JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, but what does that mean for the application of "lawful purposes" ?

It means that what the USSC said in many instances in the Heller decision still stands:
The handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to self-defense) violate the Second Amendment. The District’s total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of “arms” that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense.

I recommend you read Heller carefully:

http://www.azcdl.org/USSC_DCvHeller.pdf

Have you looked at the appeal I've cited ? Just curious...

There are two problems with this case, and it's use...did you see the footnote:

Footnote: The statute excepts law enforcement officers, military personnel, and those lawfully carrying weapons incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.  18 U.S.C. § 930(d).  Murray does not fit any of the exceptions.

there is no information given as to why Mr. Murrey was armed...but I see nothing here "for self defense" as being argued as a "lawful purpose" that is/was excluded. It just not state why Murrey was armed with a BP pistol a all, so we don't know the reason, other than the jury did not think it was a "lawful" reason.

No, in both OR, ID and WA the state constitutions specifically state that an individual may bear arms for his/her own personal self defense. no license necessary. So, personal self defense has to be a lawful reason in our states.

Again, I will state, It is not that you may not be arrested...you probably will, but are you willing for the legal fight to prove a point?

We have a VA clinic here in Tonasket at the North Valley Hospitol (County owned public hospital) I know the hospital cannot prohibit weapons...can the clinic? I don't think so, but I have never been there though I sould really go for my hearing. Also, the people I get my Medicare supplimental insurance from say I can get meds through them rather than paying for manditory Medicare drug insurance. However, I don't use any meds so, again, never been there.

There are two problems with this case, and it's use...did you see the footnote:

Exactly. I can only speculate what would lawful purposes be in this case. Maybe turning in evidence to FBI ? Or transporting cash for an armed vehicle company ? Who knows... What we know, average Joe with a gun in a Federal Building is not lawful.

Now perhaps ZigZagZeke will correct me, but I believe I have seen precedents to work that way - once a higher blanket precedent is established (all average Joes with guns are no-no), next case to come up in a lower court will not attempt to make a more narrow ruling.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top