JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just recently started reloading for my AR and have different powders. I am now using CFE223 and 55 grain fmj bullets. The data calls for about 26 grains for starting loads. I read on many forums and saw lots of people using 25 grains so I started there. It had a lot more kick than my loads using 4064 so I went down to 24, 23, 22, and then 21. I am getting good performance out of the 21 grain load so I am wondering if there is a reason to go back up. I am reloading for plinking shooting at a maximum of 100 yards using a red dot sight so I am not looking to put these in a real tight group. Your thoughts please.

I just recently started reloading for my AR and have different powders. I am now using CFE223 and 55 grain fmj bullets. The data calls for about 26 grains for starting loads. I read on many forums and saw lots of people using 25 grains so I started there. It had a lot more kick than my loads using 4064 so I went down to 24, 23, 22, and then 21. I am getting good performance out of the 21 grain load so I am wondering if there is a reason to go back up. I am reloading for plinking shooting at a maximum of 100 yards using a red dot sight so I am not looking to put these in a real tight group. Your thoughts please.
yeah, if your not sending them way out there, putting them through a chronograph, they hit what your aiming at and they cycle your rifle it sounds like your good to go for plinking and its easier on your rifle too....

However if the trajectory is drastically off than say your defensive ammo or hunting ammo then you you will be slightly off at distance.....don't know if it will make much difference between them all at only 100 yards but 21gr of CFE223 is sloth like in speed so if you have 556 ammo laying around POI wouldn't be the same
Might not apply but its all I could come up with lol

I only load handgun at this point, but in the future will do .223. Is there any data showing starting loads as low as you went? Using three sources, generally, for reference I find that, in hand gun, some books show lower starting charges than others so I'm confident that I don't need to worry about a bullet in the barrel. Just curious if you looked at more than one source.

I did and starting loads varied a bit.

None were as low as I am going but I have talked to others who load 22 grains with no problems. I am happy with how 21 grains works in my rifle so that is what I am going to use. This load would definitely not work for 200 yard shooting.

I began reloading in 1976.
Around 1980 I began to consider if my reloading could be any less sloppy.
Wanted to confirm bullet speed.
Chrony offered the first chronograph less than $500 (Oehler), I bought a Chrony F for $150.
Today, there are lots of affordable chronographs.
I still use that 35 year old Chrony F, and also own a CED-M2.
Some folks at DRRC have the MagnetoSpeed Sporter, an attractive unit as it straps to the barrel and there are no skyscreens to destroy.

Folks are still reloading their own ways. No way to prove what stuff will happen.
I have pieces of an M1A stock I picked up on the DRRC range. From the damage, it Kaboomed at the chamber. Like this one

Spend all that money on a gun, money on reloading equipment.
Buy a chronograph

I did and starting loads varied a bit.

None were as low as I am going but I have talked to others who load 22 grains with no problems. I am happy with how 21 grains works in my rifle so that is what I am going to use. This load would definitely not work for 200 yard shooting.

Thanks for the reply....I also load some handgun cartridges a hair lower than the book(s) say but I figure if it cycles dependably and throws the brass normally that I'm good to go (load?)

Always soaking up the info!

Trajectory.

Practice with what you will shoot when needed. You can have an inch + difference easily with that much drop in velocity, then using it for other stuff like critters your POA and POI will be nowhere near close.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top