JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
hypothetically, say a person moved and forgot to update their CHL address... for two years... for whatever reason... should that person call the county sheriff office and just renew it or pay for the address change even though this persons CHL expires in august? This person has presented their ODL and CHL to multiple LEOS during traffic stops and never had a problem but knows a CHL could be revoked if the address doesnt match.

What say you NWFA?

Well, if the CHL doesn't match the DL I don't think it's valid. How close is said persons renewal date? August? I'd say have the person call the local sheriff and see if they can get an early renewal with the new address on it. If not and the address matches the DL I'd wait till August....Hypothetically...

Last Edited:
Hypothetically?

Well, according to the ORS:

ORS 166.295(C)(2) requires that the "licensee shall report the change of address and the sheriff shall issue a new license as a duplication for a change of address. The license shall expire upon the same date as would the original." Failure to do so may result in revocation of your License. The cost is $15.

Hypothetically, I would contact your local county Sheriff's office as soon as possible, so they can get the hypothetical slacker :rolleyes: up to date....;)

thanks for the hypothetical response!!

hypothetically, if i knew this person i would eventually get around to letting this person know what they should do.

What is the potential bad outcome. Get attention of LEO and be caught carrying concealed.
In the states of OR / WA what do you think the DA is prone to do?

Teach said gun fanatic a lesson!

thanks for the hypothetical response!!

hypothetically, if i knew this person i would eventually get around to letting this person know what they should do.
I know a guy who's been hypothetically slacking on a move as well.. From a different county. He/She should probably get on that.
Why put off until tomorrow what you could put off until the day AFTER tomorrow?

Did this person in this hypothetical have any issues when they updated address?? I may or may not know someone in the same boat.. two years with old address on chl...

I forgot to update mine for over a year and had no issues doing so. Just filled out the application and mailed it in, a week later I got my new one. This was in Multnomah County.

I bought a house in Washington County and am trying to transfer my CHL to my updated address. I notified the Sheriffs office right away to schedule an appt for the transfer. They were booked out 2 months, and the day before my appt to have transfer completed, I got an email stating it was canceled due to Covid closures. The transfer form has been submitted online, but my drivers license and CHL addresses don't match and there is no immediate date to have my CHL updated. So my CHL is technically invalid at this point, correct?

Not sure about Washington county but in Marion county you simply fill out an application online for change of address and mail it in. I don't believe having an incorrect address makes your chl invalid but best way to found out is to call the local sheriffs office to confirm.

I'll call this morning. If you are changing an address from within the same county, you typically just mail in new address or fill out online. But I am transferring from another county to Washington, so I have to be issued a new CHL.

I bought a house in Washington County and am trying to transfer my CHL to my updated address. I notified the Sheriffs office right away to schedule an appt for the transfer. They were booked out 2 months, and the day before my appt to have transfer completed, I got an email stating it was canceled due to Covid closures. The transfer form has been submitted online, but my drivers license and CHL addresses don't match and there is no immediate date to have my CHL updated. So my CHL is technically invalid at this point, correct?

No idea.

You would have to confirm with your Sherriff, or an attorney.

I would just print out copies of correspondences and keep said handy to show that you have attempted to comply, however could not complete said due to a state of emergency.

Good faith.

Rather have to prove a good faith attempt to transfer CHL. Than NOT CARRY and have had needed to defend yourself or a loved one, and not been able to.

Washington county, Oregon? Or the state of Washington? If it's just another county in Oregon you shouldn't need to get a whole new chl. You should just be able to update address with new county. If you moved out of state then obviously you would need a new chl

Washington county, Oregon? Or the state of Washington? If it's just another county in Oregon you shouldn't need to get a whole new chl. You should just be able to update address with new county. If you moved out of state then obviously you would need a new chl

Correct, Washington County, Oregon. Moved from Clackamas County.

Jeff,
I wish it were that easy. Marion and Washington counties are from my experience pretty easy. I made my Multnomah county appointment to change my address (moved from Marion) in early August. Appointment was Oct 30. They said I would have my license in 45 days.
I called on day 50-ish and they said it would easily be another 30-45 days.
I am currently sitting at 82 days and waiting patiently.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top