JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I shot a starling at about 25' with CCI 22 birdshot. The shot cup didn't open up, and it was stunned. The wife saw it and yelled "IT"S STARING AT ME!! YOU DIDN"T KILL IT!! DO SOMETHING!!!" I went to put the rifle away, and when I walked out to "Do something" it was gone. I'd say it isn't real good snake medicine. Stick with 38/357 birdshot.

I shot a starling at about 25' with CCI 22 birdshot. The shot cup didn't open up, and it was stunned. The wife saw it and yelled "IT"S STARING AT ME!! YOU DIDN"T KILL IT!! DO SOMETHING!!!" I went to put the rifle away, and when I walked out to "Do something" it was gone. I'd say it isn't real good snake medicine. Stick with 38/357 birdshot.
Yep it won't even penetrate cardboard at close range. About the same as throwing sand at something.

25 feet is WELL out of the practical range this ammo was designed for. As to the shot cup "not opening", I wonder how that was determined, since it makes sense that if that shot cup full of shot and intact hit a starling it would have gone clean through just like a .22 bullet.

The numerous rattlers I've dispatched over the years with .22 birdshot (lots were with a Bearcat: it was my constant companion from age 12) ended up with shredded heads. Again: walk right up to 'em just beyond striking range (2-6 feet: 6 feet is pushing it). Expecting results at 25 feet is no different than trying to bust a Pheasant at 80 yards with your 12 guage.
Yep it won't even penetrate cardboard at close range. About the same as throwing sand at something.
Okay, stand at rattlesnake distance (under 6 feet) and have a buddy take a pop at ya. Second thoughts now?

25 feet is WELL out of the practical range this ammo was designed for. As to the shot cup "not opening", I wonder how that was determined, since it makes sense that if that shot cup full of shot and intact hit a starling it would have gone clean through just like a .22 bullet.

The numerous rattlers I've dispatched over the years with .22 birdshot (lots were with a Bearcat: it was my constant companion from age 12) ended up with shredded heads. Again: walk right up to 'em just beyond striking range (2-6 feet: 6 feet is pushing it). Expecting results at 25 feet is no different than trying to bust a Pheasant at 80 yards with your 12 guage.

Okay, stand at rattlesnake distance (under 6 feet) and have a buddy take a pop at ya. Second thoughts now?
Why would I want to pick a bunch of bubbleguming lead dust out of my clothes. No thanks. Then again I could probably just brush it off as it's unlikely to even get stuck.

In the interest of wardrobe concerns expressed by an astute contributor here (and in serious consideration for the fact that Rattlesnakes most normally do not wear clothes), I was motivated to conduct an experiment of realism.

I might have encouraged a sharp-dressed man to not only allow a round of .22 bird shot to impact his body, but to expose (unclothed) that portion most resembling a Rattlesnake's head as the test media. I believe the response from that request would also be a negative, even though no dapper threads would be impacted.

...and for very good reason.

With a 4" barreled .22 pistol at 4 feet range (safe enough away from Rattler heads and similar shaped human appendages) I selected a Weenie of common brand (and admirable length, I might add), and took a shot with CCI .22lr bird shot delivered to the "head".

I freely admit the gun is not a Bearcat (rather a Browning Nomad). My little favorite was sold in a time of financial need; I've replaced it three times and none would shoot to point of aim as my first did, so they went down the road. I'm done buying Bearcats unless I could shoot it first.

Although technically this IS my Weenie (since I paid good money for it), I am glad it is not. Any slave to clothing fashions might share my happiness it is not theirs either.

1692630457005.png

This "snake"s head" was nearly severed. Had it been a Rattler or a NWFA Member's member, its days of injecting anyone with anything would be over. :cool:

Last Edited:
...and lest any experienced Rattlesnake killer claim my Weenie wasn't of adequate size, this little guy (at 46" minus the head that was similarly mangled by .22 bird shot as the Weenie) should impress any girl.

1692632612543.png

I've had my fair share of rattler encounters, mostly when quail hunting in AZ. My friends dog got bit twice.

We wore bite proof boots because you could step on one of those camo'd bastards before you even knew it was there.
I nearly stepped on a coiled rattlesnake in AZ. It was like a cartoon! I rose two feet and walked on air to retreat! We were hunting quail along the Tom Mix highway.