JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last year I went elk hunting for the first time and had an absolute blast. Learned a ton, feel in love with the hunt, spent a bunch of money prepping for 2019. Ha!

The guys I hunted elk with don't deer hunt, however I would like to begin rifle deer hunting and would love to incorporate my kids as well as the time comes. My first elk hunt was a general season tag, but I'd like to try to draw a controlled tag for deer toward eastern Oregon. however after hours of reading, research and talking to people I'm more confused than ever on how to go about doing that considering I have 0 preference points, and the draw system doesn't favor my kind. I'd like to get to a unit with enough public land, and lean toward eastern for its more wide open glassing opportunities.

If you are reading this and have any advice for someone like myself what would it be? I'm obviously not asking for your trade secrets regarding amazing hunting spots or units, but more regarding technique of putting in. I'd ideally love to get a point AND draw for a controlled unit as a 2nd. And, I understand the easy answer is "join someone who knows what they'd are doing and hunt with them". Unfortunately that simply isn't an option for me. Thanks!

Are there areas of eastern Oregon that you are more familiar with? Some controlled hunt areas will take time to build up points to hunt there. So you might have to do general season this year. But answer the first question for me lol

To be honest I am not familiar with much of Eastern Oregon from a hunting perspective, outside of family vacations to Bend and Sisters. I have spent most of my time in the Western portions of the state. I grew up in Eastern Washington as a kid and so I am somewhat familiar with the type of terrain. Maybe my thinking is wrong on this, but my desire to head east is mostly to get away from the masses as well as hunt some area and terrain that is easier to maneuver and glass larger areas. Hiking through deep woods and blowdowns with kids in tow gets tough.

Ok well bend does have hunting areas all around it just need to look at a state unit map and see what available then see how many tags are offered there and what the ratio is for other people applying for them. And just cause its east doesn't mean it's less people. I dont take shots over 200 yard unless I dont see a hunter all day. Some days I'll walk 100 yards and see 3 hunters. If you want PM me and maybe i can get with you to make a decision where is good.

Aaaarg, Bend is Central Oregon... :p:p:p

I've not hunted deer in a long time, so I won't be able to say anything about populations. But some areas feature a bit of open country, which it seems is what you are looking for.

I've hunted east of Chemult... all of those units have mixed forests with relatively level ground where you can find openings.

The Heppner unit is popular.

The SE units offer very open ground where longer shots are typical. But, there are also open areas around Baker City that have deer populations.

I would avoid Mt. Emily, Catherine Creek, Chesnimnus, unless you want to get out and climb hills. There are deer, but lots of hills.

Starkey and Ukiah both have mixed forest. But hunting pressure is high, and deer seem to disappear into thicker cover during the season.

Here's a weird trick for you... Build a fire, make some noise... deer are reassured when forest activities appear normal. Of course, that won't work if you are driving around glassing hills or taking long walks. I like to sit, and let other hunters push the game, so it works for me. YMMV

:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top