JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
NW Crew,
Is there an active thread here that discusses up-to-date information about local city locations where CHL/CCW is acceptable? I attended the Portland International Auto Show last weekend at the Oregon Convention Center (cool show, BTW) and it was unclear whether CHL/CCW was acceptable. The online FAQs indicated that backpacks and bags would be searched, and so I left my carry in the car to avoid any issues -- but I wasn't happy about it. In hindsight, I could've easily carried without concern.

Similarly, every time I take our kid to OMSI, I wonder whether they have a 'no firearms' sign at the door. I've even checked Google Street View pics to try and find out. I'd love to see a forum here where like-minded friends share information about whether public spaces such as the Expo Center, Oregon Convention Center, OMSI, Keller Auditorium, Schnitzer Hall, Portland Art Museum and similar public spaces have posted 'no-carry' signs or not. Yes, I understand the concept of don't-ask-don't tell; I get it. But, it'd still be nice to know which locations are likely to trespass you or not, and which are checking at the door or have metal detectors. And, many of our peers would prefer to patronize businesses -- or not -- based on whether they do or do not support our pro-2A POV.

Please let me know if there is an existing thread where we can share up-to-the-minute information, and if not maybe we can share that kind of information here. Thanks a bunch.
Cheers,
GolfWriterGuy

firearm-signs---industrial-y4321963-81620-l6959-lg.jpg

If it's not .gov property, carry anyway. Worst they can do is ask you to leave. It's not the TSA or secret service searching you

NW Crew,
Is there an active thread here that discusses up-to-date information about local city locations where CHL/CCW is acceptable? I attended the Portland International Auto Show last weekend at the Oregon Convention Center (cool show, BTW) and it was unclear whether CHL/CCW was acceptable. The online FAQs indicated that backpacks and bags would be searched, and so I left my carry in the car to avoid any issues -- but I wasn't happy about it. In hindsight, I could've easily carried without concern.

Similarly, every time I take our kid to OMSI, I wonder whether they have a 'no firearms' sign at the door. I've even checked Google Street View pics to try and find out. I'd love to see a forum here where like-minded friends share information about whether public spaces such as the Expo Center, Oregon Convention Center, OMSI, Keller Auditorium, Schnitzer Hall, Portland Art Museum and similar public spaces have posted 'no-carry' signs or not. Yes, I understand the concept of don't-ask-don't tell; I get it. But, it'd still be nice to know which locations are likely to trespass you or not, and which are checking at the door or have metal detectors. And, many of our peers would prefer to patronize businesses -- or not -- based on whether they do or do not support our pro-2A POV.

Please let me know if there is an existing thread where we can share up-to-the-minute information, and if not maybe we can share that kind of information here. Thanks a bunch.
Cheers,
GolfWriterGuy

View attachment 1361062
If there's not metal detectors or wanding, I'm carrying. With regards to the auto show, last time I attended, there were no metal detectors and I carried.

Concealed means concealed…

Looks like the sign is indicating no Beretta 92's allowed…. :eek:

If it's not .gov property, carry anyway. Worst they can do is ask you to leave. It's not the TSA or secret service searching you
^This^

Airports, courts, etc where you can get arrested are no go for carrying. Other than that you have to weigh the risk (which is about zero if you carry deep) of being caught carrying in some place the idiots say you can't vs the benefit of being able to protect you and yours and potentially being able to stop a mass shooter. It's a no brainer to anyone that doesn't blindly follow the edicts of the nanny state (ie willingly do the bidding of idiots like Kate brown, Kotex etc).

Last time I got legal advice I was told this - There might be a sign at the entrance that says no firearms, but then there is usually a lot of signage when I enter a business. The way I understand the law is that it has to be proven that you read the sign - that can only be done if you sign a statement acknowledging you read the sign, before entering. If I read every sign around me, I would constantly be bumping into walls & such.

Not Legal Advice. Do your own DD.

Last time I got legal advice I was told this - There might be a sign at the entrance that says no firearms, but then there is usually a lot of signage when I enter a business. The way I understand the law is that it has to be proven that you read the sign - that can only be done if you sign a statement acknowledging you read the sign, before entering. If I read every sign around me, I would constantly be bumping into walls & such.

2481A66E-F005-4817-BFB3-7C9E91D26E98.png

Also keep in mind that those who intend to do harm to innocents will not be deterred by signs saying no guns allowed. On the contrary they seek out those sites because it is unlikely they will have armed resistance. Furthermore the number of armed citizens in such places will be reduced due to the number of people who willingly give up their god given right of self defense for the sake of idiot politicians who promote "gun free zones". So it's more important than ever to have someone there that can stand up to armed murderers.

Case in point was the recent mall shooting in Indiana where a good guy took out a mass murderer in seconds. That was a gun free zone. Some articles even criticized the Good Samaritan because he broke the rules of the mall which shows you just how idiotic the anti-gunners are.

Last Edited:

You can bolster your argument that you didn't read the sign if you went to public school, because you can claim that you didn't learn to read properly (even if you did) and say you identify as an unarmed Brony.

No jury on this planet would convict you.

Not a lawyer, but here in Texas it is your responsibility to read the signs and know what they infer. You can carry inside but they can ask you to leave. At that point it becomes trespassing if you refuse to leave. But why would you even want to give such a business your dollars? Go somewhere that appreciates you. But at the end of the day the law will say that ignorance is no excuse.

Carry responsibly, carry carefully...but carry every day. We are not the criminals

My understanding is that the signs hold no water, but if a private property owner/business asks you to leave, you leave. If you don't leave, trespassing with a firearm is at least a Class-A misdemeanor, which is a loss of license. Trust but verify.

NW Crew,

Cheers,
GolfWriterGuy

View attachment 1361062
You're in luck. There are several bills right now that specifically talk about carying in ANY public building, the grounds adjacent to those buildings, and the homes and areas around any judge or government official.

HB2007 https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2023R1/Measures/Overview/HB2007 currently in House Judiciary
SB551 https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2023R1/Measures/Overview/SB551 currently in Senate Education
SB696 https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2023R1/Measures/Overview/SB686 Currently in Senate Judiciary

The way things are starting out with lack of interest by gun owners, all three should easily pass. You won't need a map since just about everywhere you go, concealed carry will be prohibited by any building owner that wants to do so. The sidewalks and streets around any government building such as schools and parks can also be declared gun free zones, regardless of having a concealed carry permit. See, no permit needed, you'll be a criminal with or without one.

My understanding is that the signs hold no water, but if a private property owner/business asks you to leave, you leave. If you don't leave, trespassing with a firearm is at least a Class-A misdemeanor, which is a loss of license. Trust but verify.
You are correct in that generic signs posted by a business (crayon or spray painted etc) are not enforceable as is. And they have the right to serve/not serve anyone.

Here the official state issued signs you ignore at your own risk

Concealed is concealed. If you're doing it correctly…

No metal detector. No problem. Worst thing to happen is you get asked to leave.

You can bolster your argument that you didn't read the sign if you went to public school, because you can claim that you didn't learn to read properly (even if you did) and say you identify as an unarmed Brony.

No jury on this planet would convict you.
Reading, writing, and arithmetic are racist and the standards have been pulled from schools.

Blame the government you can't read.

Personally if it's not drawn with a crayon it doesn't even get a second of my attention.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top