JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I changed browsers last night because, You Tube started warning me that it would soon pull the plug on support for my 32 bit Google Chrome.
I downloaded a 32 bit version of FireFox and You Tube seemed to like that. I could go back to watching old WWII Russian Soaps.:p

Then this morning, I found non of the other Sites I frequented, including this one, would recognize me. My Log In wouldn't work any where.:eek:
Luckily I hadn't removed my old version of, "Chrome" and I was able to change back. Problem over for now....:rolleyes:

My wife has been telling me I should buy a new computer, but I have been running Win 'XP for years and feel comfortable with it. Besides, I'm
a graphics and video junky and I would hate to lose a lot of, "STUFF". I have a 64 bit Win'10 laptop that I was forced to buy in order to run the nav.
program for my boat, but I hate the feel of the Win'10 interface.:(

I'm not entirely computer illiterate, ( An old hacker, when it meant something ) but I'll afraid I'm in a rut, behind the curve.:confused:

Any ideas out there? :)

( An old hacker, when it meant something )
I don't know if I'd quite categorize phreaking as hacking ;)

Then this morning, I found non of the other Sites I frequented, including this one, would recognize me. My Log In wouldn't work any where.:eek:

This is expected behavior. Most sites store user data, including the browser, and drop a cookie as well. Many sites will store the login so that you can come back logged in. Others, like your bank, may store your user and auto-populate that for you in a login field but will force a password entry every time. Most browsers offer password storing features so that you can easily log in (btw, I would recommend you NOT use these).

Changing browsers means your fingerprint changed. You have to login again from scratch, user and password in all sites, in addition to any two-factor authorization that may be set up (getting a text message with a code to login, for example). It's not that you were actively being blocked, it's that you needed to reenter your credentials. If your login wouldn't work, the most common explanation is that you forgot your password, having stored it long ago in a password vault feature either through the browser or an add-on like LastPass (this one is alright).

My wife has been telling me I should buy a new computer, but I have been running Win 'XP for years and feel comfortable with it. Besides, I'm a graphics and video junky and I would hate to lose a lot of, "STUFF". I have a 64 bit Win'10 laptop that I was forced to buy in order to run the nav. program for my boat, but I hate the feel of the Win'10 interface.:(

Duuuuude. I love XP like the next guy but Win10 is a good step up. XP has hit end of life - support is yanked, patches aren't coming, and vulnerabilities will only multiply. Do you have the skill to recognize if your computer has been compromised?

Graphics and videos are filetypes that have been around and will continue to be around. Hell, even .jpg has better options (jpg 2000) that never caught on because of the sheer ubiquitousness of jpg. If you have a specific filetype that you're worried about, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise, anything that you have will function on a new computer running Windows 10. All you need to do is pass the files from one computer to the other; an easy way to do this is with an external hard drive. Dupe from old computer to the drive, drive to the new computer.

Windows XP has a hard limit of 3.25GB of memory that it will use. I've shot high-resolution digital images with cameras made in the last few years, worked them in Photoshop, saved a .psd that would literally bring your computer to its knees.

If you're into graphics and videos and video editing, then a new rig is going to blow your mind.

Any ideas out there? :)

Yep: Get a new rig!

Personally, I like to build 'em...really get the most bang for your buck and you get to spend more on the parts that will matter to you. But, if that's not your style, then you can always buy a machine...though I'd highly recommend formatting the darn thing and reinstalling Windows just to clear out all the garbage most manufacturers add in (lookin' at you, Dell).

Can you get a screen shot of that warning, I am not finding it in search.

FLASH is being dropped at end of the year, you'll need HTML 5 browser, which Chrome should be.

I use a password manager to allow logins anywhere: LastPass

For your Win10 system, you can install an XP Theme
example (top of the search list)

If you need suggestions for a new custom built PC I would be willing to help. I've built several in my life catered towards specific needs (mostly to gamers).

XP how I miss you.... Win10 is alright, better than 8 but not as calm as 7 was. The only annoyance with 10 is the updates it forces upon you and all the telemetry tho you can use things to get around this. 10 is more efficient with memory for doing things plus you would get a new face lift to some of the programs you use.

If you do buy a new PC I would advise against store bought towers or pre builts since they come loaded with bloatware and usually skim in quality parts such as power supplies or RAM.

Fortunately for you we're about to hit next gen graphics cards here in later of 2020. But the current market is good for selection just don't buy used GPU that's been thru bitmining hell with 10% life left on it.

You would also see a considerable performance increase from what you have now. Just know it'll require an entirely new mother board CPU and GPU/RAM. I just built my system in 2018 for around the $1400 mark. Then again I went for enthusiasts preferences. You could build a humble browser/workers rig for probably around $400.

( An old hacker, when it meant something ) :rolleyes:
I'm talking, "Hacking Code" when 16k was a lot of memory.:D

Thanks for the ideas. I've been putting my own machines together since '82 , but the last thing I did was jack up my old Dell GX620 with a duel processor from Hong Kong and I'm afraid it's getting a little long in tooth. :(

Looks like it's off to Tiger Direct....$$$$$ :(

All your login info that worked in previous versions (even after updating) of Mozilla Firefox, is not transferable with the latest versions of the same browser.
Meaning, You will have to physically login to all websites again. Supposedly Firefox offers a way to transfer previous login, and bookmarks by joining the Mozilla Firefox website. Could be, but they added more bloat and I don't feel it was something that is necessary. Given this, I did all my stuff manually, which was possibly a bit more of a headache.

I feel the same way about Windows 10... too much like a cell-phone interface, and I'm getting old enough to resist that kind of change. There used to be a few programs I needed Windows to run, but anymore, Linux does everything I need, without having to spend big bucks every few years for licenses.
The other benefit to having opted out of the Windows ecology, is that I don't get roped into fixing people's computers anymore... :p

Windows 7 Ultimate on all my boxes
Where it's at

Windows sucks TBH
Lots of bloat

I expect Mozilla Firefox to get Googled any time.

I ran RedHat Fedora from sometime in the 90's, and then started switching around when that got weird. Also ran Windows from 3.1 to 7. Debian seems good from a security standpoint, but required a little too much technical ability. Ubuntu is working pretty well for me, for the last few years. I don't play any pc games, so just having something that runs a browser, open office, and my audio recording workstation is all it has to do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top