JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Maybe it's just me, but I really dont think that I need to try any different ammos if my gun ftf, fte and fail to fire. If SHTF and you only have one type of ammo that you can find.... what are you going to do? praying that you get the right type of ammo that your gun can run flawless? I am very upset at people comments on gun forums that you need to try different type of ammos.

I have GSG-5 copy MP5 that I got sometime last year. It shoot great until couple months ago it start to ftf, fte, ftf.... I check out other website for troubleshoot and saw people comments try different ammo... I dont pay $500 for a riffle that picky on ammo. Even the ATI website state that use different ammo for troubleshooting. WTH? Why dont they fix the gun that can take all the ammo?

I agree with you on this subject. The only one of my guns that I have ever owned that has had failures is my 10/22. I bought it new a few months ago, and have failure to fire multiple times EVERYTIME I take it out. The .308 rifle I really want has been reported by many sources to be pretty picky on ammo.:mad:

I like my new FNP45, but it is the one handgun I have that will only fire round nose bullets. I have 6 other semi-auto pistols and I have fired just about every type of ammo through them with no problems. I guess as long as I know this fact then the FNP45 will always work. But it is very disappointing that it is so particular about ammo. I have a Taurus .45 and I have shot semi-wad cutters and flat nose and even some led non-jacketed rounds through it and it shot really well.

Auto loading firearms have had this issue since....oh, I dunno...Luger and Mauser back in the late 1800s, and always will.

While I agree that it can be frustrating, the issue isn't the handgun or rifle but the ammo manufacturing process. If SAAMI were to tighten up the standards a bit, it wouldn't be an issue....but we all want cheap ammo to plink with, and cheap ammo means lower standards.

I have the same issue with my Walther P22. Works great with high velocity rounds but the cheap stuff won't cycle....

So, it is what it is. A firearm with tight tolerances needs to be feed accordingly. If you want a gun that will cycle all the time with what ever ammo you put into it, buy an AK.

Last Edited:
Ammo can very easily be the problem with an autoloader. Assuming any 22 caliber rifle works with any 22 caliber ammunition is only a good idea with a bolt action. Subtle difference in bullet shape and velocity make a lot of difference in some guns.

Quality control between ammunition makers is different as well. Most companies would like to hear you tried at least a couple of types of ammo before asking you to send the gun back. Wasting time and money because of one bad box of shells is frustrating and expensive.

I think it's important to try different ammo if it's for defensive purposes. I know that some of the 1911's I owned will not cycle certain hollow points. Had to try a few different brands before I found the round that fed reliably. I usually look at ammo and mags first when I have feeding issues, especially FTF/FTRB.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top