JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
dug out of the attic.....

P1040726.JPG P1040727.JPG P1040728.JPG P1040729.JPG

Any one here old enough to have fished with these? :)

Man, I've had this stuff stashed in the attic of the garage for 18 years. I'm not even sure where all of it came from. The first two pics are of my Dad's tackle box. He gave me the box, probably 25 years ago. I never really went through it. I know I fished out of it with him when I was in my early mid teens. We spent time at Lake Powell, Hite Crossing and Bullfrog Basin. We fished in Yellow Stone Park, Madison river, Ruby, Beaver Head, Clark Canyon Res. and Henry's Lake. The Red Rock River and many small streams in Western Montana/Wyoming, and Idaho. Dad quite smoking before I was born 7/1955 but when we camped/fished he'd roll one after dinner every night and smoke while we sat near the camp fire before bed. There's a yellow Daredevle spoon with black spots that I caught 18"- 20" Yellowstone cutthroat trout with on the Yellow Stone River. You got to keep them back then, and they were delicious! We always had a can of spam on those trips too. If we didn't catch dinner, well, spam it was. There was always a big pan of fried potatoes and onions/w crookneck squash thrown at the right time, to go with either one.

@Caveman Jim ? You know anything of those salmon lures? I'm not sure If i got those from dad or not?

Last Edited:
That looks like the stuff I grew up fishing with, and I'm not old yet! ;)
I especially like the topwater baits, I'd hang them up for sure!

I see some "J" plugs.
That's a lure that you don't see much these days.

Lotsa stuff works.
I like looking at the old time stuff.
And a lot of it is timeless.
I hooked my first steelhead on a single egg in the Collowash in 1975.
I lost it after a long fight on trout gear.

This stuff is all going in a garage sale in the last half of August. I've got to get rid of it all. I've got too much stuff and we're looking to move by this time next year. If anyone has any interest I'll post when it's going to happen so any of you "collectors" will know about it. I could just go the easy route and give it all to Good Will, but I'd rather it go to someone that could appreciate it.....
More...

P1040732.JPG

P1040730.JPG

I see some "J" plugs.
That's a lure that you don't see much these days.

Lotsa stuff works.
I like looking at the old time stuff.
And a lot of it is timeless.
I hooked my first steelhead on a single egg in the Collowash in 1975.
I lost it after a long fight on trout gear.

I caught a bunch of summer steelhead in the Clack in the late 80s, but I always fished below Three Lynx and above Lazy Bend. All black Blue Fox # 3 and 4 in the bubbly moving water at the head of slow water. Like most of the REAL anadramous fisheries in Oregon, they had to stop it. :mad:

Funny enough, I cut my teeth fly fishing on the clack near fish creek, shellrock, on the oak grove fork, and collowash. Little Spokane too.
I might take some of those for a display, but there is also that guy from silverton who posts on here (he might pay the most).

I was born in '51 and started fishing when I was 7. That is quite a collection of older fishing gear. The salmon plugs were generically called Lucky Louies when I was growing up. You have bunch of hand made spinners. Also a bunch of oakies, corkies and spin-n-glows I used to tie my own herring and egg rigs, oakie, spin-n-glow and later corkie rigs and and make some of my own spinners. My dad got hand cast lead weights from a friend so I was set there also. You have quite a nice collection of gear so I am sure someone here might want it. Me, I quit fishing over 30 years ago after fishing for 30 years and in the early 2000's sold all my fishing gear on Ebay for what I thought were insane prices. I had over 25 reels for starters.

Yeah @DirectDrive called it, J plugs for the salt, probably used with that meat rod set up.
I also see some cherry bombs, oakies and golf tee spinners in the mix.
I do recognize the space-age to spin-n-glows also.
If you notice any treble hooks that have one hook cut off I believe that is the 60s and 70's era Wa river regulations.
My box has a bunch of old steelhead gear in it.
CF713451-A0EA-406F-BC44-9996917CCC4D.jpeg

7657F864-DEA8-49CD-93A8-AEDDFD16D2A2.jpeg

Funny enough, I cut my teeth fly fishing on the clack near fish creek, shellrock, on the oak grove fork, and collowash. Little Spokane too.
I might take some of those for a display, but there is also that guy from silverton who posts on here (he might pay the most).

The biggest Clack summer I ever hooked was at the top of the run above the Fish Creek bridge. Almost had it to the hand. There was some line in the water that my fish got tangled in. It was deep and I was inches from going in and at the top of my hip waders. The fish, upper teens I would say, was a couple feet from my hands and tired. The line broke.

I was born in '51 and started fishing when I was 7. That is quite a collection of older fishing gear. The salmon plugs were generically called Lucky Louies when I was growing up. You have bunch of hand made spinners. Also a bunch of oakies, corkies and spin-n-glows I used to tie my own herring and egg rigs, oakie, spin-n-glow and later corkie rigs and and make some of my own spinners. My dad got hand cast lead weights from a friend so I was set there also. You have quite a nice collection of gear so I am sure someone here might want it. Me, I quit fishing over 30 years ago after fishing for 30 years and in the early 2000's sold all my fishing gear on Ebay for what I thought were insane prices. I had over 25 reels for starters.

The big yellowish, 7" plug, says Martin on it. The others have nothing on them that I can see. Oakies, corkies, goeybob's, and some I probably can't think of. Yeah.

Some of those spinners look pro made. The twists in the wire are tight and flawless on some of them. The spinners with the wing things have a name on the blades.

Quitting fish is too depressing to think about. Saying screw Oregon and their mismanagement of anadromous fish runs, not as hard. I'll be moving to a place in Oregon with many waters. Maybe I'll go back to simpler times fishing for smaller fish in smaller waters. I remember fishing in an irrigation ditch in front of our house when i was about six. I don't remember for sure if I caught something? I seem to think I did. The ditch was fed by a canal that sometimes had catfish in it.

When I was old enough I'd jump on my Honda 90 with a fishing rod, some worms from the garden and my Boy Scout mess kit with a pat of butter in the pan. I'd head up big Cottonwood Canyon, this is on the Wasatch Front in The Salt Lake Valley. Catch a couple small trout, cook 'em up over a twig fire and spent the rest of the day running on dirt roads.

Fishing has been a big part of my life. I think getting into the Salmon/Steelhead may have warped me. there's a lot of selfish dicks out there.

Cherry Bomb and Tee Spoon.
Tee Spoon because "beads" were in the shape of a golf tee.
Those two were going out of style when I came on board.

I've got a bunch of tea spoons from when I fished the Oyster House on Tillamook Bay. Back when 30# fish weren't uncommon.....And every year there were several 40# fish taken.

The biggest Clack summer I ever hooked was at the top of the run above the Fish Creek bridge. Almost had it to the hand. There was some line in the water that my fish got tangled in. It was deep and I was inches from going in and at the top of my hip waders. The fish, upper teens I would say, was a couple feet from my hands and tired. The line broke.

The big yellowish, 7" plug, says Martin on it. The others have nothing on them that I can see. Oakies, corkies, goeybob's, and some I probably can't think of. Yeah.

Some of those spinners look pro made. The twists in the wire are tight and flawless on some of them. The spinners with the wing things have a name on the blades.

Quitting fish is too depressing to think about. Saying screw Oregon and their mismanagement of anadromous fish runs, not as hard. I'll be moving to a place in Oregon with many waters. Maybe I'll go back to simpler times fishing for smaller fish in smaller waters. I remember fishing in an irrigation ditch in front of our house when i was about six. I don't remember for sure if I caught something? I seem to think I did. The ditch was fed by a canal that sometimes had catfish in it.

When I was old enough I'd jump on my Honda 90 with a fishing rod, some worms from the garden and my Boy Scout mess kit with a pat of butter in the pan. I'd head up big Cottonwood Canyon, this is on the Wasatch Front in The Salt Lake Valley. Catch a couple small trout, cook 'em up over a twig fire and spent the rest of the day running on dirt roads.

Fishing has been a big part of my life. I think getting into the Salmon/Steelhead may have warped me. there's a lot of selfish dicks out there.
Mike, you brought a tear to my eye tonight. I remember in the 60's fishing the McKenzie River. Nobody around, and I mean nobody. We would hike our way up, and fish our way back down. At the end of the trail, we would cook our fish with maple leaves on an open fire. Taters wrapped in tinfoil in the coals. Life was good. I remember learning to fly fish on the McKenzie, spent most of my fishing time in the trees. Damn fly rods! Since those days my wife and kids,and grandkids have fished the upper Deschutes, and various lakes. Many monster browns,and lake trout landed. Thanks, for the reminder of better times!

Man, lots of good stuff in there, Most still works as good today as it ever did!
I had the same thing when Grand Dad passed, I got all his fishing gear, and it was literally a pickup bed load! I was amazed at how much tackle he had accumulated over his life time, he would never get rid of any fishing gear, even if it only caught fishermen and not fish, he kept it with the thinking that if he changed something about it, it might just be "That One, That Day" and he would some times have that Rod on Fire when no one else caught so much as a buzz! Almost broke my heart to split it all up among all us grand kids, but at least we all got a killer stash of good old gear! I still use the rods and reels and as much of that tackle as I can, plus I don't have to buy gear, so it's all good!

You got a killer stash there, some one would be awfully happy to score that off ya at a good price! :s0090:

Yeah @DirectDrive called it, J plugs for the salt, probably used with that meat rod set up.
I also see some cherry bombs, oakies and golf tee spinners in the mix.
I do recognize the space-age to spin-n-glows also.
If you notice any treble hooks that have one hook cut off I believe that is the 60s and 70's era Wa river regulations.
My box has a bunch of old steelhead gear in it.
View attachment 603179

View attachment 603183

Those hooks aren't cut off Jim. They're one piece of wire. There's a hootie( for lack of a better term) that the hook snaps into under the plug. When a fish is hooked the hook pops out of the "Hootie" and the lure slides on the line through the hole in the lure.

Mike, you brought a tear to my eye tonight. I remember in the 60's fishing the McKenzie River. Nobody around, and I mean nobody. We would hike our way up, and fish our way back down. At the end of the trail, we would cook our fish with maple leaves on an open fire. Taters wrapped in tinfoil in the coals. Life was good. I remember learning to fly fish on the McKenzie, spent most of my fishing time in the trees. Damn fly rods! Since those days my wife and kids,and grandkids have fished the upper Deschutes, and various lakes. Many monster browns,and lake trout landed. Thanks, for the reminder of better times!

Man, if your kids/grand kids, are still fishing the upper Deschutes, and anywhere else, then your work is done. It's pathetic watching a couple of generations growing up in the city never realizing the simple pleasure of what excitement lies in a small stream, an irrigation ditch, or an empty lot of tall weeds. When I get out of the heart of the city, into some open areas, I wonder if the kids roam the open ares, exploring, having a secret spot to sit with a friend or two on a hot summer day, turning over rocks in a small creek, like we did?

Mike, sorry for the thread drift. GLWS.

No problem. I look at this site like a bunch of people at a gathering. Topics change. It's how it works, and that's part of what makes this a better than good site.

I once bought an old 14' fishing boat just for the three tackle boxes of vintage salmon lures. The lures were worth more to me then the boat.
The old blue P14 boat was well know to the Oregon City Springer fishing crowd up near the I-205 bridge and one spring morning a Clackamas County Sheriff running the river patrol boat was cruising by when he got on the speaker horn and called me out of the hog line.
He asked me why I was fishing out of old Bob Fitzgerald's boat. I told him he had passed away and I had bought the boat from his widow.
The next question from him was what happened to all the fishing lures he always kept in the boat, I told him they were with me and I was going through them sorting them out. He then asked me if I had a certain lure on board and after a quick search I handed over a couple to him.
He told me that he had tried for years to get old Bob to sell or trade them to him, as they were his Dads favorite back in the day.

I once bought an old 14' fishing boat just for the three tackle boxes of vintage salmon lures. The lures were worth more to me then the boat.
The old blue P14 boat was well know to the Oregon City Springer fishing crowd up near the I-205 bridge and one spring morning a Clackamas County Sheriff running the river patrol boat was cruising by when he got on the speaker horn and called me out of the hog line.
He asked me why I was fishing out of old Bob Fitzgerald's boat. I told him he had passed away and I had bought the boat from his widow.
The next question from him was what happened to all the fishing lures he always kept in the boat, I told him they were with me and I was going through them sorting them out. He then asked me if I had a certain lure on board and after a quick search I handed over a couple to him.
He told me that he had tried for years to get old Bob to sell or trade them to him, as they were his Dads favorite back in the day.

Oh! That is too cool. I never fished the Lake Line, or above, or below really. I did fish a few times above the Lake Line when the Willamette was dirty and they'd move in there. There were some real turds that fished that line.

You might know if it's true Jeff. The story of the Sate Cops watching down from the sea wall. They radio to a stater boat that the guy in the silver boat with a red hat "infracted". So they ticket him. As the story goes, couple of days later every one in that upper line showed up with red hats. Or yellow or what ever.

I learned springers under The Sellwood Bridge. The Chief, a guy in a boat named "R-U-gettin' any two" (I heard he sunk R-U-gettin' any?) and "Marijuana Bob", always had a cloud of smoke behind him, and it wasn't just 2-stroke oil.:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads