JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my girlfriends brother is going thru this kinda thing now where he just had a baby with his now ex. And she quits her job and files for state assistance, and wants him to have to pay too. I wont get too much into all that tho...

Basicly what he wants is to be able to see his kid without her approval or just when its convinent for her. thats the way she is now. She wont agree to a parenting plan, other than you can have him when i have to go to work...

How does it work going to court and trying to get joint custody ? Anyone been thru it and know the court costs? Do you need a lawyer ? He just dosnt want to only get to see his kid every other weekend and have to pay out the butt for the next eighteen years... and shes just not cooperating.

Good luck to him. He doesn't have the choice of "joint custody" in Oregon if mom doesn't agree.
Was custody discussed in the divorce proceedings? Was there a divorce?

When I divorced, (in Oregon) joint custody was only allowed if both parents agreed to it.
And child support (if ordered by the judge) must be paid regardless of visitation ruling(s)/rights.
If CS is ordered, it can be held from his paycheck(s) before he even sees it. If he is behind and has an adequate bank balance they (DOJ/AFS) will raid his bank account and TAKE IT!

there was no divorce, they just dated for a breif time and next thing ya know shes having his baby...

hes not apposed to supporting his kid, he just mainly donst want to get screwed out of visitaion.

Tell him to get an attorney, if he is the father and there is NO custody agreement in place they each have equal rights/access to the child.

The child in not just hers, he has every right see the child whenever he wants to, while she may make it difficult, it is still his child. He can also in turn make if difficult for her to see the child if the child is in his custody. (if he want to play games like that)

Also tell him to go buy a notebook and keep track of everything she does to prevent him from seeing the child. (times, dates, reason, etc)

Also tell him to go buy a notebook and keep track of everything she does to prevent him from seeing the child. (times, dates, reason, etc)

+1

He should document everything.

And he shouldn't threaten legal action, just find a lawyer to advise him and quietly get ready to take it if needed. He should make sure his requests are always fair and reasonable, and his demeanor calm and respectful.

Lawyer up and quick.

As stated ....document everything!!

Being male in American Family Court really means there is about a 90 percent chance you have already lost.

Start getting educated on Father's Rights and Family Court........it aint prett

If there is anyway to work out an amicable agreement in writing without going into court then take it.

Washington County is tuffer than the other Counties. I can share my son's experience and tell you about a law firm not to go to. Yup they do have equal rights as far as parenting goes. I would think a paternity test would be first. She might have moved out
because she wants to spend more time with the real father.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top