JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From what I learned in my recent CHL class, Oregon is somewhat unique as it has no statute forbidding the concealment of a long gun. So technically, though a CHL is only good for handguns, concealing a rifle or shotgun is already because there is no law against it. I suppose there is no law because concealing a long gun is impractical, for the most part. From what I've been told, you should be good to go.

From what I learned in my recent CHL class, Oregon is somewhat unique as it has no statute forbidding the concealment of a long gun. So technically, though a CHL is only good for handguns, concealing a rifle or shotgun is already because there is no law against it. I suppose there is no law because concealing a long gun is impractical, for the most part. From what I've been told, you should be good to go.
Bad advice. It is illegal to conceal ANY firearm EXCEPT handguns for CHL holders (Or anyone under ORS166.260). Look §166.250(1)(a). THAT'S that statue making illegal to conceal a long gun on your person.

ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes

I'd go with that. As I said "what I've been told," not that I searched it myself yet, as this hasn't been an issue for my situation.
I meant you were given bad advice, sorry for the confusion. I sat in on a CHL class with my mom and the guy kept talking about pepper spray, stun guns, and shotguns for home defense.

I meant you were given bad advice, sorry for the confusion. I sat in on a CHL class with my mom and the guy kept talking about pepper spray, stun guns, and shotguns for home defense.

Yeah, I don't think I heard anything wrong, as I didn't get through so much school by conflating pieces of information. I wonder if it was another state and it was just phrased in a way that lost me, but at least for the sake of just Oregon we have it cleared-up.

So your saying walking around with a rifle in a get home back isn't the greatest idea?

Hmm....

Interesting since I was under the belief with a Oregon carry permit I could pass through Portland (PDX) with loaded AR mags on my way to the English Pit. Without a permit, loaded mags in the city were prohibited. I'm at work now but will have to take another look tonight.

The law seems pretty clear to me:

A CHL allows a person to conceal any legal loaded firearm they can carry. (Handguns, rifles, shotguns)
A CHL allows a person to transport loaded handguns in their car.

Otherwise, these are prohibited. (For non-CHL persons)

The law seems pretty clear to me:

A CHL allows a person to conceal any legal loaded firearm they can carry. (Handguns, rifles, shotguns)
A CHL allows a person to transport loaded handguns in their car.

Otherwise, these are prohibited. (For non-CHL persons)
Not true. ORS 166.260 - Persons not affected by ORS 166.250 - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes
ORS166.260(1)(i) specifically says the exception for CHL holders is in the concealment of handguns. You can NOT legally carry a concealed rifle, or shotgun. Having a cased rifle in the back of your car isn't considered concealed unless it's loaded. Having loaded mags in the same case while claiming to be heading to the range would still be iffy. You want to be made example of by our unelected governor? Go right ahead, but the "clarity" of the law to you is not what the law says.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top