JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the wife took me out last night and bought me one of my Christmas presents early...

She finally got me a smoker.. Not one to ever let something sit idle I got it put together this morning and the results were delicious...

Scan.jpg

Scan1.jpg

Let's hear the specifics! What brand smoker? What kind of wood did you use? How did it taste? details, man, details! :s0155:

Its a Smoke Hollow No. 6 Propane Smoker, Used a mixture of Hickory and Alder over a water bath with about 1c of apple cider in with the water. Cook temp was about 250-300 depending on how inaccurate the in the door thermometer is. It cooked for about 4 1/2 hours over the smoke til it hit 170 internal then I wrapped it in foil and cooked it to 190. took it out wrapped it in about 3 towels stuck it in an old cooler I had laying around and let it rest for an hour while I made the stuffing and corn.

The smoke flavor on it was fabulous but it kind of battled with my rub. I think I'm gonna have to tweak the rub its great on ribs and chicken but not so much on beef. It was fork tender with a good crunchy bark on it. Was a tad on the dry side but I think that has more to do with the fact that it was a lower cut of meat (WinCo) than I usually buy.

This was a trial run for Christmas dinner gonna be 40-50 pounds of prime rib a full brisket and either a pork loin or ham (haven't decided yet)

Gunner, buddy, pal i haven't met, yet! you're not gonna leave me out in the cold are ya? ;)

I plan on doing a get together at some point for some of my not so closest friends and neighbors this summer... Details will follow.. Christmas is packed with almost 40 friends and co workers coming over throughout the day it's gonna be a mad house...

Wait I think I need to go buy a BBQ gun since all I have is my OD XD45 right now

Its a Smoke Hollow No. 6 Propane Smoker, Used a mixture of Hickory and Alder over a water bath with about 1c of apple cider in with the water. Cook temp was about 250-300 depending on how inaccurate the in the door thermometer is. It cooked for about 4 1/2 hours over the smoke til it hit 170 internal then I wrapped it in foil and cooked it to 190. took it out wrapped it in about 3 towels stuck it in an old cooler I had laying around and let it rest for an hour while I made the stuffing and corn.

The smoke flavor on it was fabulous but it kind of battled with my rub. I think I'm gonna have to tweak the rub its great on ribs and chicken but not so much on beef. It was fork tender with a good crunchy bark on it. Was a tad on the dry side but I think that has more to do with the fact that it was a lower cut of meat (WinCo) than I usually buy.

This was a trial run for Christmas dinner gonna be 40-50 pounds of prime rib a full brisket and either a pork loin or ham (haven't decided yet)

Try only going to an internal of 155deg at smoke and let go for one additional hour. That is all you need to adaquately kill the bugs it may have on or in it. Too long at too high temp is why it was dry.

So smoke number to was today started with a nice 3lb tri-tip with a peppered bacon salt and smoked paprika rub.. cooked about 4 hours still trying to figure out what my true temp is insdie the smoker.. I ran a Thermocouple through the door to my Fluke scope will have to pull it over the weekend and see what it actually was runing throughout the entire smoke...

Tri-Tip2.jpg

It was so tender that I couldn't even slice it so I shredded it stirred in some of the drippings and had shredded tri-tip sliders for dinner

Tri-Tip3.jpg

Well had a few hours extra to kill in-between shopping and wrapping so I decided to fire these bad boys up....
Ribs1.jpg
Now thats alota pig...

Ribs2.jpg
Fresh out of the smoker for a little rest.

Ribs4.jpg
Dinner Time!!!!!!!

Ribs3.jpg
Some chicken that I smoked up for the wife...

Conditions this morning are actually fairly favorable.. 35F and calm supposed to get a little gusty this morning but no rain or snow in the forecast...

While the smoker warms up here are the point and flat getting another dusitng of rub and coming up to temp ready to go in...

Scan2.jpg

Scan3.jpg

Totally forgot the injection... apple cider, worshister, and some good old fashioned Capt. Morgans spiced.. shot for the beast and a shot for the cook.

So here are the PR fresh from the fridge getting ready to add a bit of Ksalt and some pepper...

Scan4.jpg
The Cajun

Scan5.jpg
The Herb crusted

Scan6.jpg
Up tp room temp and in the smoker they go right on track with the 9am time I had planned..

Scan7.jpg
The Brisket and the Point just as they hit the stall and I started basting them.

8 hours in and we are still stalled I bumped the temp up to 245 because I was getitng nervous about the PR being done by 4
Scan8.jpg

Scan9.jpg

All the smokey goodness with 3 hours to go.

Well dinner is over...Company is gone and I'm sitting here nursing a full belly and a hot buttered rum heavy on the rum

It came down to the wire with getting everything done the Primes were done and had a chance to get a full 1hr rest in... The herb rubbed came out Med Well right where I wanted it I pulled it at 145.. The Cajun got pulled at he same time at about 135 and was a perfect Med. I way underestimated the Flat and Point... The Flat was very tender but could have used another hour in the cooler but company started showing up and they were hungry... The point which was originally supposed to be pulled and used for tacos didn't turn out it wasplenty tender but I didn't get it up to 200 so it ended up getting sliced up and will go into stews and chilli as most of the connective tissue is still very present...

Sorry I didnt get any finished pics, I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off form about 3 til about 5:30....

Nobody left hungry and during the meal time there was very little if any conversation... Just alot of contented sighs and compliments going around so while I may be a little too self critical as I really wasnt happy with some of the end product the guests were though so I guess that's all that really matters.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top