JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I realize the word cheap and spotting scope do not go together. But really I am looking for is something that will allow me to see bullet holes in targets at 200 yards or less. This is really just for improving my skills. I am pretty confident up to about 100 yards but have never gone beyond because I get frustrated that I can not see if I even hit the paper without walking halfway down to the target.

I went on google and found a couple of recommendations for this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010FAUJ4...olid=2MR6SGBVEY5AJ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Based on the reviews it seems it would do that I am looking for.

Just wanted to post on here and see if I could get any other recommendations.

Also I see the make mounts or also have models where you can attach a smart phone to the eye piece and it looks like you just activate your camera app and then use the screen rather than the eye piece. This would also allow you to take pictures or video of the targets as well. I am not sure if that's worth the added cost or not. Seems nice but then again it could just be a feature that's not worth using..

Thanks in advance!

Nothing beats high definition bullet holes! All kidding aside, there is no free lunch when it comes to optics.

Optics can see infinitely(well almost) without obstruction and are only limited by their own shortcomings/flaws. I had a lady ask me once, what power my bins were and how far could they see. I said, well I can see approximately 238,000 miles to the moon with them. She was astonished, lol.

What makes high end optics so great is their ability to keep a sharp image from great distances, and also in low light conditions or fighting through heat mirage. Also, the more expensive stuff will give you better images, especially when zoomed, as they won't have as much chromatic aberration and will offer a clearer image from edge to edge.

That said, I think the scope you have picked out should suit you fine for the application.

The technique of taking a photo through a spotting scope is referred to as Digiscoping. It's pretty fun...here are a few images I digiscoped recently

108A8A53-B2E7-4B05-8CBA-3288FB706AFB.jpeg E892E1BE-21A2-40BB-B249-191036469EA3.jpeg 2164527C-DA49-4CD3-84F5-5BF2CC3BB9C5.jpeg 84D09C67-7402-44B5-89E1-8BF06EEE4080.jpeg 1B3178A9-6AFF-4A02-80FB-06EE56F3A0CE.jpeg

As @Mister Bisley stated above, when it comes to optics, there is no free lunch. My background contains more experience with camera lenses than spotting scopes or rifle scopes, but the idea is still the same - cheap glass will show its limitations.

I bought my first spotting scope back in 2014 - a 20-60x60 Barska. I knew it wouldn't be high quality for the price ($70), but I had limited funds and I really just needed to get out to 100 yards. And for that price, the Barska is fine out to 100 yards. I've used it out to 300, but at that range, its limitations really start to show. Focus isn't as sharp or as bright and you can see more detail really falling off the edge of the image. Eye relief is pretty poor too as you can't use it if you're wearing safety glasses - you need your eye right on the eyepiece. And with any lens - camera, scope, binocular, spotting scope - the larger the objective lens - the big piece of glass in the front, the more light it will bring in, meaning you'll have a brighter and likely sharper image.

I would certainly advise on better optics if you plan to go beyond 100 yards. Just as with quality scopes, you're not going to find a hidden gem without shelling out some cash. I plan to replace the Barska eventually, but for now, it meets my needs.

Last Edited:
The mistake I made 30+ years ago was settling for 'what I could afford that looked like a hell of a deal'.....and in short order had disappointment for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

As I discovered the little holes at 100+ yards need enough resolution to differentiate THEM not just 'see the target'.

As I used the elCheap d'jour the unfolding reality was my (even then) decreasing clarity of vision, was not helped by a series of wrong choices.

Take this version out to confirm you can identify what you need to with the crucial 'resolution of .22 caliber holes' at the 100 & 200 yard distances. I've still got some moderately decent "good for .30 at 100 yards" but unsuitable for ".22 at 100 yards" glass. It's a handy bench tool for practice @ >50 yards. Being able to determine your shot placement helps considerably. If you can't see the spread of your group, adequately, what's the point?

Maybe this scope is adequate for that, a report would be nice. Good luck.

From what I've read you should buy the biggest objective lens you can reasonably afford. This is the light gathering function of the scope. That's one reason I was interested in the Konus 7120 (20-60 x 80) for $220. I couldn't find anything else with the angled eyepiece in that price category with an 80mm objective.

Further personal discovery on optics: whatever the reports say, what YOUR eyes see is the important factor.

My little pile of mistakes cost nearly $600 in 1980s dollars. One step up from baseline gave me a couple months of improved viewing. Then I noticed the blurry edges. After the next upward purchase, 'color aberration' was too pronounced. After that was settled with another annoying-yet-needed upgrade, the failure to actually resolve small holes became An Issue.

'Light gathering' is a concept while important, should not overrule your eye on such as 'image resolution'. And the 'massive cost' of the $350 scope of the era, were a waste for me. The $350 scopes of today I believe are inherently better.....yet my own eyes require better glass.

I finally stumbled across a deal on a slightly used Swarovski AT80, a massive improvement that has served well for 30+ years. So which was the best deal?

I spent a lot of $$$ unnecessarily by being in a hurry and not focusing (ho ho) on the most relevant feature for target viewing. Quality glass for resolution of .22 holes at 100+ yards trumps a lot of the other aspects needed in general scope uses.

But as always "YMMV"

I just received the Konus 15-45 X 60. Haven't had it to the range yet though. I'm a little disappointed that you have to have your eye socket right against the eye piece to get full view. That will make it a bit awkward with glasses on when shooting. I didn't realize that's the way they work. It was only $48.99 though.

In spotting scopes, IMO you get what you pay for.
I have a Simmons spotting scope ($100), and cannot remember the last time I pulled it out. I don't want to hear the sucking sound as I remove if from it's case.
I can see with it out to 300 yards but it's functionally useless beyond that.
At 60x, the distortion of the image is too much. I usually have it set at ~45x to give maximum magnification without the maximum distortion.
Your eye must be right up against the eye piece (safety glasses are a NO NO), and the dusk/dawne functionality is pathetic.

Fortunately, long ago someone said, "get ONLY good glass for your rifles" and I use those to spot my holes.
One other, HUGE difference in scopes: if you drop it, the great ones will stay OK, the suckage ones, well, it might be interesting. Dropped my simmons long ago, it came up looking like a broken leg, popped it apart, realigned everything and screwed it back together, and I could not tell the difference in the optical quality.

I can't for the life of me remember exactly what Spotting Scope I have but it's a B&L with the straight tube. They used to have the angled style but I don't care for them. I have no problem spotting .30 caliber holes at 1,000 meters/yards.

I just received the Konus 15-45 X 60. Haven't had it to the range yet though. I'm a little disappointed that you have to have your eye socket right against the eye piece to get full view. That will make it a bit awkward with glasses on when shooting. I didn't realize that's the way they work. It was only $48.99 though.

Pretty much all spotters are like this in my experience with them.

Is there a rubber lip around the eyepiece that can be folded down to make for better positioning? Or maybe it has an adjustable eyecup?

Pretty much all spotters are like this in my experience with them.

Is there a rubber lip around the eyepiece that can be folded down to make for better positioning? Or maybe it has an adjustable eyecup?
The cup slides in and out. It should work. Good lord, the prices of some of those things!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top