JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Savage 24v .223/20Ga I inherited about twenty years ago. I now an contemplating building one rifle for a "Last/Best" going off the grid (dream) rifle. The one I have is not in terrible condition but was my grandfathers truck rifle and shows it, I also have done little to improve it's condition as I have had it since I was twelve or thirteen. I don't use the rifle much and I would like that to change....

The plan, I want a all purpose survival rifle. All the desirable attributes, Light, quick, versatile etc. I am conflicted on having the barrels of a cherished family heirloom ceramic coated but I know I will use it more and it would fit the bill well. When the time comes I will sell/give my collection away save a very few guns, this will always be a keeper.

Thoughts? would you ceramic coat it? am I doing a injustice? My grandpa has been gone over two decades but I carry a tremendous amount of respect for him to this day as do most who knew him.

Thanks.

I would think of the cerakote as preserving the rifle for future generations. Cerakote does not need to tacticool thus you can pick a color and gloss that best preserves the rifles' character. Sure it won't look like a high gloss blue...but most likely doesn't look that way now.

My step father had almost the same rifle, his was a 222 over 20g. When he passed his youngest son aquired that rifle, My mom gave David dibs of the two rifles he owned...I got the Remington Pump (760) in 270 Win

I would think of the cerakote as preserving the rifle for future generations. Cerakote does not need to tacticool thus you can pick a color and gloss that best preserves the rifles' character. Sure it won't look like a high gloss blue...but most likely doesn't look that way now.

My step father had almost the same rifle, his was a 222 over 20g. When he passed his youngest son aquired that rifle, My mom gave David dibs of the two rifles he owned...I got the Remington Pump (760) in 270 Win

Mine was actually a .222 that was rechambered somewhere along the way.

If it's in bad shape now (you said it's truck-gun heritage shows) I would cerakote it in a respectful, non-tacticool manner as a method of preservation. I have an old bolt-action .22 to which I'm considering doing something similar.

I wouldn't do it to make it into a project rifle (a survival rifle falls under that category in my world), but that's just me.

I should also add that I think that particular model of rifle is good for the purpose you propose, without a doubt. I just might find a different one to make my SHTF rifle, that's all.

Your grandpa put the wear into it, wore the blue in spots, scratched it. Coat it and you wont see all that anymore and it may not mean as much. If it were mine, I would find another rifle.

Yeah, I'm with Dunerunner on this one.
I have a few family guns that I'd never do anything with, an old AJ Aubrey 12 ga., a '92 Winchester that needs a loading gate and screw, (I've thought about fixing that '92 up, but it is fine, where it is,) one thing I DID do, was make a new scope ring for my dad's old JC Higgins model 30, I always wondered why he took the scope off, and after reading a thread here, I fished the gun and scope out of the safe, and the rear scope ring was missing from the scope.
I guess it broke somewhere along the line, so being as I work in a machine shop, I whittled out one during a couple of lunch hours.
It seems to me that the memories of the old guns we have from families, shouldn't be messed with too much.
But maybe that's just me...

I honestly cannot give my opinion without seeing pictures. Regardless it's your rifle do what you'd like with it. Since you plan on keeping it in the family your not hurting any monetary value as you'll never sell it. The only caution is once it's done it cannot be undone, so be sure.

OK, my 1950 Two Cents Worth...

My favorite Uncle gave me his favorite mitre saw... "Now you take care of it... Better than I did, OK"??? I almost swallowed my tounge, "Yes, Uncle Bill..." He had stopped using it, wheh a careless accident, dimpled the blade, we are talking a full Five inch deep, Stanley, from Eighty years ago from England, Mitre Saw. I think it devistated him, that dent... I took it to The BEST saw company in town, a third Generation Company now, Fourth Generation... I spoke to a High School friend, current owner then... Explained the situation... "YES, I can take out that dimple, and I will resharpen it, to Stanley Specifications, just for you...

I made a special sheath for the Like Brand New Saw... Eighty years old Quality Metal... And, I used it, kept it with my tools, as a Professional Floor Mechanic... And I am here to say, "Every Time I used it... I thought of my Uncle's gift". Not just that saw.... But the concept... Of Repair it to use it... He in his later years was dirt poor... Could not have bought that quality of saw, NOR PAID to repair it.

But Uncle Bill, Knew my Love, of Tools... And I cared for it, for decades... Until some toilet paper stole it from my tools. That would have never happened, in the Flooring Company I was in... But I was not working anymore, with Skilled Craftsmen, who understood integrity.

Bottom Line: If I had my Grandpa's Long Gun, like you spoke of... I would give it every possible repair, including Ceracoat it, I would Fill in every bruise in the stock, file out any burr, etc.

And, EVERY TIME I used my Grand Pa's Long Gun, I would have Extremely Happy Thoughts, of how He brought home a deer, or a Goose, Duck, Pheasant, etc.

The saying Your Miles May Vary MEANS a Bunch here...

It is Your Memories. Your Grand Father. Me... I never MET, either of my Real Grand Fathers... My "GRAND FATHER" adopted me,when his Wife Adopted me, as her Grandson..

"Emmet" gave his Side by Side Four10 & his Winchester Pump 22, to my (worthless) older brother, who sold them, when he was in a fix, or needed one. I would still have them... Had it been me that received them... I learned Shotgunning with that Four10, and to this day, I prefer .410 gauge, for the sport, recoil, lightness and RELOADING, I have studied that cartridge for the past Twenty years, and I currently own a Stevens 22-410 the forerunner of the Savage 24 series...

This week, I received a carton from DuraCoat, with $270.00 of products, that stevens will be my Second Long Gun, I need my Rossi M-92 in 38/357 finished to preserve it.... Odd how a Pre Sixties Stevens 22-410, that was a Truck Gun "beater" canhave a Better Finish, than a Three Year Old Rossi has... :(

I hope that give you pause to reflect,upon your Grand Pa, and his giftto you... I think, "ask yourself: would your Grand Pa PROTECT his gun, if he knew the modern coatings we have today"????

philip...

In the BoonDocks, my guns art Tools, I take Care of All my Tools... Don't you???

Why not just have it re-blued to the original factory finish.
You can refinish the stock yourself.
That way you can hand it down through the family with some hunting wear on it, and hopefully the next generation will thank you for your efforts in keeping it as original condition as possible.

Ask yourself what would your grandfather say if you were able to ask him this same question you are asking here. Make him proud and I'm guessing you'll be happy with the results.

Lots of good points as usual. A couple points I want to make or reiterate.

The rifle does need some attention (care/love) before really using it afield.
I don't want to make it some tacticool zombie slayer junk.
My grandpa would like to see it get used versus poked away in a safe for decades I truly believe As this is not some super rare item.
I know my self and if I went with the re-blue refinish route I would have it done too nice to really use hard.

I will get some pics.

This well be one of about four keeper guns when the time comes to head for the cabin and I need it to work for me or face the risk of totally trashing it. It will be my primary rifle for all daily tasks.

There are different grades of re-bluing. You could just do a basic re-blue and not a collector grade job. That would keep the cost down, especially since you plan on using the gun out in the field.
I picked up a vintage S&W Chief's Special for $200.00 awhile ago that cosmetically was in pretty rough looking condition and had it re-blued for less then $125.00.
It looks great and is now my wife's "go to" house gun.

There are different grades of re-bluing. You could just do a basic re-blue and not a collector grade job. That would keep the cost down, especially since you plan on using the gun out in the field.
I picked up a vintage S&W Chief's Special for $200.00 awhile ago that cosmetically was in pretty rough looking condition and had it re-blued for less then $125.00.
It looks great and is now my wife's "go to" house gun.

This is the way I'm leaning. A decent reblue and refinish. I want to use this gun and I want to protect it.

Pics
XN02k7Y.jpg
71GV6FC.jpg
lJnxwHh.jpg
NImuGKA.jpg
ZuiQEYG.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show