JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

Steve and I were discussing his different training classes a few months ago, and he invited me out just to run through some things so he could see where I am at and how he teaches. Life got insane after that, but finally calmed down and we were able to get out and freeze our buts off for a while on Saturday.

What I thought would be a few hours of general plinking turned into 6 hours of intense 1:1 instruction, for which I will be forever grateful because I could never afford something like that.

In short, just go take the freaking class. I don't think any of you have shot with me, but I am a pretty good shot compared to the general public, like usually the best shot at the public range or class I take, and thought I was pretty good at "running the gun" compared to other people. But man, you don't know what you don't know.

I have been stalled the last 4 months because my training methods was just "try harder, go faster" and my draw, presentation, and form were all a jerky hunched up Costa impersonation of a tactical turtle.

I have a lot of work ahead of me for my weapon handling building back up from the foundations, but I can tell I finally be able to get past where I was at last week if I stick with it.

Following is a list of Big takeaways for me, non inclusive of everything covered:

Form:

Both rifle and handgun I was pretty hunched over. Relying on strength to much to keep everything flat. Steve got me to relax and find a posture that helped keep the gun flat during recoil, but didn't block my peripheral vision or tire myself out.

Draw:

Herky Jerky fast mess of ripping my gun out of its holster and throwing it in front of me like a softball pitch, to a deliberate efficient stroke. Not done yet by any means, but i know what to work on now.

Transitions:

Rifle to pistol, similar to the draw, I thought I knew basics here, but had to shave away inefficiencies.

Grip:

Corrected. Presented good theories on leveraging on the grip to prevent muzzle flip. I had watched a lot of videos and can shoot good fast groups, was was pulling some shots left. Corrected.

Covered all the fundamentals, which I think I knew a good portion of, but confirmed some things I was already doing that I thought were "wrong" that work well for me.

Overall just a good realistic instruction method based on real world experience, as well as a pleasant person to hang out with. My only complaint is that he lives to far away from me!

My only complaint is that he lives to far away from me!
"He lives too far away".... beatch, beatch, beatch..... LOL!

:D;)

For me that is one of the pluses, I like to go up there just to get the fuk out of here. I've been up there three times thus far and everything you said is spot on. First and foremost, Steve is a good man, I consider him a friend, my newest. Second, he knows what he is talking about and his training method comes from real world experience.

Taco, I'm glad you made it out there, I've been thinking of hitting you up for a get together, you and a few others. It is high time to do some team training.

I have been thru a few of Steve's classes, money well spent. I had the same experience as the OP as I thought I was a pretty advanced shooter, boy was I wrong as it only took Steve and crew about 10 minutes to politely humble my group and show us we needed to start with A to get to Z. I am a much better shooter now tho, but still have a more to learn which I am happy to work on with Steve's oversight in future classes as well as working on in my weekly shooting with my buddy's. I cannot rec Steve and crew enough, they are top knotch and will make you become one with your rifle/pistol. For those contemplating taking a class do it, you will not find a better instructor who bases his classes off real world experiences than the guys at The Cerberus Training Group.

Loved my one day class last August... learned a lot and took away even more to work on separately.

It's tough to get away over a weekend with my work schedule. Plus some expected expenses to plan for, but definitely worth the effort and I'll be making the effort again in '19, hopefully for a two day class.

Bring your sunscreen. By the time we were done the backs of my legs looked like week-old roller grill bratwurstesses (range faces east).

I have been thru a few of Steve's classes, money well spent. I had the same experience as the OP as I thought I was a pretty advanced shooter, boy was I wrong as it only took Steve and crew about 10 minutes to politely humble my group and show us we needed to start with A to get to Z. I am a much better shooter now tho, but still have a more to learn which I am happy to work on with Steve's oversight in future classes as well as working on in my weekly shooting with my buddy's. I cannot rec Steve and crew enough, they are top knotch and will make you become one with your rifle/pistol. For those contemplating taking a class do it, you will not find a better instructor who bases his classes off real world experiences than the guys at The Cerberus Training Group.

Well said.

The price that Steve charges more than makes up for the drive, as you will not find better training for anywhere close to what he offers.

I agree. I was hesitant to even post this thread, as I didn't want a line of people asking him for freebies. I will say this, my understanding of my skill level was close to correct, I probably could have done OK in an SAT class, maybe, BUT the lesson I got out of it was I will learn a TON at a run the gun class, and really begin to master the fundamnetals I thought I had down. I am going to take one next year.

Haha, at least 1 run the gun. Going to keep an ear to the ground on an SAT course though, and if that pops up first I am jumping. Otherwise will do RtG first and SAT 2nd.
Having taken a few classes I would start with the RTG class first, then let Steve dictate what class is next and so on. I put on 2 events(AK/Black rifles M&G) a year at Steves range and like to coordinate my classes at that time.

After the class, I went home and painted over all of my 3 dot sights, as a stand in until I can get TFO fronts and blacked out rear sights, or rip the fiber optic out/cover up 20181216_180809.jpg the rear TFOs.

I took the SAT class at the last AK event, plan to get dirty and I wouldn't bring a pistol you really care about. You will be on the ground manipulating your body shooting at diff angles. The red rock that lines Steves range did a number on my 226.

I have been thinking about going to his class
maybe he will give me so free instruction too
he is a long drive for a class

You're close compared to me. I have 200+ mile drive from where I live. I spent two nights at motel since I knew I would be too tired to drive back the same day. Really enjoyed the one day class too.

I took the SAT class at the last AK event, plan to get dirty and I wouldn't bring a pistol you really care about. You will be on the ground manipulating your body shooting at diff angles. The red rock that lines Steves range did a number on my 226.

If my CCW can't handle some dirt I will get a new CCW. Same story for my HD rifle. I think my p2000 could take it.

Last Edited:
If my CCW can't handle some dirt I will get a new CCW. Same story for my HD rifle
Yea mine was kinds self inflicted, after class mine was locked up solid with a few scratches. Steve was laughing/amazed how fast I was moving in the dirt to manipulate my body to get the shots off behind the baracades. I looked like I was breakdancing spinning on my hip grinding the pistol into the red rock lol, but got the job done.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top