Cerakote Stealth

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by bmgm37, Dec 3, 2009.

1. bmgm37

bmgm37
    Coos Bay

2. sparkly_flea

sparkly_flea
    Beaver State

Cerakote is neat stuff. Fantastic abrasion resistance among other properties. I don't have any firearms with it but recently picked up a very cool cerakoted flashlight body which you might find of interest.

I like orange. Sorry if too far off topic.

3. RangerEric

RangerEric
    Willamette Valley

My poor rusty Kimber slide is currently in the process of being Cerakoted.

4. bmgm37

bmgm37
    Coos Bay

I am having a Winchester 1300 done in Olive Drab right now, cant wait to see it. Orange is my favorite color also as you can see from my avatar :D But I thought the shotgun might look a little funny orange.

5. sparkly_flea

sparkly_flea
    Beaver State

Looks good. What's old is new again. Do you spray it on? Does it come in orange? :)

6. crosse

crosse
    Bellevue

looks interesting...so is it 1 finish? or 2 finish jobs in one? (one for normal refinishing one for ir camo)
    i guess I wouldn't mind having one of my rifles done in multicam or digital for daytime and cerakote stealth for night...although if it costs a lot...mmmm iunno.

7. PBinWA

PBinWA
    Clark County

Great - now what happens when you set your gun down while you are taking a pee and can't find it again. ;)

8. bmgm37

bmgm37
    Coos Bay

Got my Winchester 1300 back and got a new stock set for Christmas....

1300win2.jpg

1300win.jpg

9. Noxspector

Noxspector
    Oregon

Is this a two part or one part chemical/epoxy? I have used moly coating for several years and have wanted to start playing with Cerakote and maybe a little Durakoting as well. What is the curing process of Cerakote?

10. Noxspector

Noxspector
    Oregon

This is Norrell's Moly. Brownell's is very similar I would guess.

http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_msds.asp

11. Noxspector

Noxspector
    Oregon

It's pretty easy to work with one part material that wears pretty dam good from my use so far. I want to start working with other coatings so I can have a bit more color selection to work with. I figure Cerakote would be the best choice for coating high temp suppressors. I like the idea of working with DuraKote, but I am of the understanding that it won't hold up as well as Moly, but is better than Krylon.

However for the most part I have been very happy with the Moly. Norrel's tan colors do take a lot more to cover though than the black or OD green.

My first Moly coating job. Brownell's OD and Black shown. Norrell's OD is much more OD that the Brownell's.