JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some feedback on cheap gun safe options. My new roommate/landlord insists that if I keep my guns in the house that they be locked in a safe. Not my favorite rule, but definitely fair in my opinion for the price she's charging. For the time being, seeing as how I'm not exactly rolling in money to buy a $1000 fire rated nice safe, I need to find an affordable yet functional lock box for my guns. Used is always my favorite option, but people seem to hold on to their safes for a long time. The Homak brand seems alright, but I figured I would ask people who knew better than I do.

Thanks for reading,

Jordan

Go to bimart they have Sentry gun safee.. They have a 14 gun safe for 399 right now i believe... its not fire rated tho. but they do sell fire rated ones as well

Dont know if you have Sports Authority in OR but I bought a 10 gun StackOn safe for like $225, and its the real safe, not the cabinet they make.

edit: I see you just want a place to lock them, StackOn gun cabinets are probably less than $100 as they are light gauge sheet metal.

Thanks for the tip on BiMart, there's a 10-gun for only $299. If I can't find a good used safe that might be the best deal right there. Also, if anyone has a spare safe laying around...let me know.

If you're main reason for buying a safe is just to satisfy you landlords requirements, buy the cheapest safe that will accomodate all of your guns and spend the rest on renters insurance to cover them against fire or theft.

There is a Sentry 14 gun safe at bi mart for $299 right now. Not fire proof but pretty nice for the money. It's electronic with a separate key slot.

I picked one up yesterday and like it.

The thin steel lockboxes are a bad idea.. a neighbor had a break in a few years ago and lost all his guns because the box was so easily broken into. yes it was a "gun cabinet". His was bolted down, I doubt you can even do that since you're renting.. they can just carry the cabinet out the door..

Cannon safes are a great value and they will actually protect your guns. If you can't drill into the floor to mount it, weigh it down with lead or other heavy stuff inside

http://www.cannonsafe.com/

I do have large, heavy gauge steel cabinets for ammo and accessories in my garage.. they are converted utility co ground transformer boxes that a buddy welded up for me. They hold a lot of stuff and didn't cost much, but are fugly

I bought an American Security 11 gun safe from Joe's before they went under. It was about $360 and is fire rated. Very nice for a small safe. Look them up under AmSec and you will find the one I'm talking about. Someone nearby has to carry the brand.

Andy

There is a Sentry 14 gun safe at bi mart for $299 right now. Not fire proof but pretty nice for the money. It's electronic with a separate key slot.

I picked one up yesterday and like it.

They had the same one at the Scappoose Fred Meyer (along with other safes) for the same price, but they had a bonus coupon for 10% off that would take it down to $269.

They had at least 4 or 5 different Sentry Safes.

Just a note that others here that have bought safes may echo. Take whatever capacity the safe says it is and cut that by 1/3 to 1/2 and that is how many long guns it will actually hold without jamming them in their and scratching them up or otherwise damaging them.

They have a bunch of different kinds, all cheap. Find a 20% off coupon. This month’s Popular Science or Mechanics has one.

Look up what they offer online. Most stores have in stock what they have online. If I remember correctly, all but one are approved by the state of California. :D

Ed

The thin steel lockboxes are a bad idea.. a neighbor had a break in a few years ago and lost all his guns because the box was so easily broken into. yes it was a "gun cabinet". His was bolted down, I doubt you can even do that since you're renting.. they can just carry the cabinet out the door..

Cannon safes are a great value and they will actually protect your guns. If you can't drill into the floor to mount it, weigh it down with lead or other heavy stuff inside

http://www.cannonsafe.com/

I do have large, heavy gauge steel cabinets for ammo and accessories in my garage.. they are converted utility co ground transformer boxes that a buddy welded up for me. They hold a lot of stuff and didn't cost much, but are fugly

+1 on the Cannon .... I have two of them and they are great!

For those with just a couple handguns, a cheap steel safe at Harbor Freight for $40 works great. It's not fire resistant, but it keeps the pistols out of the kids' hands. And keeps the wife happy :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top