfway to Cathlamet. There's a few sections of state land. There's a decent rock pit up Mill Creek road, fairly close off the county road.

The places out in cougar are just you have to find a safe place and not tear it up and leave trash. As any good steward of the world might profess. Just take a long drive out in Cougar and have a back drop to shoot into.

Im going to check it out. Yeah other than that its Larch in Wa and Clark County Rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top